980 Ti Owners Thread

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by AvengerUK, Jun 1, 2015.

1. DeathAngel74

DeathAngel74 Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX1080Ti FTW3 Hbrd
    I remember using KBT before and it did weird things to the boost table. I set the boost this way. I can't get past 1519MHz, if your gpu can handle 1607, i'd say good job and you have an outstanding card. Sec.
    [​IMG]

2. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX980Ti OC
    Its just max internal boost clock, that's the same by Extreme . This was like a max possible unlocked clock, not that its stable at that clock.
    My stock max was 1531MHz and no I got artifacts above 1500mhz, didnt test more though, idk now did I used fixed fan or not lol, just tested it quick when I first got it, was gonna test more when I mod it to Extreme bios settings..

I also saw the same thing by Kepler Bios tweaker and my old 780GTX, max internal clock was much higher then my stable OC, think somewhere in 1340mhz range (I was stable up to 1215mhz).

Well I was more interested in other values, but I figured those out later :), 1st value is 16MHz higher, 2nd is 32MHz higher.

btw So these fan values should be the correct ones then right? Or is it like Asiju said it doubles fan speed.. I wouldn't want that..

I set mine to 25% as min possible - 704rpm is still super silent, its up to ~ 55%.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 6, 2016
  3. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2070 Armor
    ^ if those settings work for you no problem just keep them :)

For me changing the PER01 value caused weird things for whatever reason. Maybe the fan control is configured a bit differently in EVGA bios or something.

I set RPM01 to 850 because I also suspected it must be lower than RPM11. Later I realised changing the PER01 setting was the culprit, haven't yet changed it back to 1000.
    I tried first setting the PER01 / RPM01 to the same values as PER11 / RPM11 but then got that weird fan speed error.

EDIT: yep, now running RPM01 1000, the same as RPM11, no problems (PER01 at 0).

@DeathAngel74

what settings should I change if I want to increase the maximum voltage?
    I don't want to disable boost / throttling but would like to increase the max voltage for the highest boost state when overclocked.

The max I can get is 1224 mV (or temporarily 1243 mV). I tried increasing the value in the first slider to 1287.5 mV (initially 1250 mV) in the Voltage Table but that didn't help.

The default boost voltage is 1187 mV so AFAIK I should be able to go as far as 1274 mV (+87 mV offset). Unless the card is hardwired somehow to prevent that.

4. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2070 Armor
    Okay, something weird just happened, possibly unrelated but still:

after flashing the modded BIOS with RPM01 and 11 set the same, my PC began "stalling" during bootup. The BIOS splash screen stays on for multiple seconds (before just a second as that's set as my POST delay).

Also if I enter BIOS setup it takes several seconds for the setup screen to display and there's a notable input lag.

Already flashed the default BIOS back but that made no difference. Also this issue seems to be exclusive to restarts, cold boots work more or less as before.

What could cause this, is my PSU dying?

5. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX980Ti OC
    From what I've read once 1.23 - 1.25v is driver hardlocked. Mine seems to be 1.23v no matter what. I remember 780GTX was too, think 1.21v or so.. Only MSI AB extended unlocked it more, but it made the voltage in real values instead of offset.
    Although it doesn't do anything by 980TI, its still in offset.

How old is your psu?

Also about fan 0% can sometimes be a bit tricky, I've read that once in one review that some fan controllers can't handle 0% by start or something like that, 10% is apparently more of a safe bet..

Mine is set to 10% and 100% there by default.
    [​IMG]

I still haven't flashed mine yet to see what's up, but it shouldn't really cause such issues as you describe.
    Unless that fan config is wrong, well at 0% and 1000rpm is a bit off no? When you restart the pc gpu probably thinks 1000rpm and 0% how can I use that, right before restart its still in driver config mode then when you restart its internal bios fan kicks in.. idk just thinking out loud.

How does your stock bios fan profile looks like?

6. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1080Ti H20
    Post your bios and tell me what voltage you want under load. Most cards won't benefit from 1.274(max). These cards will have negative scaling past a certain point and can have weird artifacts.

Sweet spot seems to be 1.23-1.25 at most. Of course mileage will vary card to card. Mine seems to scale fine up to 1.274 but I am on water.

7. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2070 Armor
    @-Tj-

here is the default:
    [​IMG]

the percentage and RPM of the second threshold have a mismatch to begin with so... strange.

Resetting the stock BIOS didn't help which I think is even stranger and probably means the issue isn't GPU related but just coincidental. Maybe.

Everything seems to work normally. The sudden increase in boot time (and the input lag) is just worrying me, what the h... happened?

The PSU is around 2 years old iirc.

8. Angantyr

Angantyr Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2070 Super X
    I hope I'm not gonna derail your current discussion too much - But since this is the 980 Ti Owners thread. I was hoping some of you perhaps could help me out.

I'm currently in the process of upgrading a few things, and regarding a new GPU I'm considering the 980 TI series.

These are the ones I've been looking at. Any of you own one of these and perhaps could share your experience, the ups and down with them etc.

1) ZOTAC GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6GB
    2) EVGA GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6GB SC+
    3) Gigabyte GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6GB EXTREME

9. Singleton99

Singleton99 Maha Guru

GPU:
    Aorus-Extreme-1080TI
    i can only comment on my own two cards and so far for the last 3 months it's been all ups , im very happy with my msi gaming cards and they run all day @ 1354 boost clocks with no voltage increase or throttling , and this is the default boost clock , i've had them running at 1400mhz and still didn't have to increase the voltage .

think most 980ti all do about the same clocks give or take a bit , all 3 you have listed there are a solid choice in my opinion , do the zotac cards have a long warranty eg 5yrs , i cant remeber of the top of my head .

10. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2070 Armor
    Whew, it seems I got it fixed *knocks on wood*

Powered the system and the PSU down for a while. Now it works normally again.
    Maybe something got screwed with bios flashing back and forth. Complete power down most likely allowed the card to reset or whatnot (running default bios again).

It was pretty scary tbh, watching the clock in BIOS setup I saw the screen refreshed only every 4 seconds... dat rendering performance :)

@Angantyr

I can (despite the above ;)) recommend the EVGA from my experience. Have the SC+ myself, though got it just recently but very happy with it.

Quality build, solid performance.

@Agent-A01

thanks for the offer and info! I think I'm set with voltage tweaking for a while on second thought.

I can already do a hefty oc as is and if indeed higher voltage may not help then I won't bother. Especially as the voltage is most likely limited for a reason...

11. Angantyr

Angantyr Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2070 Super X
    EVGA, even though it has the lowest core clock of the ones I listed, is actually the one I'm strongly betting my money on. Just to sate my curiosity, do you by chance own Dragon Age Inquisition or Witcher 3 x)? If so, how is heat / noise from the card, and do you get superb experience in the games ( Not necessarily with Hairworks / gameworks option on ).

12. DeathAngel74

DeathAngel74 Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX1080Ti FTW3 Hbrd
    First, you need to unlock the 2 hidden sliders on your stock bios underneath the first one with KBT 1.27. I have attached a mod I did for someone, its 1.250v. Its a pita, but you'd need to copy the whole voltage table after unlocking the 2 sliders. Pics included. Unlock them with kbt and save the bios. THen you can continue to edit with mbt II 1.36
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Once you unlock and save, the checksum will change.
    http://www66.zippyshare.com/v/HYjALeMC/file.html

13. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2070 Armor
    Don't believe the listed clocks, this bad boy boosts to around 1350 MHz @ default ;)
    As do the others most likely but anyway.

Have neither of those games unfortunately but for example ROTTR can be played completely locked 1080p60 maxed out (no SSAA).
    Check the Guru3D VGA charts, they should give you an insight in 980 Ti performance.

@ stock the card is virtually silent during gaming and the temperatures are around 75 C.
    You can easily drop the temps further by using a custom fan curve in AB (or modding the BIOS if you're willing). This card has the zero fan thing meaning the fans spin up only at 60 C.

Silent, but allows the card to get hot quick. The ACX cooler is silent anyway up to around 50-60 % fan speed, depending ofc on ambient noise, case fans and such.

@DeathAngel74

thanks! Will give it a shot later.

14. Deathchild

Deathchild Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    I'd get the amp extreme or gigabyte xtreme out of those 3 since they got custom pcbs.

15. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2070 Armor
    ^ that's a good point actually. Angantyr especially if you're going to run the card oc'ed then the Zotac/Gigabyte might be the better bets.

16. Deathchild

Deathchild Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    Well only the EVGA out of those use a reference pcb.

17. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2070 Armor
    Whoops, my bad, correcting...

18. Deathchild

Deathchild Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    Yeah my bad I should've written better, amp extreme or "gigabyte" xtreme, I only wrote xtreme. :D

19. Angantyr

Angantyr Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2070 Super X
    Okay, so EVGA hasn't altered the PCB since getting the design from nvidia. Not sure what the big deal is with that? Anywho. I don't think I'm gonna be overclocking the card tbh. Though I'm a bit puzzled by the " This card has the zero fan thing meaning the fans spin up only at 60 C. " .. Due to my naivety I see that as a red flag, but eh, is an optional feature? Power saving option?

20. Deathchild

Deathchild Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    Forget about those 0db fan things and what not, custom pcb matters the most. If you want the most out of your card I suggest you get one of those.