980 Strix: Bad airflow or bad heatsink?

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by genbrien, Dec 24, 2014.

1. genbrien

genbrien Member Guru

GPU:
    Asus Strix GTX980
    Just got a 980 Strix this week.

Bought it because my R9 290 was loud and hot as *****

I did some test with my Strix and its wayyy hotter than it shoud be.

With default clocks, at idle, it stands between 55 and 60 with the fans running quite low, but still running. Full load it gets to 78 with fans at 68%......

I tried to OC it with the exact same parameters than the Guru3d's review and it tops at 127% power/90c and fans over 80% :puke2:

My CPU idle is about 55 and full load 65.

So do you think its a bad airflow problem or the paste/heatsink must be resit correctly?

idle
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

full load
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Alex13

Alex13 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    Try with the case open. If it stops running hot then it's your case. If it runs hot with your case then.. well it has to be your card.

3. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 2080 Dual OC
    Your CPU idling at 55c is another indication of bad airflow. Intel CPUs idle around low 30s typically. So no wonder a GPU thats designed to have no fans active until 60c would idle high if its also affected by bad airflow.

4. genbrien

genbrien Member Guru

GPU:
    Asus Strix GTX980
    CPU dropped down by 8c but GPu stays about the same at over 55 up to 60..... :bang:

I never removed a GPU heatsink. I guess I'll have to repaste it?....
    Any suggestion wich paste to buy?

5. genbrien

genbrien Member Guru

GPU:
    Asus Strix GTX980
    I just lost 8 degrees with opened case, so idle at about 47.
    it's clock 24/7 at 4.6ghz....
    Show me a 2600k that's clock like that on air and stays in the low 30's

I was wondering because it's between 15 and 20 degrees hotter at idle that the review here
    But it might be both: bad airflow + bad placed heatsink

6. Alex13

Alex13 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    55-60 idle or under 100% load?

7. genbrien

genbrien Member Guru

GPU:
    Asus Strix GTX980
    idle for the GPU

test default clock with 55% fan speed, running Unigine Heaven. As soon as it start it jump to 70 and after less than 1 min tops to 79-80 (with open case)

Last edited: Dec 24, 2014
  8. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 2080 Dual OC
    Depends on how you overclock. If speedstep and power saving features are enabled you can get a much lower idle temp.

Since you've already seen CPU go down 8c by opening side, then bad airflow is your most likely cause. You are not guaranteed to get better idle temps on your Strix if your re-do the thermal paste, and you will void warranty.

Why not use MSI AB and create fan profiles to the temps you want?

p.s. just noticed you have a CM690. Those are supposed to have great airflow... hmm.

9. genbrien

genbrien Member Guru

GPU:
    Asus Strix GTX980
    Did it.

Like I said in the 1st post, to get that:
    http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/asus_geforce_gtx_980_strix_review,26.html

I have to put the fan at over 80% and it reaches 90 celcius

10. CalculuS

CalculuS Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 960M
    I'd contact Asus, thats not normal.

11. kaingr

kaingr Member Guru

GPU:
    gigabyte waterforce 1080
    mine idles about 35 and my i7 is at 5ghz on air!!!

12. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 2080 Dual OC
  13. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1080Ti H20
    I7 idling in the 50s? Not normal, there's probably nothing wrong with the 980

14. genbrien

genbrien Member Guru

GPU:
    Asus Strix GTX980
    I just removed the best I could all the dust + redid some wiring:

CPU nows idle between 36 and 40.

I took out the 980 and I dont know if it's normal but I can move the whole heatsink back and forth a bit, maybe 2-3 degrees. I checked the 3 screws(1 had a sticker on it) and they were very tight.

Now it idles steady at 58 with 0% fan and 40 with 55%.
    @55% it still reaches 78 but only at stage 24/26 of Unigine Heaven

but it still seems a bit hot me think....

EDIT: and for the Strix, should I use their program (Asus GPU tweak) or stick with MSI AB?

15. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 2080 Dual OC
    My Strix (970) goes up to 78c when stressed but idles at 38-40. The 980 ref cooled card is 79c load in guru review. Custom cooled cards like the Strix, MSI gaming, etc, are typically a few degrees lower but not all are consistent. So you're OK.

Cant comment on Asus GPU Tweak as not used it in a while, but MSI AB is a known and proven software that works well. It should tame that 55c idle, but if even if you left it at that it wont hurt the card (remember when 60c idle cards were the norm several years back?).

16. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RX5700
    My 2600K idled at 32C on air..... Do you have HT enabled? If not, 4.6ghz is easy.

17. genbrien

genbrien Member Guru

GPU:
    Asus Strix GTX980
    yes HT is ON. It was clocked @ 4.8ghz before, but decided to drop 200mhz to get HT

18. Reddoguk

Reddoguk Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Guru3d GTX 980 G1
    BTW do you have stepping switched off or something? because my quad is pushed hard @ 4Gz but obviously sits @ 22C idle. If you are idling at 55C then either your cooling is crap, airflow none existent, cracked or bad thermal paste, fans not working or your PC is set to Max Performance in windows and not Balanced like most use.

Both CPU & GPU should idle around the 30s mark which is room temp +10 usually.

19. genbrien

genbrien Member Guru

GPU:
    Asus Strix GTX980
    Like I said I removed the dust and now the CPU is 36c at idle

I uninstalled all the drivers + msi ab + asus gpu tweak and reinstalled all fresh.

Now gpu idle with 0% fan is 38c and full load 80c with autofan.
    Will try to tweak the fan profile to see if it helps

EDIT: ran 3d mark Firestrike,
    Peak temp was 74c with 51% fan with default clock.

Can someone compared to this please?

20. Thalyn

Thalyn Member Guru

GPU:
    ASUS Strix GTX 980 DCU2
    How close is the AC-1 to the 980?

I used to have a Sound Blaster ZxR in my system, with the daughterboard pretty much choked the rear-most fan on my 980 as it was in the very next slot (mATX case so no option elsewhere). Temperatures were pretty woeful. I then set about trying to repositioning the daughterboard with some case modification and managed to short it out with a home-made ribbon cable, so I pulled the soundcard entirely. When doing so, I also flipped my PSU to draw air in from outside (Silverstone Temjin TJ08E-B Evolution case).

Temperatures improved significantly as a result - it was no longer throttling at all due to thermals, and staying mostly in the low 70s.

I now have a Sound Blaster Z back in there and the temps have increased again, but at least I've got 1 card width of breathing room. A quick but flawed test with FurMark has temps settling at an acceptable 79ºc (+51ºc over ambient) with the fans at 70%/2200rpm (auto). That's using +151/+400 offsets (1,467MHz core, 7,806MHz effective RAM), with no additional voltage.

Ideally you want to make sure you've got at least half the fan's diameter in clearance between the Strix and the next obstruction. I've currently got about half that. Without the soundcard my temps were around 6ºc better.

I'm still planning on going liquid at some point. Today's only a mild Summer day, and I expect ambients to increase by another 10ºc before things start cooling down properly.