9700 pro bad performance

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by rainmx, Apr 24, 2003.

1. rainmx

rainmx Member

GPU:
    Geforce 7600GT
    I have a Readon 9700 pro and i am getting alot of studder
    and slow down and thats with aa cut off it happens
    in Max Payne Splinter cell and Unreal 2 I should get better
    Performance then that I would Think?
    I have tried cats 2.5 all the way upto the new 3.3 with no luck
    Any suggestions

P4 2.4@2.8
    Readon 9700 pro
    256 800mhz RD Ram
    WD 40gb 7200 HD
    Realtek AC97 audio
    Win XP Pro

2. TheDigitalJedi

TheDigitalJedi Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3090 + CX OLED
    Make sure all previous drivers are completely gone from you system. Especially Nvidia drivers. I would also suggest increasing your ram to 512 mb. You'll definetely see a performance boost.

Go into your bios

Disable Video Cache.

Try setting your AGP Aperture to 128.

If you can, toggle your AGP Voltage to 1.6 or 1.7. Mine is at 1.7

Check to see if your card is sharing an IRQ with another device, if so, set your card with its own IRQ.

Enable 8x AGP. Games like Splinter Cell and Unreal 2 are graphically intensive, any boost will help.

Play around with your memory timings but do not get too aggressive with them. This can cause your PC to lockup.

Mine are at 2,2,2,5

I believe once you increase your memory to 512mb and toggle your AGP Voltage you will see a performance boost with your card.

Make sure you have the latest BIOS and chipset drivers for your motherboard and check to see if thier are any compatibility issues with the 9700 pro.

Also, be sure to install the 9700 pro EXACTLY the way the instructions display installation. Many people argue this but I had the opportunity to speak with an ATI tech and he stronlgly suggested proper installation.

You have a nice PC. I'm sure you have a power supply that is 350 watts or higher. 300 watts is the minimum for this vid card but I would get a stronger one hands down. The 9500 - 9800 pros are power hungry video cards.

Most people that had Nvidia cards before they switched to ATI found that formatting thier systems cleared thier problems.

I hope you don't have to go through all that trouble but its just a suggestion.

Hope this helps.

3. rainmx

rainmx Member

GPU:
    Geforce 7600GT
    Thanks DigitalJedi I think your right about the ram i think i will
    add more soon thanks for all the advice

4. TheDigitalJedi

GPU:
    RTX 3090 + CX OLED
    No problem Rain.........Many people have helped me....lol....:)

5. Y2A

Y2A Master Guru

GPU:
    BFG Geforce 6800 OC (16, 6 400/850)
    It's not your ram. 256MB is sufficient for max pain, you shouldn't stutter that badly expecially on the GPU/CPU. However Splinter Cell/Unreal 2 are a different story and RAM IS needed... To fix the problem with Max Payne, I, personally, would reformat your hard drive, if your using XP install SP1 (for Win2k install the newest service pack, I believe it is 3). This should up your performance substantially.

6. TheDigitalJedi

GPU:
    RTX 3090 + CX OLED
    Y2A,

The bottom line is that rainmx would definitely benefit from another 256mb stick. WinXP alone uses enough resources along with the multiple games and his other applications. You say that ram isn't his problem with Max Payne but this can be very much open for a debate.

It would also depend on whatever else rainmx has installed on the system. I understand Max Payne is not as demanding as Unreal 2 and Spinter Cell but the fact is this person has all 3 titles so therefore more ram is needed.

This is kinda weird because in the end you say more ram is needed but I guess I'm wondering why you would say "It's not your ram" when this person has all 3 titles installed?

It's seems as if you start to disagree but end up agreeing in the end.

7. V_LESTAT

V_LESTAT Maha Guru

GPU:
    PNY XLR8 GTX280
    agreed any machine running XP and anything under 512mb of ram is just asking for slowness.

the choppiness you speak of has been proven to come from fastwrites being on, turn it off. it wont slow you down any either. also try turning off writecombining

but if its already off and still studdering,, hhmm,, gunna need more info about your current bios and ati settings in order to give you a proper guestimate