970 satisfaction poll

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by alanm, Jan 24, 2015.

?

970 satisfaction poll

1. Love my card, no issues that dampen my gaming experience.

56.8%
  2. Like the card, have issues, but still believe worth keeping.

8.3%
  3. Like the card, no issues, but memory allocation controversy has me concerned.

17.4%
  4. Like the card, no issues, but memory allocation controversy has spooked me into regret for buying.

8.3%
  5. Have substantial issues where I regret buying the card.

9.1%
  1. PNeV

PNeV Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1070 Armor
    I do agree with those who say this is a non-issue. So it can only use 3.5GB of its 4GB Memory. I am pretty sure those who are going to be pushing a resolution that warrants that much VRAM is going to go for a 980/290X 8GB anyway, especially when getting into QHD/4K space. I am sure if I got a 970 for my res (1080P), I probably wouldn't even use 3GB of the 4GB. Besides the KFA2 Infinity one looks tasty!

Since when did Graphics Cards become so scandalous?

2. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2080Ti
    The coin is two sided, people overreact on the Internet because they can. But they also want to get what they paid for.

I agree though with what you said - sure, when I tried Shadow of Mordor on Ultra textures, it ate more than 3.5GB VRAM at 1440p but the FPS hit was too great for me to enjoy the game so I went back to High. Since I doubt 970 SLI have enough power to drive all future games at 1440p at a respectable framerate, I will most likely have to lower some graphical settings which in turn will decrease the required VRAM = problem "solved".

That depends on your graphical requirements and FPS goal. Running a 1440p/144Hz capable monitor I'd say not true in all scenarios. A few examples if you want: I cant max Shadow of Mordor, FC4 or ACU unless I want sub 60FPS which I don't.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2015
  3. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RX5700
    Since NVidia lied to manufacturers about the cooling requirements of the G84m and G86m GPU's that caused millions of laptops to suffer GPU failures due to inadequate cooling. Yes, that was a long time ago now....still doesn't change the facts....

4. IcarusLSC

IcarusLSC Active Member

GPU:
    These 9xx cards have been a pure nightmare for me so far (sorry it is so long!):

I started with two PNY 970's in this newly built system. On one the fan didn't work out of the box, and the other made awful grinding type noises from the fan I think, so they were returned as I read this was common with them. I didn't get to test the one card out much due to the noise, but it overclocked decent but ran pretty hot, so I left it at stock till I decided to return them for the fan issues and the one doa fan.

Then moved on to a single MSI 970. It had coil whine so loud I could hear it down the stairs in the kitchen!
    I read it could be partially caused by the PSU so bought a new great reviewed one and it still persisted badly so I returned it. Didn't get to test it out any more than that.

So then I tried two Zotac 970 Omegas. These were good for noise, but awful overclockers for being hyped so much as overclocking cards with 2 8-pins power, OC+, Firestorm etc etc. They were voltage locked too even with tier crap software. They ran very hot too for having a three slot cooler! Then the next day I bumped the fan very lightly on one and the blade fell off. So back those cards went as well. Firestorm is so buggy it didn't do anything most of the time, settings never stuck etc...

From there I got a MSI 980, as I've read supposedly far less issues with the 980's. This is when I started getting the bad banding issues and a bit of stuttering in games like BFBC2, diff Bioshock versions etc.

I contacted MSI and nVidia by now to see what was going on, and started the testing with a different computer, equipment etc, etc. I am getting really concerned now with whether its hardware or software/driver issues. MSI, Asus and nVidia all think its the video cards, especially after trying in two systems. After no resolve with the MSI 980 I moved on to the two Asus Strix 970 OC's which has made the issues even worse... The Asus ones were by far the worst to the point it would freeze the whole system and I'd have to hard reset.

Temps, and voltages seem fine, through software and physical measurements. I've tried them in two totally separate systems (this new build and my old i5 750 one), with three different monitors, different cables: dvi/displayport, memory, video driver versions, etc etc, and the issues persist...

I spent a few hours with nVidia on the phone 3 or 4 times now trying to solve this but we are baffled now. I have contacted MSI and Asus for help, but they said from what I have tried to RMA or replace the cards, so not to helpful...

I am now on card number 10, a pair of Gigabyte 970s in SLI and still having major stuttering in a few games like BFBC2, Bioshock, Farcry 4, AC Unity, etc.

Newest drivers don't help much and my few support tickets with Nvidia, Gigabyte, and EA (this is the worst game) have now been unanswered since December of last year for the most part. Ubi is the only one still trying to help, though its been very basic like try diff cables etc which I have done.

Games do this both in SLI and individual. The Nvidia drivers have had so many issues like blue screens when trying to install or take them out I've had to reinstall Windows, my games and everything 4 times now. I got fatal system errors with Nvidia drivers that I wasn't able to fix other than losing everything and reinstalling.

NVidia has finally blamed the drivers last winter, but I've still heard nothing back from them no matter how I try to get a reply.

I wish so bad I could return these cards and am so frustrated at the issues I've had with these Nvidia cards. It has caused huge mental anguish and the lack of support from a paying customer is inane. I've spent dozens and dozens of hours literally working on this myself and with some of these companies, on a daily weekday basis for the first few months. I will not be buying or recommending Nvidia products ever again for myself, friends nor customers due to these on going and unanswered issues since December of LAST year....

Last edited: Apr 1, 2015

5. A M D BugBear

A M D BugBear Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4 GTX 970-Quad Sli
    Love the gtx 970's, They overclock like one BAAAAAAAAD MOFO!!

Stock reference 1050mhz, Mine is closer to 1600(Est max)

That is insane.

One is running @ 1560mhz, the other one is @ 1590, Both rock solid stable.

I have tried 1600mhz and higher, it runs but becomes unstable sooner or later, no matter the voltage tweaks I use.

1600mhz seems to run ok but after some time, visible artifacts shows up, very tiny then later on progresses even more so I had to back down the clocks a bit.

Memory for both gpu's is running @ 7700mhz.

Only bad thing about it, I could use more vram, just a tad bit, I go very insane with the resolution and nvidia's Best Friend:

Nvidia Inspector

and its AA settings.

Geforce + Nvidia Inspector = FTW!!!!!

Am I concerned with that .5 gb Allocation bug, not really, Some games I have gotten to like 4gb, seems to have no issues, some games I think might have some issues but so far I think its doing alright.

I am really looking at the 980ti's and the radeon 390x at this moment.

Good timing for win10, stack those vram :).

6. snorge

snorge Member Guru

GPU:
    gtx 970 SLI
    Either this is a troll post of you are having some other issues. No way in hell you could get that many problematic cards in a row. There is always a small percentage of faulty cards in any line Nvidia or AMD, but if there was a widespread problem with the 9 series it would have been reported on a lot of review sites and with customer feedback in places like Newegg and Amazon.

7. IcarusLSC

IcarusLSC Active Member

GPU:
    Read the bottom where I said NVidia blamed the drivers. All the companies blamed the cards btw as I said too...

8. Alex13

Alex13 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    If i had 1mil I'd be willing to bet it all that there's some other issue with your system.

9. IcarusLSC

IcarusLSC Active Member

GPU:
    I've tried them in two totally separate systems (this new build and my old i5 750 one), with three different monitors, different cables: dvi/displayport, diff memory, 3 PSUs, video driver versions, etc etc.
    Could be...

10. A M D BugBear

GPU:
    4 GTX 970-Quad Sli
    Oh just heads up to everyone, I did that vram benchmark thingy and man does it slow down BIG time after 2.9gb range and up, but I am taking this program with a grain of salt, the program could be manipulated in a way for us to think that there is something defint wrong with theses cards, so I ain't taking absolutely nothing for granted.

From 2.9GB and thereon, games seems to be running alright. Like I said, I think I have gotten farcry 4 up to as high as 4.036gb vram, kinda slow well what you expect at that kind of frame buffer, but seems to be running ok, any stuttering? Maybe a few, not awhole lot to pull your hair out.

11. Slam

Slam Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 2070 XC
    Love the card. I game at 1080p, with everything cranked. Works great.

I've been building computers since '88, and the one thing I've never done is SLI. The price/performance of the 970 is making me itch to add another. lol

12. A M D BugBear

GPU:
    4 GTX 970-Quad Sli

If I were you, wait for few months until the 980ti's comes out.

And if your only gaming at 1920X1080 without dsr, I would just overclock the 970 and diss the sli for the time being.

If you use nvidia inspector and override with totally sick ass AA settings on top of your game, you might want to go to sli, but at that resolution, you should be fine.

If your gonna use dsr, then defint go with another 970 and overclock that one BAAAAD MOFO!

If you dont feel like waitin', go get another 970.

Personally My eyes is on the 390x at this moment and of course, 980ti.

13. Alex13

Alex13 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    3 month necrothread, RIP

14. A M D BugBear

GPU:
    4 GTX 970-Quad Sli
    A-M-E-N = Spells AMEN!

15. IcarusLSC

IcarusLSC Active Member

GPU:
    God forbid we talk about a current gen card. Especially one that has warranted so much disdain and conflict like these 970's.

16. Alex13

Alex13 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    removed

17. Killer01WS6

Killer01WS6 Member

GPU:
    MSI Gaming 970 4G SLI
    This is my setup.
    Eats all I throw at it so far all maxed out. will be playing FC4 soon but expect no change from the games played so far.

18. IcarusLSC

IcarusLSC Active Member

GPU:
    Ok I am done with Nvidia. They deleted my many tickets without a reply for these stuttering and other many issues after blaming the drivers themselves, but saying nothing more in six months other than they are working on it but nothing, no updates or anything even when I ask/call/email etc! I can still access my old ones from my 480/8800/etc days and earlier, but all these new ones are deleted! How's that for caring for their customers! They wont see another dime from me or my customers again after this.

two main (among many!) ReferenceNumbers
    141029-000344
    150320-000034

Last edited: May 14, 2015
  19. CK the Greek

CK the Greek Maha Guru

GPU:
    GB 2060S,Gsync,3DV2
    They've answered many times about the same Q you've asked them. If I were you and I was so unsatisfied for all these reasons I would have sell/change/do-whatever-to-get-rid-of-them and go to AMD side. Simple.

20. IcarusLSC

IcarusLSC Active Member

GPU:
    Sorry I don't understand your reply, they have not answered anything yet, they said they were working on it literally six months ago, and even with calls/emails they have not said a thing since. They blamed the drivers and nothing... This is extremely poor service, and then to delete the tickets without update is unacceptable.

Last edited: May 14, 2015