970 memory allocation issue revisited

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by alanm, Jan 23, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Portuogral

Portuogral Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X
    Absolutely. I agree.

But, here's the thing: as is impossible to prove nVIDIA falsely advertised the gTX 970 specs on purpose, is also impossible to prove people didn't bought the card based on the specs. The FACT established is "nVIDIA falsely advertised the card". On that grounds alone, people are entitled to compensation, imo.

2. Pepi

Pepi Member

GPU:
    gtx 980 acx 2.0 sli ekwc
    Not the same, that Is normal price drop, gtx 980 still holds it's price, so it's ok who owns gtx 970 to upgrade to gtx 980 for few bucks, and i had to pay full price, not in my book

3. Pepi

Pepi Member

GPU:
    gtx 980 acx 2.0 sli ekwc
    Perfect answer

4. riardon

riardon Active Member

GPU:
    Nvidia GTX760
    A form of compensation would do the trick. Maybe the car performs as it performed since the launch but trust was shaken and shuttered. AMD is releasing new line of card very soon. In my country many sites have article titles like "GTX970 has memory allocation bug?". People who planned to buy a GTX970 will not buy it now. I bought it only to find this. I've lost my trust since I don't believe this was a simple spec list mistake.
    Why Nvidia doesn't make an official big announcement already and they just send individuals in forums to try convince us about the mistake? No offence but this is not very good in my eyes. What about all those people who read about a problematic card but they don't use forums?
    An upgrade plan to GTX980 with discount or something like this would earn trust back and also good reputation but this is not my decision. I could return my card and ask for a refund but I don't want to buy a GTX960 or something older and deffinately not an AMD card as I use a G-Sync monitor. For this I wait for a form of compensation by Nvidia. If not next time I will upgrade to an AMD card.

5. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    For majority of 970 users this should be a non-issue, but for those running 4k SLI setups it's not so simple. Game or 2 wouldn't do it for me..

If I was 970 owner, I would want full story on how it came to this.
    When someone does me wrong, I want wrongdoer coming clean. And that's usually enough for me.

I can see Nvidia unintentionally sending wrong specs in the review guide.
    But no one noticing anything in the meantime is hard to believe.

Also, 64 ROPS, 2MB L2 cache being simple mistake is quite possible, but how come Nvidia did not at all mention asymmetric (3.5GB/0.5GB VRAM ) VRAM configuration in the review guide?
    Simple truth usually goes a long way.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2015
  6. stevevnicks

stevevnicks Maha Guru

GPU:
    Don't need one
    next people will be demanding, Nvidia has to pull the pants down of the person/s responsible for not spotting the mistake and give them a Public Spanking !!

7. FatBoyNL

FatBoyNL Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2070 Gaming Z
    MrBenB, thanks for joining our forum. Funny you mentioned CUDA calls only reporting 1792kB L2 cache, as I'd noticed that in AIDA64 already. I just suspected AIDA64 being at fault and honestly, I don't even really care much about CUDA yet. But I do care about having a 512MB chunk of less performing VRAM, as I intended to go SLI further up the road :(

Could you please confirm NVIDIA is considering to re-please disgruntled 970 buyers?
    Something like a discounted step-up program for 970 owners like Pestul and others suggested?
    Another good idea might be Vox94's, to give the user the control over what data is send to which partition by driver settings. That would be great fun benchmarking for lots of us as well ;)
    Also, I heard reports about MSI Germany promising a new Gaming 4G BIOS to address this issue. Would that even be possible?

8. Pestul

Pestul Active Member

GPU:
    Zotac 970
    Free games do not give you the card you thought you had in the first place. The entire 4GB was a huge reason a lot of us purchased the card. It was assumed because their competitors offer two 4GB cards that lack bandwidth variances, that it would be the same with the Maxwell line.

For anyone who's really upset about it, the only real compensation is either a return (and purchase the competitors card), or a discounted update to the full featured GTX980. Everyone who purchased the GTX970 were not looking for a $500+ single GPU as with the 980.

9. Portuogral

Portuogral Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X
    Let's put it this way: when I bought a GTX 970, there was no game being offered. Two weeks after, GTX 900 series buyers would get a $60 value game.
    Got upset? Live with it! Is how the game plays.

Now, how getting a $60 discount on a GTX 980 is different from getting a $60 game? Same value; different marketing strategies.

You need to realise, owners that are turned off with GTX 970 but many owners had bought it because of Maxwell efficiency and G-Sync,not to mention all nVIDIA exclusive features. If they return the card because their perception of the card changed (remember: because of nVIDIA) and want to get rid of it, where will they get the same GPU architecture and nVIDIA features? To GTX 960? Of course not. They will turn to the GTX 980. In the end of the day nVIDIA f*cked it up. Has to take responsability and be hurt where it hurts more: its pockets.

10. Portuogral

Portuogral Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X
    Want to bet someone at nVIDIA will be fired or transfered to Siberia, because of this fiasco? Mark my words.

11. FatBoyNL

FatBoyNL Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2070 Gaming Z
    -getting a $60 discount on a GTX 980 is different from getting a $60 game?

Yes, I think so.
    Already got all games I like at the moment :)
    Need to have my 64 ROP count, 2MB L2 cache and fully performing 4GB frame buffer. I just feel cheated about that, sorry. No future SLI for me because of that :(
    And I generally don't buy my games for ridiculous prices of 60 dollars/euros. Most for far less.

12. rm082e

rm082e Master Guru

GPU:
    3080 - QHD@165hz
    Compensation - being able to return the card and get a card that performs to your expectations.

Getting a free game isn't going to make the 970 suddenly have 64 ROPs, so it isn't a fitting compensation.

13. nanogenesis

nanogenesis Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI R9 390X 1178|6350
    This got out of hand. It seems we bombarded too many questions.

At this stage, you can only get answers regarding genuine questions with the 970, not marketing ethics.

14. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080Ti Strix H20
    Even besides the fact that 980 sli is only like 10% faster than 970 SLI in 4k benches?

15. Portuogral

Portuogral Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X
    Then you are asking for a different card!
    You need to understand GTX 970 was designed that way. It's final performance (showned in reviews) was previewed by the engineers with the memory segmentation already in place. Performance is what it is. Take it or leave it.

From what we are seeing from framepacing, the card design is flawless and works as intended, not causing stutter nor degrading performance over time

So, asking for 64 ROP is asking for a new card - that would not be as cheap as GTX 970, believe me.

P.S. Please, please, don't insult my inteligence responding you bought the card because of the specs and not because of the performance!

16. Pepi

Pepi Member

GPU:
    gtx 980 acx 2.0 sli ekwc
    Sure not to gtx 960, but only thing nvidia could do, is give refund to people who wants it, than buy what ever they want. Nvidia do not own gtx 970 owners anything but refund, but some people think they have right to demand a discount, games.

17. stevevnicks

stevevnicks Maha Guru

GPU:
    Don't need one
    I would only refund an unsatisfied customer if they owned the card for a max of 7 days, because why was you not unsatisfied 1-2-3-4 months ago ? they just after free stuff commonly known as greed.

wonder how many parents are having to put up with spoiled kid tantrums over this ?
    as the parent probs wont understand whats going on, apart from 4 months of very happy spoiled kid and next thing very unhappy spoiled kid.

I say that because it really seems mostly like kids throwing there toys out of the pram.

18. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    I would not want a refund on my 970 and pay another £200 just to get 10% more performance

19. Memorian

Memorian Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080 Ti
    It's really funny that many people believe that the VRAM thing was a mistake.NVIDIA did it on purpose, no mistakes.NVIDIA Engineers knew it and they didn't share it with us, at least their marketing team.

20. Portuogral

Portuogral Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X
    In a word: Perception.

Perception gives and perception takes away. Every PR working at nVIDIA know this for sure.

By nVIDIA's own fault, owners perception of the card changed. For many, is as having a broken, tainted product in their hands just because is not what marketing make them believe it was - perception. Now, they expect compensation. This issue has to be carefully handled by nVIDIA's PR. Is not easy to manage expectations.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.