970 memory allocation issue revisited

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by alanm, Jan 23, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HeavyHemi

HeavyHemi Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX1080Ti
    Man...the entire back of my TITAN has no 'radiator coverage' on the ram...
    I've got 3GB of broken slow ram!!! Holy CRAP! Man... and think of the complexity of changing the 'radiator coverage' for each GPU depending which block was disabled affecting which RAM IC....how dastardly!!!!:banana:

2. nanogenesis

nanogenesis Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI R9 390X 1178|6350
    Don't own the card anymore but genuine questions.

@MrBen,
    Is it possible to let windows use the 0.5gb partition for aero/desktop composting and have the 3.5gb partition solely for games?

Will users have an option to select what type of segmentation they prefer in the NVCP?
    (Nvidia default, Disabled)?

With GTX970 being the only GPU in the world with this type of segmentation wouldn't optimization require more resources and effort after a year when newer flagships arrive, and when the card will be needing it the most?

Is nvidia preparing something along the lines of a memory compression technology to help in the future? (Yeah I know it sounds stupid)

Last edited: Jan 28, 2015
  3. MrBenB

MrBenB New Member

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 980
    Stevevnicks - one of the reasons why the GTX 970 is so great is because of the architecture and why the perf is good.

Sergio - regarding drivers, our driver team work tirelessly to improve the drivers for all of our GPUs. This will continue as always.

Vox94 - I'll have to look into this further for you. I will get back to you.

As we've said (and Hilbert has quoted in his articles) both GTX 980 and GTX 970 exhibit similar (with 1-3% of each other) drop off's at highest memory usage. We have shown historically that we support all products with drivers updates for a long long time.

4. Pepi

Pepi Member

GPU:
    gtx 980 acx 2.0 sli ekwc
    The one thing i do not get, that some people would like a upgrade to gtx 980 with discount. Why would nvidia do that? That would piss of all gtx 980 owners who payed full price

5. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
  6. stevevnicks

stevevnicks Maha Guru

GPU:
    Don't need one

7. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 2080 Dual OC
    I would have thought aero resources are flushed out of the vram when vram capacity is exceeded if a (full screened) game uses it all up. Maybe shuffled to system ram then back into vram when exiting the game.

8. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    If that is the case I stand corrected, I didn't know the driver actually can be read out fot that info. But why then would GPU-Z continuously show alterations like this in their change list ?

"AMD Tonga: Fix ROP count, shader count, die size, transistors, product name"

Anyway, it's probably best to leave this topic in another discussion thread due to relevancy.

9. jwb1

jwb1 Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 2080 Ti
    Right, so what NVidia really wants you to believe is that not a single engineer or marketing person read the reviews and saw the error.

10. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 2080 Dual OC
    Ironic as it may sound, if the 970 from the beginning was presented as a 3.5gb card with 512mb L3 cache, and the tech logic behind it explained in reviews, it may have come off as more impressive sounding given the great benchmarks it. It may have been praised by the media as an ingenious feat.

11. jwb1

jwb1 Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 2080 Ti
    Perhaps. But now its just a PR mess.

12. morbias

morbias Don TazeMeBro Staff Member

GPU:
    -
    Can anyone prove it was intentional? No.
    Can anyone prove it was unintentional? No.

Personally I don't really see the point of going around in circles because the answer will never present itself!

13. ---TK---

---TK--- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x 980Ti Gaming 1430/7296
    Whatever the answer I expect people to complain.

14. Portuogral

Portuogral Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X
    Thank you for addressing the issue. Although nVIDIA supports drivers updates for a "long long time", the truth is that was nothing remotely similar; this segmentation requires a very specific set of tweaks, depending on each individual game and the universe of games existent and being released everyday is mind-blowing, some of which many pass under the nVIDIA's radar; several are even "AMD" tittles.
    Isn't nVIDIA asking its GTX 970 costumers to put a blind faith on the driver team to be capable of keeping up with all the (relevant) games for a "long long time"?

No more than it pissed TITAN buyers when GTX 780 came out. And no more than it pissed the GTX 780 owners when GTX 780 TI came out and their 780 was devalued by $150 overnight

Last edited: Jan 28, 2015
  15. rm082e

rm082e Master Guru

GPU:
    3080 - QHD@165hz
    Personal Opinion:

It doesn't make sense that they would knowingly lie. The number of ROPs doesn't sell cards - performance benchmarks vs. price are what sells cards. They knew what the performance was and they targeted that price point for the specific purpose of selling a **** load of cards and undercutting the market. The idea they would risk a huge PR disaster on the hottest selling card in their product stack for something that didn't help them sell any additional units just doesn't make any sense.

16. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 2080 Dual OC
    How do you think Titan buyers felt when the 970 arrived with near same performance at a 1/3 of the price. :nerd: Of course most would know thats the nature of the game.

17. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    You mean just engineers -- the marketing guys are the ones that got it wrong. And I highly doubt engineers are reading product reviews of their own cards. Also what purpose does lying about the cache and rop count serve? Did anyone actually buy the card based on those two values? Doubt it.

18. ---TK---

---TK--- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x 980Ti Gaming 1430/7296
    I know if I were a 970 owner, I would want some kind of compensation for this. Hows about a game or 2 for verified 970 owners?

19. Memorian

Memorian Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080 Ti
    I have zero issues with my card, even if the game uses all my VRAM(4GB), no performance drops or anything.It performs as it should, let's move forward please.

20. rm082e

rm082e Master Guru

GPU:
    3080 - QHD@165hz
    Aside from just being a leech, there's no justification for it. We all bought these cards based on price and performance - neither of which have changed. If someone feels cheated, return the card and buy something else.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.