970 memory allocation issue revisited

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by alanm, Jan 23, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FDisk

FDisk Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS STRIX GTX970 OC 4GB
    That's a maybe, if it's going to be just some GFE profiles optimization I'm going to be pissed.

This needs to be a real driver fix.

2. Redemption80

Redemption80 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    Surely it's more of a workaround than a fix.

Saying that I entirely expect it to make zero gameplay difference to anyone.

3. thinktwice

thinktwice Member

GPU:
    Club 3D HD 7950
    i dont care what amd does. We are not talking about amd. If so, feel free to open another thread about amds rebrands...

4. Rich_Guy

Rich_Guy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2070S X-Trio
    Im just trying to work out now, how the driver will add the extra 8x ROPS, and L2 Cache.

5. Memorian

Memorian Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Strix 2080 Ti OC
    Where did you read that ? If this was fixable with a new driver, NVIDIA would tell us to just be patient..

6. stevevnicks

stevevnicks Maha Guru

GPU:
    Don't need one
    lol

they probs just tweak the driver and make things worse as there is no stutter lol
    you cant fix something that's "working the way it was designed to work" and that's from there own mouths more or less..
    although maybe tweak how its accessed ?

7. Rich_Guy

Rich_Guy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2070S X-Trio
    Wccf, was posted about 30 minutes ago, came from some at Nvidia.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2015
  8. Loophole35

Loophole35 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    It's called "adding context". Why are you commenting on the subject you have no horse in the race?

None of the 970's ever produced suddenly got slower after the real specs were released.

I just don't understand the witch hunt that is currently happening.

Edit: I do however understand the apprehension that some 970 owners feel at being lied to, but the performance is still stellar on the 970.

9. Rich_Guy

Rich_Guy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2070S X-Trio
    Its still a cracking card, if you don't go over 3.5GB.

10. MrH

MrH Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080 Armour
    The thing is, even if I get a refund I have no viable options to replace my 970, only the 980 which I can't afford (£180 on top of what I paid for the 970).

11. Rich_Guy

Rich_Guy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2070S X-Trio
  12. stevevnicks

stevevnicks Maha Guru

GPU:
    Don't need one
    at the end of the day Nvidia do deserve the flack, I don't believe the gtx970 does though lol

13. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX980 SLI
    So what will nVIDIA have to do legally with all the 970s that are still in warehouses/stores etc that have not sold yet?

Are the specs that have been shown to be wrong actually printed on the boxes / in the documentation ?

14. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RX5700
    The right thing for NVidia to do would be to cover the cost of the shipping to/from resellers and vendors/manufacturers as well as the cost of correcting the packaging of the cards to reflect the real specs. Of course, I doubt that will ever happen.

The box states "4GB GDDR5" when it really should state "3.5GB + 0.5GB of GDDR5" or "4GB GDDR5 in segments of 3.5GB and 0.5GB"....but aside from that, not that I'm aware of.

You can't attack NVidia for doing exactly what AMD does, without accepting the fact that AMD does it as well. You shouldn't even be posting in this thread to begin with seeing as how the subject doesn't affect you.

15. morbias

morbias Don TazeMeBro Staff Member

GPU:
    -
    I don't think so, not even the official product page shows ROP count or cache, only the review sites have listed that information but of course that was down to Nvidia providing them with incorrect specs.

For people trying to get a refund - I seriously don't think you have grounds based on the memory configuration. If you are pursuing a refund then it would have to be on the basis of ROP count and L2 cache, those are the specs that were wrong, the card still has 4GB as advertised and I would think there would be no legal standing for a refund on that basis.

16. UZ7

UZ7 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS STRIX RTX2080S
    I did notice some new GFE experience from back in November like Far Cry 4.. used to be all Ultra (same as 980), then gradually pushed to Very High textures.. makes you wonder :p (yes it ran fine and still use the same settings).

17. thinktwice

thinktwice Member

GPU:
    Club 3D HD 7950
    Thats exactly what i wanted to say to sone users above you somply cant hide the fact that nvidia cheated or cheats on marketing...

18. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080Ti
    So you're saying that it's impossible that Nvidia had a miscommunication between engineering and marketing. That they intentionally deceived their customers by lying about the number of ROPs and L2 cache? What exactly do they gain by doing that? "Holy ****, the 970 has the same number of ROPs and L2 cache as the 980! Totally going to buy the card based on that!" said no one ever. People bought it based on the performance, which hasn't changed.

Yeah Nvidia should be criticized for messing up the reviewer docs. But saying you feel cheated is ridiculous.

19. ---TK---

---TK--- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x 980Ti Gaming 1430/7296
    Like Loophole said its adding context to the discussion. I don't really care what amd does tbh. Just wanted a level playing field.
    Didn't mean to quote Anarion. On my fone.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2015
  20. morbias

morbias Don TazeMeBro Staff Member

GPU:
    -
    I've just looked at a few of the board partners sites and a couple of them (namely EVGA and Gainward) currently list the stock GTX 970 as having memory bandwidth of 224 GB/s, which could be a point of contention.

Even though the bus width would allow for that with those memory chips it is technically not possible to achieve that number on a GTX 970 at stock clocks due to it only being able to access 3.5 GB at once, maximum theoretical bandwidth is 196 GB/s, is it not?

I'm surprised they haven't updated their sites yet to be honest as that could be construed as false advertising.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.