970 memory allocation issue revisited

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by alanm, Jan 23, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Loophole35

Loophole35 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    Yeah so according to him my 670's in SLI are 80% faster than a single 970.:3eyes:

2. ---TK---

---TK--- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x 980Ti Gaming 1430/7296
    I`m not surprised by anything posted anymore, going to install the gsync drivers now brb

3. thinktwice

thinktwice Member

GPU:
    Club 3D HD 7950
    nvidias acting like this is not old. some of you may allredy remember the false marketing nvidia made back then when the 9600-9800 gt was released. Everyone thought that the 9000 series were better gpus, in fact the 9800gt was nothing else then rebranded 8800.... this memory issue looks like the same story to me but way more ugglier then in the past....

4. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RX5700
    I switched from an HD7950 to a GTX970. The GTX970 flat out bitch slaps the 7950 is every conceivable way. The 2 cards don't even come close to being compared.

5. ---TK---

---TK--- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x 980Ti Gaming 1430/7296
    amd rebrands too, take off the red glasses

6. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RX5700
    Yep. HD6770 = HD5770.... There was absolutely no changes made except the name and bios. Exact same thing NVidia did with the 8800GT and 9800GT. 9600GT used a G94 GPU, so not sure what the issue was there as it was not a rebrand in any way. The G94 was a G92 derivative..... The 9600GT just suffered from random black screens that never got fixed (seems kind of like what AMD has been going through since the HD7K series launched....lol)

7. keromyaou

keromyaou Member Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX3080 XC3 Ul
    At this moment there are no gpus which can run all the games comfortably on 4K display. Those who already bought expensive 4K displays should be special people with deep pocket. Since 4K is very demanding, you should get the best gpus as far as possible such as 290X crossfire or gtx980/Titan SLI. Even then running games on 4K display is very tough. When I bought two Titan for SLI, I only had one 1440p display in my mind. The pixel amount of 4K is 2.25 times as much as that of 1440p. To me I only start considering 4K displays only after the performance of high-end gpus reaches at least twice as powerful as that of Titan/gtx980. In my opinion, for using 4K display adequately we need at least Pascal-generation high-end gpus. Under this circumstance I don't know why those who manage to get gtx970 class gpus need to jump on the 4K band wagon along with these special people. The performance of gtx970 is lower than that of unlocked overvoltaged vanilla Titan. You cannot expect even two gtx970 can run games on a 4K display comfortably as much as two unlocked Titans can't do it. At this moment 1080p or 1440p displays are mainstream and a sweet spot. Gtx 970 is doing a fine job at these resolutions and very cost-effective. I think that Nvidia did a big bargain with gtx970.
    As a side note, I understand that some special games require absurdly huge amount of VRAM even at 1080p/1440p reaching to 4GB limit without much improvement of graphical quality. Even then if you reduce AA settings, you can run games without taxing VRAM. If you want to buy relatively future-proof gpus in this sense, then you need to buy something with at least 6-8GM VRAM. To me, buying gtx980 4GB does not make much sense because of VRAM size. I would wait for gtx980 8GB at least or something newer. Buying gtx970 8GB (probably two segments of 7+1GB) does not make any sense to me either since if you want to maximize the usage of 4-8GB VRAM you had better get something as powerful as you can get.
    Those who bought gtx970 4GB version should have decided to get this gpu thinking that (1) they want to run games at 1080p or 1440p, and (2) just in case when some new games require a lot of VRAM they are willing to reduce AA settings a bit. Although the fact that Nvidia was not clear about the VRAM configuration of gtx970 is problematic, the performance of gtx970 is nonetheless very good for its intended purpose as far as I see.

8. stevevnicks

stevevnicks Maha Guru

GPU:
    Don't need one
    so why don't guru3d and other review site do some testing and post results to find how much of an impact this is or not ?

9. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RX5700
    Because they don't have access to the hardware necessary to produce definitive results. It's not as easy as comparing the GTX970 to the GTX980. You'd need GPU's without the L2 disabled to compare against what we have. Basically, you'd need what NVidia advertised to compare against what NVidia actually sold. Since no review site has access to GPU's with the advertised specifications, no accurate comparisons can actually be made and no definitive results will even be produced. There will always be a large margin of error.

10. stevevnicks

stevevnicks Maha Guru

GPU:
    Don't need one
    no I mean this stutter issue people go on about and get more tech data on ram performance in real world gaming you know something along them lines

they over 1400 people on this one lol
    https://www.change.org/p/nvidia-refund-for-gtx-970

Last edited: Jan 27, 2015

11. ENBSeries

ENBSeries New Member

GPU:
    GeForce 650 Ti 2 Gb
    First of all, such tests must be running DOS to exclude false results.

Made my own test for that issue and it was exactly what i have seen in the past for various videocards of both NVidia and AMD/ATI (in custom memory managers for game engines to be exact). So, how the test works: when filled up all available vram entirely, i clear up first blocks and test them again. And result is the same slow performance like they are in 3.5-4 gb. There are some conditions how to reset this and restore performance, but it's different story. Hardware bug? Rly? Muahahaha

12. stevevnicks

stevevnicks Maha Guru

GPU:
    Don't need one
    yea I can see your cpu pushing the 970 to the max ...

13. goranm

goranm Member

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 970 G1
  14. Gripen90

Gripen90 Master Guru

GPU:
    2x RTX 2080Ti SLi
    I run 4K with 0xAA and in some of the games I play even Doom3 with Sikkmod and latest high res texture map weird things happen as soon as my 970's hit 3.5GB usage. My FPS remain the same but I get texture popping and stuttering. It seems that the cards are trying to fetch the last 0.5GB vram but due to is nature of low bandwith the latency sky rockets causing everything to stutter in miliseconds.
    As soon as I turn a few texture settings down so I use 3.2/3.3GB everything is smooth as silk.

Just because not every one is affected by it, then saying that is doesn't matter is utter BS IMO. I bought these cards assuming they had access to the full 4GB palette and not something divided into portions. Had all this info been told at release I would have chosen 980's instead.

So those who play at 1080/1200/1440 yes stay happy with your cards, but for every one else it has become a pain... since originally I thought it was driver issues or gaming compatibility issues at 4K.

15. goranm

goranm Member

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 970 G1

16. ENBSeries

ENBSeries New Member

GPU:
    GeForce 650 Ti 2 Gb
    Not funny. I don't need Ferrari to drive it if my buddy have.

17. Cyberdyne

Cyberdyne Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra
    We all know NVidia has you in their back pocket, Boris. ;)

18. goranm

goranm Member

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 970 G1
  19. Gripen90

Gripen90 Master Guru

GPU:
    2x RTX 2080Ti SLi
  20. Rich_Guy

Rich_Guy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2070S X-Trio
    Whats the etailor thats accpeting these back now ?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.