970 memory allocation issue revisited

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by alanm, Jan 23, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Headd

Headd Active Member

GPU:
    GTX970
    Guys:
    GTX980m 4GB-4 memory chips(4x1GB)
    GTX970-8 memory chips(8x512MB)

GTX980m looks OK and GTX970 have problem.Can it be because that?

Last edited: Jan 23, 2015
  2. gmb

gmb Member

GPU:
    GTX 960

3200 Mibyte not 3200 Mbyte. Slowdown starts at 3.5GB. Last 512MB seems slower.

3. nanogenesis

nanogenesis Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI R9 390X 1178|6350
  4. Shady757

Shady757 Member Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte G1 GTX 970/GSYNC
    inb4MODS!!!

might as well say your goodbyes to this post already

5. SuperAverage

SuperAverage Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte xtreme 1080
    Because it has a 192 bit bus and 3GB of RAM?

6. gerardfraser

gerardfraser Ancient Guru

GPU:
    R9 290 Crossfire
    970 G1 Gigabyte

[​IMG]

7. umeng2002

umeng2002 Maha Guru

GPU:
    This is going to cost nVidia some real money if they can't fix it with a new BIOS or driver. Can you image them having to explain to investors that they need to give all 970 owners a 980?

A lawsuit perhaps. If it does stem from how they disable SMM units, maybe they need a special program to retest each card to enable and disable the corrects units then reflash the vBIOS

Also, my 970 does tank like all these other tests

8. SuperAverage

SuperAverage Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte xtreme 1080
    Disabling is usually done, anymore, by disconnecting the unused units physically. They cannot be re-connected.

9. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RX5700
    They'll never lose a lawsuit. People buy the cards knowing that they've had portions of the chip disabled. It's industry standard practice. The only way for NVidia to possibly lose would be for someone to prove that these cards don't actually have 4GB of VRAM, or that nobody knew that the cut-down GPU's suffered some sort of performance loss as a result. Coincidentally, losing such a suit would have repercussions well beyond just NVidia's shareholders. It would effect the entire micro-chip industry. Prices of CPU, GPUs, etc would skyrocket to cover increased R&D costs, increased production costs, etc. I don't see any court risking the side-effects of NVidia losing such a case.

10. zais

zais Member Guru

GPU:
    seems same Modus Operandi from 670 -680 gtx already, they seems drunk n greedy, repent brother, repent let all 970 owner step up to 980 with some reasonable addition fee

11. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RX5700
    A page or 2 back, a GTX780 was tested and showed the same behavior we've been looking at. If we can prove the same case with every cut-down desktop GPU, it proves that his behavior is normal for a cut-down NVidia GPU. From there people can do whatever they want with the information.

12. BUFDUP

BUFDUP Guest

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 24, 2015
  13. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX980Ti OC
    I looked through whole 6 pages before and found a 3rd version (*pic in my post above), it size was only 39kb or the same with fixed visual 110.dll error.

Btw, I can connect hdmi to igpu, its "active" for encoding and I can select display desktop2 - it will show through main gpu..
    Is it enough just to switch my LCD outputs or do I have to switch to desktop2 too?

Maybe its also CUDA gpu ID specific and program takes that into account, and those that miss match this max core count get this bug or its simply both cuda driver bug and this app bug.
    One guru3d member said older 344.xx drivers with cuda 6.5? would crash, new 347.xx is cuda7 and its fine.

Imho the only real thing that matters is do games run fine if you use more then 3.5gb? In my case this line starts @ 2.5gb, but I surpassed that a lot.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2015
  14. umeng2002

umeng2002 Maha Guru

GPU:
    Well there is slowing down because of the computational load and then from this issue.

I didn't feel like installing my old card to test it, but using Afterburner, my vram usage for windows is like 250-260 MB. This benchmark starts to tank around 3.25 GB usage, so it's the last 500 MB that start to tank, as people have been stating.

15. nanogenesis

nanogenesis Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI R9 390X 1178|6350
    Step 1 boot into OS
    Step 2 unplug display from GPU
    Step 3 plug display into iGPU
    Step 4 Run

Do you still get reduced throughput in the last two blocks?

And yes 39kb version is the latest one.

16. BUFDUP

BUFDUP Guest

i dont have the 970, i have the 980. i pretty much did what u said. since x79 does not have igpu, i used my 760 instead. seems like when windows is running on the main card, the last 2 chunks seem to tank.... when i run my 760 as the main display instead of my 980's, then all the memory would run at full bandwidth.

980 as main: memory used at desktop (gtx 980) = around 240mb
    760 as main: memory used at desktop (gtx 980) = 0mb

look at my post # 95

u think if i had a 970 and re test with that it'll be the same as the 980's?

17. SuperAverage

SuperAverage Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte xtreme 1080
    In an attempt to show differences by video of hitching, GPU usage, in reference to over and under the 3.5ish GB threshhold, I stumbled on something that may or may not be of interest.

Please see the video here:
    http://youtu.be/ZQE6p5r1tYE

In the second half, where I sorta force the GPU's to use over 3.5ish GB, the parts where in game, it just appeared as a short freeze, shadowplay recorded these glitches. Note that you can see movement in the glitching, whereas on-screen, it was just a freeze.

Also please note that the GPU's were NOT at 100% as the glitches occurred, being only 2 or 3% higher, generally, than at less-than 3.5GB.

18. Spets

Spets Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3090
    [​IMG]
    This benchmark cakes it above 2.5GB on my 780Ti. Games run perfectly fine above 2.5GB though.

19. SuperAverage

SuperAverage Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte xtreme 1080
    Did you perform the test headless? I.E. running the test on the card while it isn't the one you are using for display?

20. BUFDUP

BUFDUP Guest

i think it cakes because windows uses some vram for aero. my 980's used around 240mb. you use a 750ti as physics yea? connect ur monitor to that card and run the benchmark again. you will see that ur vram wont tank.

i have 980sli (asus rog swift conected to them)
    i also have msi gtx 760 hawk as a physx (dell u2711 connected to it)

i ran the benchmark using the swift connected to my 980s and the last 2 chunks of memory tanked.

when i switched over to my dell u2711/gtx 760, i ran the benchmark and there were no slowdowns on the vram.

i ran GPU-Z while running the gtx 760 and it showed on the 980 there was no vram used... so yeah...

have a look at post 95

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.