970 memory allocation issue revisited

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by alanm, Jan 23, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BUDA20

BUDA20 Member

GPU:
    Aorus GTX 1080 ti
    I done exactly that when the issue was first discovered and It mess up one of the games (five times in a row), the one that uses the last block, but, I think the memory also can be fragmented, witch makes things worst, as you can see in the results I got after I closed the games:

Chunk Size: 32 MiByte
    Allocated 120 Chunks
    Allocated 3840 MiByte
    Benchmarking DRAM
    DRAM-Bandwidth of Chunk no. 0 (0 MiByte to 32 MiByte):155.64 GByte/s
    [ ... ]
    DRAM-Bandwidth of Chunk no. 98 (3136 MiByte to 3168 MiByte):22.35 GByte/s
    [ ... ]
    DRAM-Bandwidth of Chunk no. 113 (3616 MiByte to 3648 MiByte):155.84 GByte/s ****
    [ ... ]
    DRAM-Bandwidth of Chunk no. 119 (3808 MiByte to 3840 MiByte):12.77 GByte/s

The segment at 3616 is giving full speed.

2. JohnLai

JohnLai Member Guru

GPU:
    ASUS GTX 970 3.5+0.5GB
    One thing I dont understand is why nvidia choose to sell it as 4GB and going through all these troubles of 3.5gb and 0.5gb segmentation.

If nvidia simply sells it as 3.5GB, wouldnt it be beneficial for their engineers/AIBs in designed the gpu circuit layout and driver developers would have easier time writing drivers? Not to mention some power saving and efficiency? And potentially lowering the production cost? It would be beneficial to consumers as well?

I can only speculate this was done for the sake of marketing.

3. Monchis

Monchis Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX 950
    You can´t guarantee that just because you don´t have the issue, I never had problems with the unorthodox vram configuration on my 660 but other people had it for sure.

4. ---TK---

---TK--- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x 980Ti Gaming 1430/7296
    I wouldn't hesitate in buying a 970 if I were in the position of buying one. I always buy a couple of the uncut variety myself. 580s 680s 780tis.

5. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RX5700
    Run BF4 using NVidia's "optimal settings" and TL2 at max settings. That will eliminate any chance of the CPU interfering since it takes almost no resources at all to run TL2. Both can be run in Windowed Mode with a simple setting change. That would provide 4GB VRAM load.

If you're running 2 resource intensive games, you're going to have issues and the test becomes invalid at that point. You don't want 2 games that use 60-90% CPU time each. You want total CPU time between the games near 90%. If both games are trying to use full CPU time, it's going to be a massive stutterfest anyway due to CPU limitation.

6. BUDA20

BUDA20 Member

GPU:
    Aorus GTX 1080 ti
    I eliminated the CPU factor, by using 3 programs, two games and one program that fill the memory, so I run the games many times getting 60 FPS each, until I got the bad memory segment (by chance) and one of the games went to 50 FPS, I keep closing and loading the games 5 times getting the same results, until I change the order and the issue was gone.

7. Fox2232

Fox2232 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    There are games which drops CPU utilization to 0, but keep vram resources allocated. And some other have fps limit for unfocussed situations. Therefore there is way to remove CPU utilization from equation.

8. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    There is no way to remove factor called "running 2 games at the same time" from equation.
    How is this tricking the driver and running out of specs relevant to normal GPU operation?

9. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RX5700
    According to the people pushing this as a world-ending flaw.....every GTX970 has this "issue" that prevents games from being playable at over 3.5GB of VRAM usage (even though most of us can't seem to validate the claim).

Fact is, if you're running at the settings the card was intended to use, the card will in fact not have any issue at all unless it's faulty. These cards were NOT intended for 4K, Ultra textures with 8xAA...and those are the settings being used by everyone that's posted a video showing this "issue" that I've seen thus far (even the ones claiming they're running at 1080). If you're not running Multi-GPU, 4K is already a struggle for these cards as the GPUs were not designed for such a high resolution.

I ran BF4 at settings high enough to exceed the magical 3.5GB of VRAM usage without the GPU itself becoming the limiting factor, and my gameplay was perfectly smooth. As for what the framerates were, I don't really care. The game was "smooth". There was no hitching or stuttering at any point. The VRAM usage maxed out at 3.8GB with no noticeable issues at all. The reason I didn't pay attention to framerates? According to those propagating this, there is guaranteed to be stuttering/hitching the instant memory usage goes over 3.5GB.

10. Fox2232

Fox2232 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    It is not!

It is not, I just want to know results of worst case scenario. But if you insist, I know few people who quite often forget to end one game before starting others.
    They are lucky most of them are FS and unload resources.

11. rm082e

rm082e Master Guru

GPU:
    3080 - QHD@165hz
    [​IMG]

12. Anarion

Anarion Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3060 Ti
    I'm going to do a test soon to see what happens. I'm going to fire up SWTOR and then limit framerate to 5 and then run Shadow of Mordor and see what happens.

13. JohnLai

JohnLai Member Guru

GPU:
    ASUS GTX 970 3.5+0.5GB
    How about gpu driver optimization itself?
    It is possible the driver will prevent the two games/programs from accessing 0.5gb segment unless certain switch or configuration is detected which resulting in both games/programs being limited to total 3.5gb segment.

14. Fox2232

Fox2232 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    SoM is quite heavy game already. Can you try to get some game which uses like 400~600MB of vram only? And runs perfectly well with over 60fps at all times.
    And make sure that both games together will not require more than 4GB.

That remains to be seen. but since 1st (big) game is supposed to fille around 3.5GB, there should not be any other possibility for other game than to fill rest.

15. xaudiox

xaudiox Member Guru

GPU:
    Gainward GTX1080 GS
    Just stumbled upon this thread and imediatly ran MSI Kombustor memory burner (3072mb)

Total Mem 4096 MB
    Load 3980 MB (and slowly rising)

The test is OpenGL so is the issue DX related ?
    Other than that theres not much wrong here.

16. Rich_Guy

Rich_Guy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2070S X-Trio
    According to Nvidia, its correct, if your card has to access the other 0.5GB, then your performance will cripple.

17. ---TK---

---TK--- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x 980Ti Gaming 1430/7296
    I for one would love to see some ancient guru's testing this "problem".

18. Memorian

Memorian Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080 Ti
    By 3% only compared to the GTX980..Big deal..

19. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 2080 Dual OC
    No that is not what they said. Dig up their response and look again.

20. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 2080 Dual OC
    I dont think any current game can utilize 'in an absolute' sense more than 3gb of vram atm (not the same as filling up 4gb or 6gb cards in vram usage). Otherwise we would see the 3gb 780ti hobbled just the same as the 970. Yet pretty sure the 780ti can run the same game conditions that supposedly cripple the 970 at 3.5gb much better.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.