970 memory allocation issue revisited

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by alanm, Jan 23, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RX5700
    Aside from a questionable "benchmark" that may not even produce valid results, you have nothing showing any sort of issue exists. As you can see in this thread http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=396064 the only "evidence" posted at any point, is YouTube videos claiming to be running GTX970 and experiencing stuttering and hitching every time VRAM usage exceeds 3.5GB. So, if you say the video posted by Spets is unacceptable, every shred of "evidence" posted on this supposed "issue" is also unacceptable for the aforementioned reasons. They're YouTube videos that could easily be faked.

So, now it's down just to our experiences and a statement from NVidia. In your case it could have simply been a faulty card from the start.

2. keasy

keasy Banned

GPU:
    d1cK
    Democracy ?

When did you last cast a vote for a candidate running for moderator ?

Freedom of speech ?

When did you last pretend to yourself that message boards are not subject to liable law and defamation ?

What is this freedom you speak of ? :nerd:

3. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RX5700
    Nice point.

Knowingly and willingly making false statements with the intend to cause undo harm, is still illegal in most countries. Doesn't matter that it's posted on a forum.

Personally, I'd never want to vote for moderators.....mostly cuz I'd vote for myself and users I know would be more strict.

4. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    I haven't ran any of the "tests" provided here. All I can tell you is that I got my 970 on launch day and it's been flawless in every game I tried. I'll keep it until the next generation comes out. Even if this speculation we're discussing here was true, does one really need more than 3gb vram, even at 1440p for playable framerates on a single gpu? The answer is no.

Still, if this ever comes to be true, and nvidia gimped, I'll be the first one to go to their HQ and shart all over their supercars in the car park.

Until then, I'll just wait for proof. Because I haven't really seen any.

5. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RX5700
    That's a lot of effort just to shart all over people's cars....lol I'd hope you'd at least shart all over the lobby as well =X Or maybe just plug up a few toilets in the restrooms. That might even be worse....

6. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    I was going to say I'd shart all over their office carpets but meh, supercars are more expensive so I'd do that first. Talking about sharting, have you ever sharted?

7. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RX5700
    Pull the breaker for the A/C and Furnace...... Plug the toilets and place space heaters next to them. Nice, hot smell.....

8. keasy

keasy Banned

GPU:
    d1cK
    Can I be the first to buy shares in that shat ?

Gotta be worth something if it's in their car park !

9. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RX5700
    NVidia is already selling it. It's called the GTX960....

10. keasy

keasy Banned

GPU:
    d1cK
    Boom Tish !!!!!

Are you here all week ?

11. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RX5700
    Yes Sir!!

12. keasy

keasy Banned

GPU:
    d1cK
    Hooray !!!

13. IcE

IcE Don Snow Staff Member

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 1070 Mini
    Yes, because "democracy and free speech" applies on a privately owned forum space. Smart thinking.

Closed for two reasons. One, Nvidia has already explained this is a non issue.

And two, people can't get along as usual. By all means, tell yourself how Nvidia is paying everyone to keep this quiet, and that this is a huge conspiracy to cheat everyone out of 500MB of RAM.

14. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    I've reopened this thread since most of you are calmed down by now I hope.

Fights and arguments will result in instant bans, no warning, no infractions. Just so that I am clear, I'm not joking here.

15. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 2080 Dual OC
    Thanks H. Posted this in another 970 thread which I believe has relevance:

An interesting thought.. the 3gb 780ti is an incredible performer and it basically destroys all the 4gb cards in the most demanding benchmarks/scenarios. I almost bought one when the 970s were short in stock and the ti's prices were not too far off. Where are all the complaints it ran of steam and became a stutter fest when it went over the 3gb usage mark?

16. rm082e

rm082e Master Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    He's my post from the Satisfaction Poll thread:

17. Twiddles

Twiddles Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2080 2190-7550
    Proud owner of a 970 here, and no issues. If there's anything I can do to help you guys, name it :D

PS. Don't expect unicorns, I'm hungover as fudge :D

18. star

star New Member

GPU:
    2x Asus STRIX GTX 970
    been lurking here awhile, so, chiming in with my $0.02...

My own results showed a 83% drop in performance starting after the ~3.2GB mark (on OC'd 970) with CUDA card running headless mode and aero disabled.

Honestly I feel cheated because I, like many others, bought a 4GB card. Not a 3.5GB with 500MB of DDR2 duct taped onto it. This kind of thing should have been disclosed or had the extra memory missing. This would have greatly impacted my purchase decision.

I don't buy NVIDIA's PR benchmarks, those are terrible games to bench which they obviously hand picked with settings that would show it in it's best light. There's numerous reports of stuttering past the 3.5GB mark, it depends on how VRAM intensive a game is. We also don't know how it prioritizes the usage of that extra slow memory partition, perhaps some few AAA flagship games have profiles to instruct it how to behave.

People can argue all they want whether anyone actually needs more than 3GB or not, fact is we bought 4GB cards. And yes, personally I DO need more than that because I run SLi and MSAA+SGSSAA and sometimes even supersampling/downsampling which uses up a lot of VRAM. I'd been troubleshooting stuttering issues for weeks before I discovered this "bug".

The way the cards seem to behave is they prefer to use less than 3.5GB unless absolutely necessary which is how all those threads cropped up about 970's being completely unable to use more than 3.5GB, which is clearly untrue. They can, but they prefer not to because they know the extra 500 (or more) is slow as molasses.

I'm now pursuing a refund or step-up of some sort, no-matter how long I need to be put on hold because of this BS. I'd have stuck with my GTX 770 4GB cards until big maxwell, or bought GTX 980's instead. 4GB is already cutting it close for my usages.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2015
  19. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 2080 Dual OC
    I think this cuda benchmark has become almost pointless. It gives out the results in its own environment which may not be entirely in line with actual gaming. People have complained about certain games where their performance was severely hit at around the 3.5gb mark, THIS is what I believe we should be seeing examples of, actual games that others can try to reproduce the same results.

20. Spets

Spets Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080Ti XC Ultra
    Couple of users from GF forum posted their vids:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.