970 memory allocation issue revisited

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by alanm, Jan 23, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
  2. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    Even though it's been copypasted into frontpage news I think I'll wait till Hilbert or Manuel verify it as legit. I'd rather trust them than unsourced material from another site.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2015
  3. tarasis

tarasis New Member

GPU:
    Gigabyte Gaming GTX 970
    There is a new one dated the last couple of days. I just installed it yesterday.

4. stevevnicks

stevevnicks Maha Guru

GPU:
    Don't need one
    Nvidia has been looking into the issue and has now issued the following statement:

The GeForce GTX 970 is equipped with 4GB of dedicated graphics memory. However the 970 has a different configuration of SMs than the 980, and fewer crossbar resources to the memory system. To optimally manage memory traffic in this configuration, we segment graphics memory into a 3.5GB section and a 0.5GB section. The GPU has higher priority access to the 3.5GB section. When a game needs less than 3.5GB of video memory per draw command then it will only access the first partition, and 3rd party applications that measure memory usage will report 3.5GB of memory in use on GTX 970, but may report more for GTX 980 if there is more memory used by other commands. When a game requires more than 3.5GB of memory then we use both segments.

We understand there have been some questions about how the GTX 970 will perform when it accesses the 0.5GB memory segment. The best way to test that is to look at game performance. Compare a GTX 980 to a 970 on a game that uses less than 3.5GB. Then turn up the settings so the game needs more than 3.5GB and compare 980 and 970 performance again

http://techreport.com/news/27721/nvidia-admits-explains-geforce-gtx-970-memory-allocation-issue

so no bugs here nothing to see pls move on ...

5. Garra

Garra Member

GPU:
    GTX 980 Gigabyte G1
    So, I did the test...

My VGA has the same problem?

[​IMG]

6. Pandelas

Pandelas Member

GPU:
    Sapphire 7970 dual x
    I think this is a great example for the buyers to reconsider where their money goes, about Intel's and Nvidia's tactics. What a shame

7. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    DWM can't be disabled in W8.1, hence the reason why your bandwidth drops off at the end.
    The only way of testing without the results being skewed is with DWM turned off, and that can only be done in W7.

If your bandwidth dropped to 12mb/s in game your fps would come to a standstill no doubt.....as long as your gameplay is fine I wouldn't worry about it, but that's just me....

According to these benchmark scores at TechReport, there isn't really a problem.....
    http://techreport.com/news/27721/nvidia-admits-explains-geforce-gtx-970-memory-allocation-issue

8. stevevnicks

stevevnicks Maha Guru

GPU:
    Don't need one
    not at all the GTX 970 is working exactly as it was designed to work, I have sli setup with 3 x 1080p monitors and works grate cant see why people are moaning I only picked up on this so called issue today and Nvidia have already said its not a bug, its just probs the reason why this so called Vram issue has been elevated is probs only due to this unknown bit of software that people have been using its not an official peace of NVidia hardware testing program I know that much and has started these new fear threads .. I wondered what the fuss was about as my cards seem to play games just fine.

9. neo5555

neo5555 Active Member

GPU:
    2 x 6950's in CF
  10. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    You got DWM enabled and some VRAM is being reserved by Windows..

That's why the results from this app are mostly inconclusive.

11. ---TK---

---TK--- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x 980Ti Gaming 1430/7296
    I'm not going to buy an amd cpu out of spite. Only way is if they are faster than intel. Gpu wise I like the way nvidia is going with oc, temperature, tdp, physx and cuda based h264 video encoding. I always buy the full gpus anyways.

12. neo5555

neo5555 Active Member

GPU:
    2 x 6950's in CF
    Whats DWN ?

13. rm082e

rm082e Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 970 SLI
    Asked that earlier before I googled: see here.

14. neo5555

neo5555 Active Member

GPU:
    2 x 6950's in CF
    Cool.. Thx.

Disabled the service and ran the test again..

No difference at all...

***EDIT*** All good.. Tried again after reboot. Getting correct result now. :)

15. FrAnTiC

FrAnTiC Member

GPU:
    Asus STRIX GTX1070 OC
    Just had a chat to live support
    Nvidia support: "This is a known issue and we are investigating into it"
    Me: "I saw on a website that this was done intentionally, how valid was this quote"
    Support: "I am sorry, but we can't discuss this as it is being investigated. Once our engineers have found a fix we will post it in our forums and everywhere"

This is from NVIDIA forum .Looks like they don't know whats going on.
    And the other thing that bothers me is that if it was intentional why are they investigating the issue when there should be none.

16. goranm

goranm Member

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 970 G1
    Because they are thinking of the least painful (cheapest) way to fix this. ;)

17. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 2080 Dual OC
    Because it was mentioned by different people with different levels of info?

18. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    Well what choice do they have when this "issue" is being spammed across every major hardware site on the net by (the same) people?
    The last thread on this forum which is now closed, has had over 42,000 views. This is only one forum.

My guess is they can't find the issue because there really isn't one to begin with... None of the claims related to this have been verifiable or conclusive.

What is the point of contention here anyway? Seems the goalpost has moved a few times over that one......

Hopefully we will all get some closure one way or the other.....

19. VultureX

VultureX Banned

GPU:
    MSI GTX970 SLI
  20. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 2080 Dual OC
    I dont think theres any point in doing Nais (or vulturex) tests anymore. They all pretty much show the same thing on the 970. Only variation is whether DWM or headless mode has been used.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.