970 memory allocation issue revisited

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by alanm, Jan 23, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pbvider

pbvider Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX
    ^ Yeah,don`t worry ,you will not see any money back from nVIDIA.I wonder if the older gen. cardz,Kepler, have the same problem...

2. VultureX

VultureX Banned

GPU:
    MSI GTX970 SLI
  3. UZ7

UZ7 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB Vision 3080 10GB
    lol something like this?
    [​IMG]

taken from: http://www.overclock.net/t/1537725/...o-gtx-970-3-5gb-memory-issue/50#post_23452598

If they had a 3.5 and a 4GB version of the same card I would still pony up for the 4GB... but when they have "4GB" w/ 3.5GB fast/.5GB slow then I dunno, but in the back of my head when I'm playing games and I see slow down on a game that uses more than 3.5GB.. it'll be like ohhh its slow because the ram is slow :/

4. cpy2

cpy2 Active Member

GPU:
    So far 670GTX have this problem and some 5xx ti card reports 4000TB/s or 4 000 000GB/s in this benchmark. Someone fked up here!
    Looks like x70 and lower got ripped off!

5. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    Welcome to the forum, your comments haven't gone unnoticed .:)

What did u want to test exactly?

6. FrAnTiC

FrAnTiC Member

GPU:
    Asus STRIX GTX1070 OC
    Well I am a little bit dissapointed from the outcome of this situation especially from NVIDIA's attitude but it is still a great card with great performance and I'm very happy with it.And yes I'd buy it anyway.

7. Cakefish

Cakefish New Member

GPU:
    NVIDIA GTX 980M 4GB
    Does this mean that all cut down GM204s are affected by this design decision to segment the VRAM allocation? Or is it because desktop 970 has odd number of SMMs (13) while all mobile GM204s have an even number of SMMs (12, 10, 8)?

8. FrAnTiC

FrAnTiC Member

GPU:
    Asus STRIX GTX1070 OC

Nice one

Last edited: Jan 24, 2015
  9. Garra

Garra Member

GPU:
    GTX 980 Gigabyte G1
    The VGA VRAM.

thanks.

10. Redemption80

Redemption80 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    If this is officially confirmed by Nvidia then it is quite crap and they have been dodgy about it.

Would it have affected the purchase though?
    Definetly not as there was no other card I wanted, a 980 didn't look like good value and a 780 has even less vram.

11. Öhr

Öhr Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD RX 5700XT @ H₂O
  12. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 2080 Dual OC
  13. Headd

Headd Active Member

GPU:
    GTX970
    no its old bios from 21.1 i think
    I dont think this can be fixed Its hardware problem.

14. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
  15. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    Even though it's been copypasted into frontpage news I think I'll wait till Hilbert or Manuel verify it as legit. I'd rather trust them than unsourced material from another site.

16. tarasis

tarasis New Member

GPU:
    Gigabyte Gaming GTX 970
    There is a new one dated the last couple of days. I just installed it yesterday.

17. stevevnicks

stevevnicks Maha Guru

GPU:
    Don't need one
    Nvidia has been looking into the issue and has now issued the following statement:

The GeForce GTX 970 is equipped with 4GB of dedicated graphics memory. However the 970 has a different configuration of SMs than the 980, and fewer crossbar resources to the memory system. To optimally manage memory traffic in this configuration, we segment graphics memory into a 3.5GB section and a 0.5GB section. The GPU has higher priority access to the 3.5GB section. When a game needs less than 3.5GB of video memory per draw command then it will only access the first partition, and 3rd party applications that measure memory usage will report 3.5GB of memory in use on GTX 970, but may report more for GTX 980 if there is more memory used by other commands. When a game requires more than 3.5GB of memory then we use both segments.

We understand there have been some questions about how the GTX 970 will perform when it accesses the 0.5GB memory segment. The best way to test that is to look at game performance. Compare a GTX 980 to a 970 on a game that uses less than 3.5GB. Then turn up the settings so the game needs more than 3.5GB and compare 980 and 970 performance again

http://techreport.com/news/27721/nvidia-admits-explains-geforce-gtx-970-memory-allocation-issue

so no bugs here nothing to see pls move on ...

18. Garra

Garra Member

GPU:
    GTX 980 Gigabyte G1
    So, I did the test...

My VGA has the same problem?

[​IMG]

19. Pandelas

Pandelas Member

GPU:
    Sapphire 7970 dual x
    I think this is a great example for the buyers to reconsider where their money goes, about Intel's and Nvidia's tactics. What a shame

20. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    DWM can't be disabled in W8.1, hence the reason why your bandwidth drops off at the end.
    The only way of testing without the results being skewed is with DWM turned off, and that can only be done in W7.

If your bandwidth dropped to 12mb/s in game your fps would come to a standstill no doubt.....as long as your gameplay is fine I wouldn't worry about it, but that's just me....

According to these benchmark scores at TechReport, there isn't really a problem.....
    http://techreport.com/news/27721/nvidia-admits-explains-geforce-gtx-970-memory-allocation-issue

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.