970 memory allocation issue revisited

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by alanm, Jan 23, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Khronikos

Khronikos Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA SC2 1080ti
    Literally the ONLY games that are affected are games that are using 3.5 plus to 3.9. You cannot use all 4GB of your RAM anyway without problems. Games on the PC end will be using 8GB or around there in 2-3 years. This is no big deal for me at all.

I spent 450 on a 770 I used for 1.5 years lol. A 970 that beasts that card for 360 while I sell my other one for 270 near? I'll take it. This is what you do when graphics matter. I'm very used to this.

Most people besides these entitled noobies who thought their first mommy card was gonna last them a decade are happy.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2015
  2. H83

H83 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Duke GTX1080Ti
    I agree with you and i don´t regret buying my 970 but i just can´t stand all the bull**** Nvidia is trowing at us to hide the fact the card isn´t exactly the way they sait it was, it´s so stupid and unnecessary, most people would have bought the card anyway.

I just hope the card doesn´t have any other problems Nvidia is "forgetting" telling us...

3. Garra

Garra Member

GPU:
    GTX 980 Gigabyte G1
    With what program I can be testing the VGA?

4. Battlefieldprin

Battlefieldprin Member Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 780TI DC 2 OC 3GB
    so it turns out to be 3.5 GB . One of my clinet now has just canceled his purchase of 970 because of this article ( bad for business )

5. Dazz

Dazz Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS STRIX RTX 2080
    So in essence it is a 208bit bus and 3.5GB ram with a reserve of 0.5GB and 48bit.

Sounds a bit like turbo doesn't it? except it hasn't been marketed that way they are advertising the max theoretical, fact that games are crashing when using the other allocated space indicates that.

Except both AMD and Intel market the typical speed with the max so really nVidia has miss sold their products.

6. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 2080 Dual OC
    Maybe the only games that are affected are those one can push into using over 3.5gb, and sometimes in an unrealistic manner. FC4 was running quite smooth for me maxed @1440p, modest AA. Had to apply MSAAx8 to get it to 3.79gb. And OMG, can you believe it slowed to a crawl!! :D Would like to see how other non-970 single card owners fare at that.

Same. Paid more for my 770 than this. I upgrade almost every 12-18 months.

7. Öhr

Öhr Master Guru

GPU:
    5700XT + Morpheus 2
    I paid 340.21€ for a card that can access 4GB with a bus width of 256bit throughout.
    Instead, you threw 3.5GB of fast access, with a slow crippled 500MB trailing in from behind.
    It's like you sold us a 4GB SSD, that was actually a combination 3.5GB SSD and 0.5GB HDD.

You lied to us. It took you weeks to think of a ****ty press statement that essentially states: We know about the issue, we decided to ship a broken product anyway and we don't give a **** about you.

The performance tanks in most games once we go over your implemented 3.5GB limit, thus making it only playable at 3.5GB and effectively a 3.5GB card. That's already only 7/8 of the advertised value of the card.
    Additionally, we expect identical bandwidth performance when comparing the 970 and 980, thanks to its identically advertised bus width of 256bit and memory frequency of 7000MHz total. Well, we didn't get that and received another drop in performance of roughly 18.75%.

So in conclusion, the card the card's worth is 1/8 less of what you advertised, thanks to its 3.5GB limit and another 13/16th of that because of the reduced memory bus bandwidth, making it only worth 91/128 or 71% of your advertised product.

If we put a pricetag on it, its only 241.87€, thus overpriced by nearly 100€.

And that is the money I expect you [NVIDIA] to give back to us customers, in my case 98€.

8. pbvider

pbvider Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX
    ^ Yeah,don`t worry ,you will not see any money back from nVIDIA.I wonder if the older gen. cardz,Kepler, have the same problem...

9. VultureX

VultureX Banned

GPU:
    MSI GTX970 SLI
  10. UZ7

UZ7 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS STRIX RTX2080S
    lol something like this?
    [​IMG]

taken from: http://www.overclock.net/t/1537725/...o-gtx-970-3-5gb-memory-issue/50#post_23452598

If they had a 3.5 and a 4GB version of the same card I would still pony up for the 4GB... but when they have "4GB" w/ 3.5GB fast/.5GB slow then I dunno, but in the back of my head when I'm playing games and I see slow down on a game that uses more than 3.5GB.. it'll be like ohhh its slow because the ram is slow :/

11. cpy2

cpy2 Member

GPU:
    So far 670GTX have this problem and some 5xx ti card reports 4000TB/s or 4 000 000GB/s in this benchmark. Someone fked up here!
    Looks like x70 and lower got ripped off!

12. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    Welcome to the forum, your comments haven't gone unnoticed .:)

What did u want to test exactly?

13. FrAnTiC

FrAnTiC Member

GPU:
    Asus STRIX GTX1070 OC
    Well I am a little bit dissapointed from the outcome of this situation especially from NVIDIA's attitude but it is still a great card with great performance and I'm very happy with it.And yes I'd buy it anyway.

14. Cakefish

Cakefish New Member

GPU:
    NVIDIA GTX 980M 4GB
    Does this mean that all cut down GM204s are affected by this design decision to segment the VRAM allocation? Or is it because desktop 970 has odd number of SMMs (13) while all mobile GM204s have an even number of SMMs (12, 10, 8)?

15. FrAnTiC

FrAnTiC Member

GPU:
    Asus STRIX GTX1070 OC

Nice one

16. Garra

Garra Member

GPU:
    GTX 980 Gigabyte G1
    The VGA VRAM.

thanks.

17. Redemption80

Redemption80 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    If this is officially confirmed by Nvidia then it is quite crap and they have been dodgy about it.

Would it have affected the purchase though?
    Definetly not as there was no other card I wanted, a 980 didn't look like good value and a 780 has even less vram.

18. Öhr

Öhr Master Guru

GPU:
    5700XT + Morpheus 2
  19. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 2080 Dual OC
  20. Headd

Headd Active Member

GPU:
    GTX970
    no its old bios from 21.1 i think
    I dont think this can be fixed Its hardware problem.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.