970 memory allocation issue revisited

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by alanm, Jan 23, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    That's not uncommon. On occasion, statements are simply e-mailed to hardware review sites. You can either accept the statement, as posted, or disregard it. It's all your choice.

2. Horus-Anhur

Horus-Anhur Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2070 Super
    If the diference is just 1-3 % in performance, then nVidia should allow the 970 to use the full 4BG, without requiring some special requirements.

3. rm082e

rm082e Master Guru

GPU:
    3080 - QHD@165hz
    Okay, that makes sense then.

For me, I bought my cards to keep the frame rate pinned at 60 as much as possible, not to max out the memory with 8XAA. I've been turning down settings with my previous card (770 2GB) for the last year and never cared. 1080 @ 60fps under "normal circumstances" is what I personally am looking for. If the 970s will accomplish that, I don't care about the details under the hood, though I understand why others would.

So really, this looks like a "doesn't affect me" sort of thing.

4. shadow_craft

shadow_craft Member Guru

GPU:
    ASUS StiX OC 1070
    Nvidia RESPONDS!

http://www.pcper.com/news/Graphics-Cards/NVIDIA-Responds-GTX-970-35GB-Memory-Issue

So in other words, without the PR speak
    The 970 has 3.5 gigs of "Fast" VRam (208-bit bus), and 500 megs of "Slow" VRam (48-bit)
    due to the limitations of the cut cores from the 980
    This is working as intended
    LOL
    Nice spin Nvidia with the benchmarks,
    I wonder how future games will fair?
    No mention of micro-stuttering or how this can affect frametimes

[​IMG]

5. Raider0001

Raider0001 Master Guru

GPU:
    PowerColor RX 6800
    If u still believe the rest of the memory actually exists for applications just check out if your system memory (not vram) can affect the speed after 3500MB mark, simple test of taking out system memory to make it single channel and down-clocking.

6. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 2080 Dual OC
    You're just trolling.:wanker:

7. AMN3S1AC

AMN3S1AC Guest

Its just that Nvidia tech support deny this statement. They say that their team is still investigating the matter and that no official stements have been made.

8. omnimodis78

omnimodis78 Active Member

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080FTW
    We both know that they're not looking into the technical aspect of this, but rather the next step in PR and legal. If this ends up being a straight up false claim in terms of advertisement, and if this is somehow not something that can be rectified with, say, a BIOS update, then a class action lawsuit will follow; to say nothing of the brand-damage which will ensue. Believe it, the PR and legal teams are in overdrive at NVIDIA as we speak.

9. Garra

Garra Member

GPU:
    GTX 980 Gigabyte G1
  10. FDisk

FDisk Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS STRIX GTX970 OC 4GB
    I was thinking the same thing. OK so you split it in 2 segments 3.5gb + 0.5GB, so why not allocate all the segments in the first place? But then I was like...Ohhh the 0.5GB segment is slow as ****. :3eyes:

11. FDisk

FDisk Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS STRIX GTX970 OC 4GB
    Who said they deny?

12. VultureX

VultureX Banned

GPU:
    MSI GTX970 SLI
    If this is in fact true than this is a hardware issue and it will not be fixed.
    The 1-3% performance diffence is very misleading and probably referring to average framerate. What they don't mention is that this performance difference is caused by huge frametime spikes accessing the slower memory.

A game that in fact desperately tries to keep all memory in the 3.5GB partition is Far Cry 4. Just try to run it at 1440p with SMAA and 4xMSAA. Both use about 3500MB of vRAM, yet in the second there is significantly more and higher frametime spikes than in the first scenario, due to the vRAM limatation.

That results in an extremely annoying stutterfest in the second case. In this case the 980GTX should perform well. So this means that basically the 970GTX can only use 3.5GB effectively. The last 512MB is just a gimmick. It can't be properly used.

13. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    The difference is 1-3% BECAUSE of the the design used.

If you got your wish, the result would be far worse in 95% of cases,
    ie. 0-3500MB usage

Hmm... yes, I wouldn't be surprised with much worse frametimes distribution in 3.5+GB case-scenario, even if FPS is OK-ish.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2015
  14. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    Tech Support and Marketing are 2 completely different departments. They rarely have any idea what the other is doing. Tech Support can only speak for what is going on within their own department. Marketing/Public Relations would have been the first to response to the claims. Tech Support would be next, followed later by Engineering. Not saying we'll see 2 or 3 different statements, just the order in which they would be responding....if all 3 were to respond.

Good luck with a class-action suit. You'd have to prove that the cards don't function as designed or lack advertised features. Neither is proven to be the case here.

15. shadow_craft

shadow_craft Member Guru

GPU:
    ASUS StiX OC 1070
    Try reading the link,

Nvidia responded:

"The GeForce GTX 970 is equipped with 4GB of dedicated graphics memory. However the 970 has a different configuration of SMs than the 980, and fewer crossbar resources to the memory system. To optimally manage memory traffic in this configuration, we segment graphics memory into a 3.5GB section and a 0.5GB section. The GPU has higher priority access to the 3.5GB section. When a game needs less than 3.5GB of video memory per draw command then it will only access the first partition, and 3rd party applications that measure memory usage will report 3.5GB of memory in use on GTX 970, but may report more for GTX 980 if there is more memory used by other commands. When a game requires more than 3.5GB of memory then we use both segments.

We understand there have been some questions about how the GTX 970 will perform when it accesses the 0.5GB memory segment. The best way to test that is to look at game performance. Compare a GTX 980 to a 970 on a game that uses less than 3.5GB. Then turn up the settings so the game needs more than 3.5GB and compare 980 and 970 performance again."

So in other words, without the PR speak
    The 970 has 3.5 gigs of "Fast" VRam (208-bit bus), and 500 megs of "Slow" VRam (48-bit)
    due to the limitations of the cut cores from the 980
    This is working as intended
    LOL[1]
    Nice spin Nvidia with the benchmarks,
    I wonder how future games will fair?
    No mention of micro-stuttering or how this can affect frametimes

16. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    As an AMD user, you really have no place in this thread unless you were intending to buy a GTX970.

You're attacking NVidia and NVidia users simply for the sake of attacking..... You're adding nothing of value to this thread at all.

17. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    Someone ban this kook...

18. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    My card is exactly what I was intending to buy. A GTX970 that can fold it's ass off.

19. shadow_craft

shadow_craft Member Guru

GPU:
    ASUS StiX OC 1070
    I was actually intending to buy a 970, seemed like a good deal...

20. Headd

Headd Active Member

GPU:
    GTX970
    he have every right as that PILL guy who spam this thread already.PILL have gtx970?i see some 7950 CFX.
    OMG this forum is so BIASED.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.