970 memory allocation issue revisited

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by alanm, Jan 23, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
  2. Headd

Headd Active Member

GPU:
    GTX970
    This already been discused here i dont know what are you trying proof.
    And why are you posting here some anandtech screenshots?

3. maur0

maur0 Master Guru

GPU:
    point of view gtx 570 1gb
  4. SuperAverage

SuperAverage Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte xtreme 1080

5. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    Those images prove nothing other than the scene changed.

I'm actually not trying to prove anything. I have nothing to prove. My card does exactly what it was meant to, and does it very well. My only interest in this thread, is trying to make sure it eventually comes to an answer as to whether or not a problem actually exists, if we can even manage to do that. What exactly that answer is, has no bearing on my usage in any way. Folding@Home simulations don't push VRAM usage beyond 1GB at any time. Whether or not we can actually prove anything, depends on people approaching the "issue" with no preconceptions. If you've already decided that an issue exists and are determined to prove such, you're pretty well useless to this thread.

Running a questionable "benchmark" on 2 cards and seeing different results doesn't prove the existence of a problem. It only proves that an issue may exist within the CUDA API that only affects the GTX970 for some unknown reason.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2015
  6. SuperAverage

SuperAverage Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte xtreme 1080
    I'm actually in complete agreement, at least concerning the validity of this benchmarks output.

7. Headd

Headd Active Member

GPU:
    GTX970
    Even Reddit screens are not from same scene.Mine screenshot looks pretty much same.Only slighly differences
    Reddit:
    http://i.imgur.com/Vnu7MHz.jpg
    http://i.imgur.com/K4H82Xp.jpg
    Thats just complete different scene.Why you dont criticize reddit then?

8. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    Screenshots prove nothing at all. The source makes no difference.

Stuttering can be caused by too many different variables for videos to mean anything.

This is where we had an issue in the previous thread.

There were reports of this "issue" presenting itself in multiple games. I tested BF4 with more than 3.5GB of VRAM used and experienced no issues at all. Unfortunately, it's the only game I own that's capable of using more than 3GB of VRAM at any settings. The only way I get stuttering in BF4 is running the 64bit executable with Afterburner's OSD enabled and that happens regardless of memory load, but is easily fixed by disabling OSD.

9. Vidik

Vidik Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 1070 Gaming Z
    nvidia already acknowledged the problem in numerous support chats, mails and forum posts. if you're fine with your faulty hardware you can stop posting and be happy. hopefully, we will force nvidia fix it for you. you're welcome btw

10. Headd

Headd Active Member

GPU:
    GTX970
    i do not agree.If is benchmark tested as it should there are pretty much accurate results.
    EDIT:if we compare GTX970/980

11. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    Proof of such acknowledgement?

12. nanogenesis

nanogenesis Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI R9 390X 1178|6350
    Thread derailed. Good job.

13. Vidik

Vidik Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 1070 Gaming Z
    not your personal google

I hope they are getting paid by nvidia for this or something. stockholm syndrome is strong in this thread

14. Headd

Headd Active Member

GPU:
    GTX970
    Stop pls
    PILL MONSTER already ruined last thread.STOP OT.I dont know why is he in full denial mode if he dont have GTX970.
    Some moderator should delete OT and we can continue.

15. VultureX

VultureX Banned

GPU:
    MSI GTX970 SLI
    Here is a preliminary result of kernel analysis of the last DRAM benchmark kernels that show bad performance.

The Visual Profiler tool crashes a lot or makes the benchmark test crash a lot so I'm having a hard time gathering/saving results right now.

[​IMG]

16. skacikpl

skacikpl Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2070 8G
    Apparently, here's the NVIDIA response:
    http://www.pcper.com/news/Graphics-Cards/NVIDIA-Responds-GTX-970-35GB-Memory-Issue
    TL;DR
    Design choice - all is good.
    Going above 3.5GB will cost you 1 to 3% of performace and that's that.

17. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    The thread started to become derailed when others started heading down the same path as the previous thread. Some of us were trying to keep things unbiased, as they should be, and look for answers to the question of whether or not a problem actually exists with these cards. So far, that hasn't actually been proven. It's only been proven that a questionable "benchmark" shows an unverifiable issue that could have other explanations.

At this point, getting the thread back on topic is going to be nearly impossible.

When this thread started, you appeared to be approaching things in a more acceptable and reasonable manor than in the last thread, which is the only reason this thread is still open.

Pill didn't ruin the previous thread. The subject matter and approach to it are what ruined the last thread. You can't go into a forum and start throwing out accusations without any actual proof and expect the thread to remain open. The owner of this forum does hardware reviews. To permit unproven accusations to be paraded as fact makes the forum look bad and risks hardware makers refusing to submit products for review.

18. gtx980

gtx980 Banned

GPU:
    gtx980
    he knows exactly, but is a nvidia fanboy, i know him from 3denter ;)

i would be glad if someone could do that.

it uses p2 state bios clock which is 3005mhz.

19. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    According to that, no problem actually exists.

20. |-c2c-|Rom

|-c2c-|Rom Member Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1660TI OC
    Listen guys maybe there a problem

Nvidia is aware the situation and they are working on it so theres nothing to get crazy about it.There things a lot more important in live than a video card.So at least i take it that way,i'm still playing with my card and have pleasure.

If Nvidia find a problem they will fixed it,and thats all nothing more to say about it.Talk about it and get mad at others wont bring a fix so we just have to be patient and wait for a solution.

Have fun guys,take care

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.