970 memory allocation issue revisited

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by alanm, Jan 23, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nanogenesis

nanogenesis Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI R9 390X 1178|6350
    JohnLai

Remember when you compare GTX780 with GTX780TI, the Ti has 7ghz memory chips and all the 780s have 6ghz memory chips. DRAM bandwidth will naturally differ.

2. Öhr

Öhr Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD RX 5700XT @ H₂O
    the movement youre talking about might just be the video encoder working. as you may or may not know, many codecs, including h264 work, by analysing the movement between frames and just save that information instead of everything. Lets say we have 3 frames to encode and the second one fails, it would result in an empty or glitched frame. however the movement of the third frame gets applied to the second one as well and tadaaaaa~: you got yourself the video you recorded. I doubt that it actually encoded frames that didnt make it to the monitor.

3. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    My thoughts exactly.....

Fwiw AnandTech and Reddit users are also saying the same thing, bandwidth only drops when DWM is enabled.

Read:
    http://www.reddit.com/r/pcmasterrace/comments/2tfybe/investigating_the_970_vram_issue/

http://forums.anandtech.com/showthread.php?t=2416150&page=9

For anyone who doesn't know, DWM forces desktop apps and windows to stay in vram and be rendered by the GPU.

When a fullscreen app (like a game) needs exclusive GPU access, DWM is supposed to move the the 2D apps into system memory.

With DWM enabled and a desktop app like a CLI window running a benchmark, that VRAM reserved for desktop use won't be given up, forcing the app to use system RAM for any spillover.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2015
  4. JohnLai

JohnLai Member Guru

GPU:
    ASUS GTX 970 3.5+0.5GB
    Ah, I totally forgot about the memory chip speed. >.< No direct comparison between 780 and 780ti then.

5. SuperAverage

SuperAverage Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte xtreme 1080
    I think you are saying that the codec just repeated frames during "dropped" capture or rendering. I suggest you watch the video more closely at 1080 full screen. You'll see full movement, not the placement of the last or next rendered-to-screen frame.

And yes, I'm saying exactly that, shadowplay recorded frames that did not make it to the monitor.

6. Chrysalis

Chrysalis Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080 FE
    I still play it without patches. as I think the 2nd patch made the game worse, and patch 3 didnt fix it.

7. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RX5700
    Pill, we need to post some of the comments from Anandtech so others can read them without clicking the links.

from jj109 post #202 on Anandtech...
    Can someone point out WHY I quoted this particular post from Anandtech forums?

8. JohnLai

JohnLai Member Guru

GPU:
    ASUS GTX 970 3.5+0.5GB
    If his statement is true, it means shader heavy games are unable to use the upper quarter (3.3-3.5gb above)....which back to original complain on why some games only used up to 3.5gb...hmmm....

I surrender~

9. rm082e

rm082e Master Guru

GPU:
    3080 - QHD@165hz
    I went to both links and did a search for "DWM" - no results. Consider me a windows id10t - what is "DWM"?

10. Headd

Headd Active Member

GPU:
    GTX970
    If that is true why GTX780 and 780TI have same results?
    GTX780TI have 25% more SP, but in nai benchmark they are both OK.

11. OrionCheung

OrionCheung Member Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1070 GAMING 8G
    Yea, all test pass with Aero disable. I also disable pcie spread spectrum. Now on GPUZ say it is @x16 2.0

Test results.
    http://i.imgur.com/c8UZHiw.jpg

Aero disabled. But this time with a "solid" black color background:
    http://i.imgur.com/apq9YOx.jpg

going to go play some more with the settings.

12. Öhr

Öhr Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD RX 5700XT @ H₂O
    if you are talking about the completely glitched frames (e.g. all purple/red/pink), the frame is probably a i-frame and the one were you see movement (while its still pink) are properly rendered ones and the encoder uses cheap p or b-frames to just store the movement.

In order to accurately determine who is correct, youd need to recordethe graphicscard output via a capture card or simply a camera recording your monitor while simultaneously recording via shadowplay.

P.S.

13. SuperAverage

SuperAverage Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte xtreme 1080
    I had planned on doing that actually. Will do so this evening. I considered capturing via shadowplay, fraps and a camera simultaneously, in case fraps and shadowplay capture video differently. That way we'd have side-by-side comparisons.

Gotta get to work here shortly, so I will do this after work. Looking forward to the results and a possible explanation.

14. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RX5700
    It appears your only purpose here is to prove a problem exists, which is the wrong way to go about it. If you look at anything hard enough, while looking for a specific problem, you will find the problem. This is actually something I spend my day doing. Looking at problems, finding ways to test the problems and determining solutions to those problems.

My purpose is simply to find an answer. What that answer is, doesn't affect me in the least. My card functions just fine for it's intended purpose which, coincidentally, was never gaming. The only point at which the results have an impact on me, is if it means an artificial limitation to OpenCL performance.

That poster suggested running the CUDA Profiler, while running the benchmark to see exactly what the "benchmark" is really doing.

It's suggested on other "forums" that the "benchmark" isn't producing completely accurate results. Running the CUDA Profiler while the "benchmark" is running, should answer your question. Unfortunately, it needs to be done on the 2 systems that the GTX780 and GTX780Ti are installed in, which means those 2 users need to be able to interpret the data from CUDA Profiler.

15. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500

[​IMG]

16. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
  17. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RX5700
    Some people are going to jump on the fact that it wasn't done in headless mode and DWM was enabled...... It's too close to a "real-world" scenario where the results would actually matter.

18. Headd

Headd Active Member

GPU:
    GTX970
  19. SuperAverage

SuperAverage Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte xtreme 1080
    Not at all, sir, I just think you are making the testing parameters far more complicated than necessary.

Simple points of relevance:

The 970 and 980 were marketed as having identical memory specifications.

Do they? No problem, let us put the issue to rest.
    Do they not? Then there is a problem.

20. maur0

maur0 Master Guru

GPU:
    point of view gtx 570 1gb
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.