9600Xt killed Mobo

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by Lucas123, Feb 3, 2005.

1. Lucas123

Lucas123 Guest

Hello;
    Recently received a 9600XT OEM Video Card and installed it as per the instructions inclosed. Now my computer does not power up at all. Reinstalled my old video card and my computer does not power up. What is going on? Is my Mobo dead now?

AthalonXP 2200+
    MSI KT4V mobo
    728mb 2700 333MHZ RAM
    Sounblaster Live Audio.
    Video GForce2TI (to be replaced)

Power supply is:
    3.3v 28A
    5v 38A
    12v 17A
    -12v 0.8A
    -5v 0.5A
    5vsb 2A

Thank you;
    Arnie Lucas

2. PsXDnS

PsXDnS Member

GPU:
    ATI Radeon 9800 XT @ 434/389
    Do you get any beep codes?

Try cleaning off the motherboard with some canned air - also clean out the AGP slot with canned air.

Also, take a pencil with a good clean eraser and erase the part of the GFX card where it hooks into the AGP slot (the gold plated ****). This is a good safe method to clean off the gunk that might be interfeering...

Let me know if any of this works..

3. Lucas123

Lucas123 Guest

No dice

Cleaned everything, looked hard at the AGP connector as well and it looks good. I've tried the new video card and the old one that used to work and it didn't fix the no power trouble. When i pull out either video card the CPU and sytem fans come on, co I don't thinks its power supply problem. I also reset the CMOS and nothing. I think installing the new video card may have screwed something up on the board.

4. Lucas123

Lucas123 Guest

Forgot no beep code.

5. Fluffbutt

Fluffbutt Member Guru

GPU:
    GTX560 Ti SLI
    If the cpu and system fans come on, does the hard drive whine up to speed?

Do you have any diagnostic lights on the mobo?

Last edited: Feb 6, 2005
  6. truAp0stle

truAp0stle Master Guru

GPU:
    ATI X800XL 256 @ 430~1100 ~Samsung 930b 19" LCD
    No post codes?

Interesting. It's not like a 9600XT is designed to fry your mobo. But since your not even getting a post code there code be a whole slew of things wrong.

1. DId you wear Electro Static Discharge wrist doo-dads when you are working on your box? I hope so....

You may want to try removing all your sticks of RAM and placing them back in....(its worked for me in the past)

7. Kow

Kow Maha Guru

GPU:
    HIS Radeon HD 5850
    I never use a electrostatic wrisband or whatever, but I'm always holding part of the computer case when I'm working on it.

8. truAp0stle

truAp0stle Master Guru

GPU:

I've done the exact same thing....touching the case with one hand, wrestling a video card in another and a cup of coffee in another hand....oh ****...wait, thats three hands isnt it?

Well, at least you all know im not human but more importantly octopus man. Oh wait, then I would have said tentacles not hands. ;)

Wrist strapz arent necessary but easier than touching case, and alot safer. Oh well.

Lucas did you try and reseat all your sticks of RAM?

9. Kow

Kow Maha Guru

GPU:
    HIS Radeon HD 5850
    I could always take a copper wire and wrap it around my wrist and hook it up somewhere to the case. :D

10. truAp0stle

truAp0stle Master Guru

GPU:
    Yes MacGuyver, you can do that as well!

[​IMG]

loloz.

;)

11. FatBoyNL

FatBoyNL Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2070 Gaming Z
    I had a similar issue with my ASUS A9600XT. My old Gigabyte obo went dead after using the 9600XT for several months. But I didn't have any problems until the mobo wouldn't boot anymore...
    My new ASUS mobo showed incompatibilities with the same vidcard for months... Freezes, lockups and BSODs.
    Decided to blame the vidcard and returned it to the retailer, who tested it ok after a day of running 3DMark03 continuously :( I couldn't do that on my rig... I declared the old mobo DEAD, but I think it has/had the same problem as yours. I think I remember that it seemed to boot "normally" without ANY vidcard...
    My new 6800LE never showed any problem on the new ASUS board, so I'm pretty sure that board is ok. But that 9600XT definately was a waste of money. [Edit: for me, anyway. It's still on a shelve and I wouldn't sell it to any of my friends...]

Last edited: Feb 7, 2005
  12. Lucas123

Lucas123 Guest

Ok this what has happened so far:
    I pulled everything off the Motherboard, reinstalled everything back on and nothing.

Still no power until I physically remove the Graphics Card.

I have a duplicate system and being a dumb sh#$ i tried the New 9600XT ATI graphics card in it as well.
    It killed that system as well does exactly the same thing. NOTHING. Until you remove the Graphics card and then power is applied but no video.

By the way I tried the old video cards back into the systems and they no longer work. So I do not think its a Static Elect Issue, Configuration Issue, Power Supply or CMOS issue.

I also contacted ATI on this as well, and of course they have no idea what is going on. They believe its a configuration issue.

Maybe what I should do is place a PCI Video card into the system and see whats going on, but really what will that prove?

Thanks;
    Lucas123

13. F!shyz0r

F!shyz0r Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX 6600GT 128MB @ 560 / 1150
    if it boots without card then the card is broken....

14. Cogar

Cogar Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI NX6600GT
    It is a good bet the video card is defective. Knocking out two motherboards is proof. It may have an internal short or something.

15. Cogar

Cogar Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI NX6600GT
    That is a good idea. It will confirm whether the board is damaged or just the circuitry dealing with the AGP. I understand that is small consolation, since in any case I believe you need to replace your board. You might send an email to MSI and ask them if they have any issues with the KT4V when used with the ATI 9600XT. It may have happened before and they may have a solution, like replacing the BIOS prom or something. It is worth a shot.

16. Lucas123

Lucas123 Guest

Good idea on contacting MSi, however they have had no issues with the Graphics card.

Did i mention this was an OEM version 9600XT

I went to the store and bought a Saphire 9600xt. Put in the bad boards and of course nothing. BUT..... I installed it into another KT4V that I had an it worked like a champ. Nice cards !! I RMA'd the OEM video card and RMA'd the 2 motherboards as well that are now bad.

So it seems like it most defiantely was a bad video card...

Thank you all for your help:D

17. Cogar

Cogar Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI NX6600GT
    I am glad that you got things working. Too bad you had to go through so much stress to get there. :eek:c:

Let me add that exactly half of the video cards I have purchased (3 of 6) have been OEM cards. Although two of the three were fine, one card significantly under-performed its specs, which made me suspicious of OEMs. My thinking is that the "premium" cards will be sold for maximum profit at retail (and maybe even have better guarantees), and what is left over will be sold as OEMs to manufacturers and hobbyist builders.