9600XT Hard-Lock problem

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by 3DGuy, Apr 20, 2004.

1. 3DGuy

3DGuy Master Guru

GPU:
    HIS ATI Radeon 9600 XT 128MB 8x TV-
    ok dammit after all this years i thought i was gonna get a good card that will work for years.. but NO!

Ok first of all I bought this card 2 months ago, everything was perfect until now, I'm experiencing hard lockups. At some point yesterday while playing FarCry, my screen went black and the sound was stuck. Ok, after all that I reset my PC, now it didnt even make it to WinXP, the mouse pointer was frozen, everything else was frozen. After several reboots, no worky, then I tried safe mode, it worked but with some artifacts (not particularly vertical lines, the GUI, icons we're like multisampling and the colors are 256bit). I mean WOW.. the old memories where my GF4Ti4200 blew... this seriously bothering me now.

I finally decided to unplug/plug in the card, I even cooled the card with an airconditioner. Then I inserted in again, I booted up to winXP and viola! Its fixed!

After that.. I went to sleep and the next day yes (TODAY, just now) it locked up into me again, same happened when I was playing FarCry yesterday. Ok, I must admit that I overclocked the card past 2 months, but today Its no longer overclocked, plus the increment is very very SMALL. about 25mhz on memory/core. It shouldn't be a problem right? But I have no idea, is the card overheating? Probably because of these 4.3 drivers, they made my card's temp increase in +3C. Now its at 43C idle.

So.. what you guys think is the problem? Overheating or defective?

2. Jimmers

Jimmers Master Guru

GPU:
    eVGA 6800gt r1 agp
    Sounds like an RMA is in order. Is your CPU OC'd at all? Sometimes that will lead to lockups/freezes/restarts.

3. Rebel=UK=

Rebel=UK= Guest

I had this prob with my old 1.4 athlon comp, it would just freeze sometime b4 it loaded windows, and even in bios it would also not restart and i would have to wait abit b4 it would start up again (wasnt temp as sometimes would freeze first thing in morning), and sometime it could b fine for hours then lock up, i narrowed it down to 2 things, the CPU r motherboard as i used all the other bits in a new comp and they were fine in it, so it might not b the gcards fault, im not sure about this but if its locking b4 its loaded windows, im not sure if the gcard drivers r loaded yet, can u try the card in another comp?

4. 3DGuy

3DGuy Master Guru

GPU:
    Well.. this is odd I'm not getting anymore lock ups.. maybe its the ATI VPU reset? I always keep it on..

5. KNIFE

KNIFE Master Guru

GPU:
    SAPPHIRE X800 GTO2 16pipe
    u said u overclocked it 25 on the core and memory to overclock the core that much should be fine as it is cooled, but not sure about the memory. on my 9600xt the mem is set at 325 i have only oc it to 330 as this card has no memory heat sinks on them so i know it isnt a good idea to go too high. on my mem chips it says 340 which is the frequency it can run at but without extra cooling i wouldnt dare go that high' coz if i brake this card ati states i cant get a replacement as i have sent off the halflife 2 valture=a big joke. so what im saying if i oc my mem from 325 to 350 id probly fry the chips as there supose to be 340 i think at top optimal speed anything higher then im making the chip do something it just aint made to do. but this may not be the case with ur card as the 9600xt's use different memory on different models i think mine is DDR2 memory.
    my advise to u is research on google to see if any1 is having the same problem as u discibe using search engines like google. also try going back to 4.2 drivers see if that helps. cheak the exact spec's of ur cards memory and see if u can find a max frequency rating then see if u crossed it. a search u could try is the name of ur card followed buy overclocking.

6. Rebel=UK=

Rebel=UK= Guest

I keep my vpu recovery off as i used to get lockups on games, like nfsu etc , with it off i dont get them anymore

7. blair

blair Master Guru

GPU:
    ATI X1900 XT
    I had / have the same problem with my 9600XT. A lot of people seem to be having this problem. Try to keep the card as cool as possible, this seemed to help a lot. I haven't had the problem in a few days now (it was happening all the time). Make sure fastwrites and sideband addressing are both ON! Most people have trouble when fastwrites are on - but apperently keeping them can help a lot with 9600XT's. I don't know exacty what solved the problem - but i keeping fastwrites on helped a lot. (omega drivers default fastwrites to off - if you use them).

Hope that helps.

8. 3DGuy

3DGuy Master Guru

GPU:
    Fastwrites is ON in the BIOS but Omega Drivers 4.3 turn it off on Windows, but.. there's really something odd, even if Omega Driver author himself said that Fastwrites are no longer needed on 4.3 and it is turned off in windows.. when I turn off Fastwrites in the BIOS.. I never bootup to WinXP.. it crashes straight.. so I'm probably guessing the driver Fastwrites aren't exactly on effect?

Anyhow blair I think you're right, this is a heating problem, that was because that day everything was super hot, the room temperature was hot (airconditioner turned off). And it's summer.. so I'd expect this kind of temperature but not for the card.. the idle run was 44C which was very high compared before, but yesterday I left the PC alone during the night with the airconditioner in the room turned on, after a few hours I looked at the temperature and it was 34C! Amazing!

btw KNIFE, my 9600XT is made by HIS, and it's supposed to run at 650mhz memory (as stated on the turbo model). But mine is a classic package although the card are exactly 100% similar! So I had to OC my memory to make up with the Turbo model..

Maybe this is my GPU overheating not my memory..

9. Vxheous

Vxheous Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X
    looks can be deceiving......i never liked the 9600 series of cards, it seemed as though too many ppl had trouble with it, including my roommate...his comp just randomly crashes, when playing games....and i've tried everything I could possibly think of, as well as everything mentioned in the Forum......he's taken his comp back to the place he bought it from (Future Shop, i know, I'm going to build him a new comp this summer) and they say there's nothing wrong....and this is with everything running stock.

10. Fenrir51

Fenrir51 Member

I have the same problem and my computer is running at stock speed with fast writes off. Iirc it started when i picked up 4.0+ cats. Still happens even with fastwrite on, when i tried overclocking with some tool that teted the speed and showed a cube it would lock up when the core and or memory was 3 mhz higher.

Video freezes and sound locks up into a high pitched tone.

After crashing windows tells me it recovered from a serious error.

Antec SLK3700AMB
    P4(C) 2.4 GHZ
    IC7-G Max2
    Corsair XMS 3200 (2x512mb)
    Radeon 9600XT
    Audigy 2 ZS
    Maxtor 120GB HD w/8mb buffer
    Maxtor 20GB HD

11. Bono

Bono Guest

Downclock

Hi I have read all your threads and i got the same prob. to. I have tryed to set AGP volts to 1.6 and 1.7 and 1.8 but this doesnt help. I do not have hardlock that often with more volt's,:rolleyes:
    But i got a question about bios setting . What is the Vcore setting ? it says 1.744 volt in my bios, i assumed it was the Video card volt's (AGP Volt). As i have tryed everything, i found out that downclocking the card is the best solution that works for me, but its not god enough "low frames stinks" :D. Is the downclocking solution a hint to a new powersupply ?

12. 3DGuy

3DGuy Master Guru

GPU:
    Well I dunno, its not hapenning to me anymore.. so I'm assuming that my problem was with VPU recover. Apparently my card overheated because there was bad airflow sudden increased temperature (heatwave because its summer). And yes the airconditioner was OFF. I'm guessing that the card had hit up to 60C or something which crashed it immediately.

Now I'm getting cooler temperatures, 34C idle 40C+ on load. Fixed my problem :D

13. chomorro

chomorro Member Guru

GPU:
    BFG 6800GS OC
    i have the same exact problem 3D GUY but mine started a world of bankruptcy :(. Bought Far Cry and the game would freeze up on me randomly with same high pitched noise and such. I had a amd 2600+ 768 mb ddr333 a jat7 fan for cpu and one fan for case. i thought it was my setup not handling the Far Cry stress.
    To make the story short i have a whole new setup with a amd 64 3200+ 4 case fans with new case and 1G ddr400 memory msi k8n pro. i reinstalled windows 5 times this week thinking it was a virus or a bad driver, software. I bought a SATA hard drive had a comp tech guy install everything including 4.4 cats and all drivers for mouse, sound etc. he runs 3d mark 03 was ran scored 3800 3d mark 2001 ran scored 13200. ran prime 95 for 6 hours straight on torture test everything checks out ok. i install Far Cry, play it 20 mins into it LOCKS up again with high pitched noise i had fast write off. Locked up twice more trying to play CS and cs is not graphically instensive at all. Tried diff cat's etc. nothing worked.
    I went and bought a vantec pci slot dual fan and turned on fast write and record time my system has not been rebooted by crashing is now 6 hours 24 minutes. temps stay at around 31C after playing CS for 2 hours straight with both 3d marks ran 3 times each before and after. I havent tried far cry yet, i dont want to stress out before bed again :). anyways on control panel over clock the new cooling on the vid card seems to have helped a lot.
    conclusion i hope my problem is fixed should have checked this board instead of spending all the dough on a new comp, seems its common for 9600xt users. Going to put back my old comp together now that i know it is vid card related and save for a 9800xt GEEZ im already a 1000 dollars in the hole -_-. Far Cry started all of this bahhhhhh.

14. 3DGuy

3DGuy Master Guru

GPU:
    Yeap, this is definitely a temperature problem... damn, I don;t have any clue my card has one of the best stock cooling from all 9600XTs (HIS). bridged Ramsinks, back and front, copper heatsink+fan combo w/ LED :p.

But heck I dunno why it crashed suddenly that time.. anyway it was overclocked after all. So I'm guessing its the core since ATi recommends those "overdrive" speeds to be lower when temperature increases:

FAQ from ATi:

RADEON 9600 XT
    527 MHz 0°C-47°C
    513 MHz 44°C-67°C
    500 MHz 64°C-127°C

Yup.. I probably hit around 55-60C and my card is still at 526mhz which is not recommended by ATi (because i OCed my card manually). Hence, VPU recover must have had tried to shut the core down.

BUt I still have no idea when I rebooted, there were problems but then another reboot, it works fine.

Right now I'm at stock speeds, its been almost a week now, no more problems whatsoever, rock solid. :)

15. Hyvry1

Hyvry1 Maha Guru

GPU:
    980m 8GB
    I use the 9600xt Fireblade, and my temp at none load are: 34-35C, and at load it never goes above 40C, and that is if i have been playing for ages and a very demanding game.

16. 3DGuy

3DGuy Master Guru

GPU:
    Well, I'm using 4.3.. thats +3-5C more at least I can think of.

17. Hyvry1

Hyvry1 Maha Guru

GPU:
    980m 8GB
    I have not bothered going to Cat 4.4 from 4.3 because it was only intended as a fix for some games that i don't have problems with.

18. MikeMK

MikeMK Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x RTX 2080Ti SLI
    I have a problem with 9600XT in a PC I built. (not the one in my specs). It randomly crashes to desktop from every game u try on it. It can be everything from 3-30 mins into a game. Ive stuck good cooling in it, tried AGP volts, tested RAM, cant get to the bottom of it! Been driving me insane cos there seems to be no reason for it!

EDIT: BTW its a hercules 9600XT (overdrive doesnt seem 2 b present on the drivers) running on a K7N2 delta, 512mb 3200 A-DATA ram, and 2500+

19. chomorro

chomorro Member Guru

GPU:
    BFG 6800GS OC
    yea i hear you mike my stupid crashes were driving me and the comp tech guys at my comp shop crazy also. i think im going to try and find a 9800XT for 300 and call it a day. Anyone had luck over clocking this card??? i have over drive enabled to defend agaisnt heat and just upped the mem to 340 and seems to run fine a bit hotter 35-38C but seems stable and no crashes yet. but if it is heat that causing it i dont see how the temps can sky rocket so high to crash the card. my temps where 31C then playing far cry for about 15 min would crash it. After reboot temps where about 31-34C on the card. Im confused -_-.

20. upayme

upayme Guest

:eek: I am having the exact same problem! I have been going nuts. It started a couple months ago when I would try to load SWG. Most times the pc would just lock up, sometimes making a horrible audible noise. Occasionaly it would reboot out of the blue. I later installed a Farcry demo and had random locking issues with it. Have since stopped playing SWG and have had no issues with warcraft III.

I signed up for City of Heroes beta, Lineage II beta, and ryzom. Lineage II I have had no problems(lucky???) CoH failed 3 times. Ryzom won't even run. I updated to 4.4 catalyst, no dice. updated chipset drivers; no dice. reverted back to 4.1 catalyst....same rusult.

I am at the point of wiping the system and starting over. I have also considered updating the mobo bios(never done that yet).

I went against the grain switching from Nvidia to Ati and am now beginning to regret it. :(

BTW as to the heating issue....I have locked up plenty, shortly after coming out of standby, so I know its not heat-related at least in my case. I have really good cooling.

someone please help us.