9600GT power consumption

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by MrCompillitrate, May 16, 2008.

1. MrCompillitrate

MrCompillitrate Maha Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 1080ti/960m
    I was wondering if i should upgrade my PSU. I'm also wondering if an overclocked 4600+ would handle my 9600. even an overclocked E4400

thanks.

2. burebista

burebista Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX1060GAMING X
    Yep, upgrade your so called PSU, and yep an OC'ed 4400 or 4600+ should be fine for 9600GT.

3. superdunkaroos

superdunkaroos Master Guru

GPU:
    xpertvision 9600gt 512mb
    how many amps does it have on the 12v line?
    u see i use a 500 watt power supply..and everything works fine here.

the 9600gt's don't require that much power.

Last edited: May 16, 2008
  4. Zareph

Zareph Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire NITRO+ RX480 4GB
    Man, I run an 8800GT, it consumes more power than a 9600GT. With a 500w PSU.
    He doesn't need to upgrade.

And yes, I've tried this PSU with a newer processor. I borrowed my friend's Q6600 last time we had a LAN party, to test how games would perform. And I didn't have power issues at that time, either.

5. burebista

burebista Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX1060GAMING X
    Man, I know that 9600GT draw less than an 8800GT, all I said was "upgrade your so called PSU"

LE: Peezee you have a Fortron based PSU so it's OK. ;)

Last edited: May 16, 2008
  6. Tokintegra

Tokintegra Master Guru

GPU:
    3x BFG 8800GTX OC2 on h20
    its not just about the wattage, his psu may be pushed if the amperage isnt high enough

7. RandomUserName

RandomUserName Member Guru

GPU:
    PNY 8800GT 720/1740/950
    i run my overclocked 8800GS on a stock 300 watter, no issues. not as beefy as the 9600GT, perhaps? i dunno? just fyi...

i like to use this:

http://extreme.outervision.com/index.jsp

i've used it twice before and trust it. just click on the "xtreme power supply calculator" link at the top of the page and follow it to the calculator page.

according to the calculator i can run the 9600GT with my system on a 312 watt PSU...so i would feel ok about it for myself. my 8800GS, 304w. so not much more.

8. Gripen90

Gripen90 Master Guru

GPU:
    2x RTX 2080Ti SLi
    A 9600GT uses 95watt max.

I run 9600GT SLI and have CPU OC'ed and i have a 500watt psu (2x 12v rails with 18amp's each).

9. Makalu

Makalu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 8800 Ultra
    A Logisys 550 isn't a 550W PSU...even the label says 400W and there's some doubt about it's ability to do that...probably closer to 350 on a good cold day in Antarctica. I say upgrade...and buy something good this time.

10. YuKsS

YuKsS Maha Guru

GPU:
    Asus gtx 1070 strix oc
    well i got the same card (xfx) and my psu is just 450w raidmax, and everything runs just fine...

11. MrCompillitrate

GPU:
    ASUS 1080ti/960m
    I was strapped for cash and needed something bigger. it was only 25. and it hasnt failed me yet.

12. SaGeUvAgOnY

SaGeUvAgOnY Member Guru

GPU:
    2x EVGA GeForce 9600GT 51
    My current setup tops out at around 405W max according to my UPS. This is while playing crysis with overclocked q6600 quad and 2x 9600gt SLI. Right now as im typing this I'm hovering around 260W-270W with SLI currently enabled (SLI for Vista's Aero lol) You're fine!

fdh kjfdskjfds damn everything around me is moving. Ijust took an ambien cr for the first time and i'm all fkjdhsfkdsafjklkale and loopy. cANS barely rype straightt. Nights all!!1

13. ViperXtreme

ViperXtreme Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 Super Jetstream
    i was also hesitant at first and on of the reasons i got the 9600GT instead of the 8800GT, but my 4 year ol HEC 475W PowerOP PSU is still powering my rig :D fine (since the time o the 5900XT and components are Overclocked)

14. Makalu

Makalu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 8800 Ultra
    yeah I understand...that's how they make their living...people are looking for a good buy and see a "550W" PSU for only $25 and jump on it. Logisys doesn't really advertise the fact that 550 is a peak rating, not continuous. Although I am skeptical that it can do 550 peak too...a high quality 400W continuous unit generally won't carry a peak rating that high, and this isn't a high quality unit.

But anyway, Logisys get's away with it because they know that most systems don't even need the 350W or so that this unit can provide and those people who do have systems who need more than that aren't really likely to complain much that they were trying to run an expensive system on a $25 PSU.

I still can't say that it was a good decision...there are worse 350-400W PSU's on the market in that price range but there are better ones too. Newegg regularly sells Earthwatts 380's for $20-30 after MIR and that's actually a good quality modern designed unit with stable voltages and high efficiency and more power where it's needed (12V rail/s) then the Logisys "550". The Logisys is an old design with the obsolete -5V rail that was phased out between 1997-2000 and was designed with a +5V heavy system in mind, not a 12V heavy modern system.

I understand that's it's working...and that's a whole lot better than one that's not working. But there's more to consider then just quantity of power. You can expect the quality of power it's outputting to be not very good. Efficiency is probably below 70% (and a more expensive higher efficiency unit would probably have paid for itself by now in electricity cost savings). Voltage stability is probably not very good...most Logisys units will have constant fluctuation even under idle load conditions...this isn't going to give you good overclocks. I have no idea what the noise & ripple is like but it wouldn't surprise me if it's bad.

I also have to wonder what happens when the unit stops working...they do list some minimal safety circuits (over power, over voltage and short circuit)...an over current circuit would be more comforting to see. But they don't even tell you what the over power and over voltage levels are (assuming that they even exist or will function properly when the time comes). So anyway, there's always a risk with a low-quality unit that when the end of it's lifespan comes that it will damage something else in the process.

Anyway, I say upgrade...as soon as possible and regardless of the load it's being subjected to. You're decision of course...but that's my recommendation. :)

15. MrCompillitrate

GPU:
    ASUS 1080ti/960m
    i miss my absolute power :(
    yeah when i get a job i'll upgrade. i need a mobo for my new processor. cause the one i have now doesn't support my hard drives..and i want more ram. and a pretty case and what not. but it makes do for now.