9600GT on XP DX 9?

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by JVM, Apr 15, 2008.

1. Zareph

Zareph Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire NITRO+ RX480 4GB
    Fan failure is something you rarely hear about anymore. They've improved them alot, and they now have 2-3 ball bearing and such. My Zalman VF700-Cu, which is getting old, is as close to noiseless as it comes when using the 5V option. :)
    Also, 3 years is alot of time served for a video card. Any card will be way outdated in 3 years. Still, probably had a bad fan to begin with - newer fans just doesn't fail like that.

@ Passion Fruit: That was with your 7800GTX? My 7600GT (atleast it's a 7-series aswell) didn't need a BIOS flash. Worked perfectly. Only thing which sucks for me is the tearing in Vista Basic mode (I run Aero, thank god) with my motherboard and an AGP card.
    It only happens with Asrock boards though. Only they are careless enough to make so many mistakes... Sigh. :bang:

Last edited: Apr 16, 2008
  2. w 4 f f l e s

w 4 f f l e s Master Guru

GPU:
    HIS HD7870 2GB
  3. Zareph

Zareph Ancient Guru

GPU:
  4. Wicken

Wicken Member

GPU:
    GTX980Ti
    If you are concerned with fan failure just get an EVGA card. They have lifetime warranties which I would assume would cover any kind of failure like that along with any damage it would cause to the card.

5. alcest

alcest Active Member

GPU:
    MSI R9 280X
    And if you are short on money, i recommend you to buy the one of the cheapest dual core E2160, one cheap mobo from asrock, they are better these days, and one really cheap ram module, i have a-data 2gb 800+, and all these together you have perfekt machine to overclock, (and almost forgot, cpu cooler, i have arctic cooling freezer 7 pro, very good price for its perf.), and i guarantee you that you could push at least 3gb from cpu, and ram could do 1066 mhz, you dont need to buy higher priced cpu, and you will still boost your system, definitely, (i have also 4 hdd in raid, from my previous pc)
    and you could still see my prev pc under my name

6. Sukovsky

Sukovsky Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080
    Just get it, it'll be a massive boost, no matter what.

7. Zareph

Zareph Ancient Guru

GPU:
    I represent all things fighting Asrock motherboards. Do not get one, ever. Counting the things that are wrong with them just takes too much time to do it in this topic too.
    Also, an E4300 would be preferable over the E2160, after all, pretty much everyone can afford an E4300.
    Also, as long as you have 2gb DDR2 ram, the difference will be neglible. My DDR2-667 did not give me a performance increase over DDR-400, at all. The amount does matter, if you don't have enough. But as it is, even in Crysis I don't use full 2gb, so getting 2 more gb of RAM would not help me at all ;)

I'd propose a cheap MSI PCI-E motherboard, only needs one slot. 2gb DDR2-800 (the difference on that and 667 will not really be, gaming wise. But always nice to have the fastest, if it's almost the same price anyway). And an E4300, with an Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro (cause it's so cheap, yet effective price-performance) :)

8. InfDaMarvel

InfDaMarvel Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HD3850 256mb
    Ok I don't want to turn this topic into a argument about motherboards. But Judging a motherboard based on its brand name instead of its quality is unfair judgment. And Basing your judgment of a brand based off your experience with one of its motherboards/products is unfair as well.

Id get the graphics card, and then upgrade to the CPU though.

9. Zareph

Zareph Ancient Guru

GPU:
    And why so? Their 775Dual series have similar problems. I have the board, I have heard complaints about a vast amount of their different boards while searching for solutions to my own board's list of problems.
    I think I have the right to judge Asrock as a crappy brand; more than you do atleast. You have a Gigabyte P35. I've only heard good things about the P35. ;)

10. InfDaMarvel

InfDaMarvel Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HD3850 256mb
    My motherboard has had reports about having incredibly high vdroop, unlike other motherboards. I guess I should just start telling people to buy other P35s motherboards from Abit and ASUS.

o wait my E2180 doesnt clock as good as everyone elses, should I tell people to buy AMD for now on?

Take Google and type in any motherboard or any piece of hardware, and put "problems" at the end. I'm assuming you might just find people having problems with all sorts of hardware.

Hell you could do the same thing with anything and google.

I hope what I'm trying to say is made obvious.

11. Zareph

Zareph Ancient Guru

GPU:
    You haven't got this motherboard, don't think you know better than me.

Everyone will, for an example, have a problem with an AGP card on any of the VIA PT880 Pro / Ultra chipsets (almost all their boards) on an Asrock board, if running Vista. Why? Insane screen tearing in Basic. It haven't been fixed with BIOS updates.

Does your vdrop happen to everyone else with the exact same board if they have same hardware specs? Then yeah, go ahead. Who wants a motherboard that is guaranteed to vdrop with your specs, just like the Asrock is guaranteed to tear the screen...

Sure there's problems with all motherboards. Just not all motherboards that have anywhere near this many problems, and this is for atleast half of their boards as of now.

It's not a fault if an E2180 doesn't clock very high, by the way. It's a fault if it can't handle stock clock, on the other hand.

Hope what I'm trying to say is made clear. If not, I don't care.

Cheers.

12. JVM

JVM Active Member

GPU:
    ECS 9600 GT 512MB 256-bit
    I have seen that before, but height of the card is too high for the case I plan to use.

13. JVM

JVM Active Member

GPU:
    I have been looking at motherboards to pick for the E8600 processor when it comes out, but I am lost in choosing. Does it matter if PCI-E16X is 1.0 or 2.0 using a single 9600 GT?

14. JVM

JVM Active Member

GPU:
    Let's turn this into an argument about motherboards since I know what card I need but don't know which motherboard to get. :)

15. FlawleZ

FlawleZ Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Radeon R9
    Why don't you just buy the video card and forget about the CPU unless your system shows little to no improvement. Contrary to what many will try and portray here, the modern CPU plays a VERY LITTLE role in games today.

You'll be very happy with the 9600GT.

16. JVM

JVM Active Member

GPU:
    The ASUS 9600 GT Silent card I want is not available here at this time, perhaps in a month. Meanwhile, I am interested in moving up to a dual core processor, namely the forthcoming E8600 from Intel. Since I have the video card picked out, what I need is help choosing a passive motherboard, and the quietest cooling solution, not including water cooling.

17. Zareph

Zareph Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Any idea what the E8600 will be priced at, comparing to the E8400?

Anyway, if the 9600GT is for PCI-E 2.0, you can also use PCI-E 1.0a. It's backwards-compatible.

I'm getting a P7N SLI Platinum, a cheap motherboard that has 2 PCI-E 16x ports for SLI (though they will be running 8x when using SLI, the performance difference is like, 2fps, so who cares), and a PCI-E 2.0 16x port. So that's 3 PCI-E ports, nothing to worry about. It uses DDR2, has a 1333MHz FSB (kinda good), and overclocks very nicely.
    Get it while it's hot if you're looking for an Intel C2D 8-series compatible motherboard that also supports quad. Here's a review:
    http://www.overclock3d.net/reviews.php?/cpu_mainboard/msi_p7n_sli_platinum_750i_based_motherboard/1

As you can see at the conclusion, overclock3d.net gave it the Editor's Choice and Value for Money awards.

18. JVM

JVM Active Member

GPU:
    Very interesting, and I see it is a passive board. I was surprised it has NVIDIA chipset instead of Intel. I wonder what that means in terms of NVIDIA versus Intel? Also, I would like to know how many fan headers it has and how many can be read/sensed by a utility like Speedfan or Hmonitor?

This may surprise you, but I'm not into over clocking, mainly because I want to keep things as cool as possible making the system easier to cool and thus quiet.

There is a new BIOS update for that board from 2-25-08 that may not be on the board you get, so you may want to check MSI's Web site and see the reasons for that BIOS update,which includes something about memory compatibility and E8400 processor.

Do you intend to install your chipset drivers from MSI or NVIDIA's Web site?

I am seriously considering that board along with the Abit IX38 Quad GT. Review here:
    http://www.overclockersclub.com/reviews/abit_ix38_quadgt/

19. Zareph

Zareph Ancient Guru

GPU:
    I don't know how many fan headers it has / can be sensed, but it probably has all you need. It is based on the newer mid-range 750i chipset, after all.
    And I intend to install chipset drivers from whatever website has the newest drivers.

Also, I think the X38 is a tad more expensive? For a cool solution where you don't need to overclock, I doubt it'll be worth it.

About Nvidia vs Intel?
    It all depends. At the moment, with the Nvidia 7-series motherboards, I'd prefer an Nvidia over Intel.
    It all depends on your own needs, but as far as I can see, the motherboard I'm getting might suit yours too.

20. JVM

JVM Active Member

GPU:
    The 750i chipset is no longer considered new, the 780i is, I believe, the newest.

I read another review on the Abit IX38 Quad that said the board's PWM gets warm and not recommended for those seeking a quiet system.

I may reconsider the Abit IP-35 Pro, which is not PCI-E 2.0, but seems like X-38 boards have increased heat temps compared to the P-35 boards. As for the MSI. I need to find more reviews, as I did with the Abit, and I will.