9600 GT folding

Discussion in 'Folding@Home - Join Team Guru3D !' started by Romiz, Nov 21, 2009.

1. Romiz

Romiz Guest

Till Nvidia releases the new 3xx line holding off getting a new PC. But till it gets here ordered a MSI 9600 GT. Question is will I see a doubling of folding even with a 9600. At this time weak XFX 8600 GT XXX is folding at 1100 to 1500 PPD depending on the project. Number look lower since PC is also gaming PC and some days only fold for 16 hours.

Thank if anyone has the 9600 GT.

2. MM10X

MM10X Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Vega 56
    with my 9600GSO 512mb, i'm getting around 3,000 PPD on it...

3. yoyo69

yoyo69 Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX670 Sli
    A 9600Gt should give around 3500-3800 PPD..

4. Romiz

Romiz Guest

If all goes well we will be in a ppd battle =), Picked this MSI card since it has DVI, VGA and HDMI ports. Plus is needs no extra power beyond the PCI-E connection. If all goes will keep this card and more to new PC when get it. Just to fold since not sure if future game on DX11 will need a devoted PhysX card. All depends on how well the new NVidia 3xx killer cards are priced next year.

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 22, 2009

5. MM10X

MM10X Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Vega 56
    haha, well once i replace my current build the E8500 will be folding also...

and apparently newegg posted this wrong, its actually a 48sp 9600GSO... :bang:

6. Romiz

Romiz Guest

Well just installed the new card and getting 3180 PPD noted in fahmon. And that is with the cards stock settings. (Clock 600 MHz Shader 1500 MHz and memory 1800 MHz) The card only take power off the PCI-E 16 rail so hate to push it much higher.

But I now going to run stress test to see if stay within PSU limits :)

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 25, 2009
  7. ra_alfaomega

ra_alfaomega Member Guru

GPU:
    Gtx1070 MSI Gaming X
    Good luck with your new card, Romiz. And hopefully your sister is going to get better. :)

8. Romiz

Romiz Guest

Well she has a 50/50 to make it five years and 70/30 for 10 years. But who knows if it comes back in a few years maybe a cure will be in place. F@H project is one that could very well do that. :)

To be bad I also have personal interest since could also cure my disease. Although it is more a gene therapy cure Jerry Lewis Foundation is looking at.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 26, 2009
  9. ra_alfaomega

ra_alfaomega Member Guru

GPU:
    Gtx1070 MSI Gaming X
    Right now nobody in my family has a disease,but still I want to help others that are waiting for some results from F@H. Maybe I don't trust so much this project,I have my doubts but it's the only chance we've got right now. And with the technology that is going to develop even further our gpu's will fold much faster,so eventually a cure for you and your sister will come( let's say in maximum 3 years) :)