9600 GSO Questions

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by AROTH, Feb 20, 2009.

1. AROTH

AROTH New Member

GPU:
    PNY Nvidia 9600 GSO 768
    Hi,

New here so I hope I am in the correct section of the forum.

I did not see any similar issues like mine so I am posting a few questions in case someone else has had a similar problem or may have a solution.

I recently installed a new PNY Nvidia 9600 GSO 768mb graphics card to replace my old and basic Dell-installed ATI 300. The card works great as my games all are playing very well as compared to the past. I have no problem with the card's functioning.

However, I absolutely cannot bring up the Nvidia Control Panel selection. I can click on the Nvidia icon in the lower right screen task bar and bring up a small window that offers me basic settings such as screen resolution, color, rotation, etc., and make changes on these settings. There is a selection for bringing up the NVidia Control Panel near the very bottom of the window, however, selecting it only causes the cursor to show an hourglass for split second before returning to a cursor. Also, going directly into the Windows Control Panel, I can locate an Nvidia Control Panel icon there, but selecting that produces the same effect - nothing.

I have been in contact with the PNY tech support over the past week, and they have been very helpful in attempting to offer possible solutions, however, the turnaround has been very slow as it takes awhile to get a response and get back to them with the results, etc.

So far, I have attempted, several times, the following steps, suggestions from PNY:

Uninstalling and re-installing all drivers, either from the card's enclosed CD or the Nvidia website.

Installing a Driver Cleanup program prior to any reinstallation.

Disabling all programs from the Windows Startup tab prior to reinstallation.

Again, no issues with the card's performance - I just want to be able to bring up the Control Panel for it.

Any thoughts or ideas on why it may not be showing up?

Thanks for listening. :confused:

2. snip3r_3

snip3r_3 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Are you using Windows XP 32bit? SP2/3?
    Which driver sets have you tried?
    Did you Uninstall the drivers first through the Control Panel, then reboot, and then install new drivers?
    Try scanning for viruses and spyware?
    Made sure your firewall is not blocking the NVCP?
    Installed the latest motherboard chipset/RAID drivers?

Last option, maybe reinstall windows?

3. AROTH

AROTH New Member

GPU:
    PNY Nvidia 9600 GSO 768
    Hi, snip3r_3,

Thanks for your reply. In response to your questions:

Are you using Windows XP 32bit? SP2/3?
    Which driver sets have you tried?
    Did you Uninstall the drivers first through the Control Panel, then reboot, and then install new drivers?
    Try scanning for viruses and spyware?
    Made sure your firewall is not blocking the NVCP?
    Installed the latest motherboard chipset/RAID drivers?

Last option, maybe reinstall windows?

XP 32bit SP3
    175.16 from the CD, 181.22 from Nvidia, 182.05 from this site
    Yes, on uninstalling, rebooting and new installs
    Yes, on scanning
    Firewall was disabled

Now we are getting into scary territory...I am not that computer savvy.

No, on the motherboard chipset/RAID drivers (that is a foreign language to me)
    Reinstall Windows - is that like starting over from scratch with a clean slate?

I guess that I do not understand why the enclosed CD with the graphics card (or, for that matter, the new driver downloads) would go thru the install process, improve my game play, and include the Nvidia Control Panel icon/selections, but not allow them to display.

I suppose a good question would be - is there anything drastically worthwhile in the Control Panel that would benefit me?

Sorry to be so longwinded.

Thanks.

4. snip3r_3

snip3r_3 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Well, there is the option of using Rivatuner for most of your 3D settings/changes, but I agree that its still good to have the CP sometimes, such as setting up monitors/TV, video colors, etc. It may not be useful now or in the future even, but still this is a problem.

I believe you may have a conflict between software on your system, which is why the CP is not opening. I suggest reinstalling when you can, especially if you upgraded components throughout the course of your installation. You can also try the "Repair" Windows feature, it sometimes solves problems, but its not recommended. If reinstalling is too much of a hassle, then the CP is probably not worth it.

The chipset/RAID drivers depend on what your motherboard is. Intel chipsets, you can just install the Intel INF drivers found on Intel's own site, and if you are using RAID, then install the Matrix Storage program. If you don't know what RAID is, most likely your computer is not using it. If you do not know what chipset your motherboard is running, you can check using CPU-Z, which is a small program you can download off the net. After you find it, search for the company that makes it (for C2D, its probably either Nvidia or Intel itself), and the appropriate driver.

5. honestjohn

honestjohn Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI Hawk HD 5770 @ 1010C
    Try it this way and in this specific order ...

1. Uninstall your Nvidia Driver and Nvidia PhysX using Nvidia's own uninstall utilities.

2. Change your Video Driver to the Standard VGA Driver as I've noticed from time to time if you don't Windows may keep some of the Nvidia files around even if using a Cleaning utility.

3. Restart in Safe Mode

4. Run DriverSweeper or DriverCleaner to uninstall any left over driver files or registry entries.

http://www.guru3d.com/category/driversweeper/

Haven't tried the new Driver Sweeper Beta 2.0 yet, but here's a link ...

http://downloads.guru3d.com/Driver-Sweeper-beta-2.0.0-download-2186.html

5. Next, restart normally and install the latest driver version for your card which will include the PhysX Engine.

6. AROTH

AROTH New Member

GPU:
    PNY Nvidia 9600 GSO 768
    Thanks guys,

I will attempt to do these procedures and let you know what happens.

7. AROTH

AROTH New Member

GPU:
    PNY Nvidia 9600 GSO 768
    Hi honestjohn,

Well, still no success. I followed your steps and I get the same results, Gameplay is great, but No Nvidia Control Panel, just the icons/tabs for it. One thing I did notice during all of my previous re-installs and this one, is that the first time I attempt to launch the Control Panel after re-booting, a window does show up on the desktop labeled "Nvidia Control Panel View Selection", giving me the option of either Standard or Advanced settings. After making my choices (I have tried both) the window disappears and nothing ever happens after that.