939 or AM2

Discussion in 'Consoles & console games' started by JackEmoCore, Jul 16, 2006.

1. JackEmoCore

JackEmoCore Active Member

GPU:
    XFX 7600GT XXX
    Would it not be better just to get a 939 now as the am2 would cripple my ide hdd drive... and when the am3 products come out along with DDR3... get them?

2. JimmyFox

JimmyFox Master Guru

GPU:
    2x ATi Radeon HD4830 CF
    DDR2 is not cheaper. Unless you mean those crappy DDR2 533 which are slower than DDR1.

You need at least low-latency 667 or better DDR2 800 to have a (minimal) performance advantage.

3. guardz

guardz Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX GTS250 1G OC
    Yeah good idea, I was gonna go AM2 but got scared off from a few bad write ups in the local mags. Seems they arent all they were meant to be atm. :(

4. JackEmoCore

GPU:
    XFX 7600GT XXX
    WEll im only planning to play games such as World of Warcraft and GTA:SA and UT04 and counter strike etc.. and 939 seems the best way as far as reviews are concerned has am2 has no substantial status as being a better performer than 939 and it wouldnt cripple my hdd and i an afford a OCZ psu then? is this the best way to go? thanks

5. Freedom Eclipse

Freedom Eclipse Maha Guru

GPU:
    2x MSI GTX 970
    Ive seen a lot of "clock for clock" benchmarks & they all show that a 939 is faster clock for clok then the AM2 even if it id running DDR2

6. guardz

guardz Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX GTS250 1G OC
    939 for KING! :D

7. JackEmoCore

GPU:
    XFX 7600GT XXX
    i was just thinking lets say ive got the cash for both sockets with overall would suit me best for gaming for the next 12 months?

8. jststojc

jststojc Maha Guru

GPU:
    gigabyte gtx285
    im still saying you the conroe will fit best for gaming

9. JackEmoCore

GPU:
    XFX 7600GT XXX
    but i cant afford conroe so its between the 939 and am2

10. guardz

guardz Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX GTS250 1G OC
    From http://www.anandtech.com/tradeshows/showdoc.aspx?i=2713&p=5

" Also keep in mind that we are over six months away from the actual launch of Conroe, performance can go up from where it is today. We also only looked at the 2.66GHz part, the Extreme Edition version of Conroe will most likely be clocked around 3.0GHz which will extend the performance advantage even further.

AMD still does have some time to surprise us with AM2
    ..."

6 months!!! Do you know how much things change in six months? Heaps bro! and that write up did compare it to a dual core in gaming, and its well known at this point in time the games running now with dual core have no or even less grunt than single cores!!

AM2 at this point in time looks like it doesnt compare with the 'mighty' 939/940. So ..... you may want to consider a good AMD64 cpu or even an Optron.

6 months is a long time in the pc world.

11. JackEmoCore

GPU:
    XFX 7600GT XXX
    so your saying my best bet is to go with a 939? and what exactly does nForce4 do? thanks

12. rpg711

rpg711 Guest

what do u mean? its a nvidia chipset... it does wat chipsets do

13. JackEmoCore

GPU:
    XFX 7600GT XXX
    ah right... 939 has nf4 and am2 has nf590 which is betteR?

14. QuadCannons

QuadCannons Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce 210
    NF590 is better, try reading the review posted on the front page of Guru3D.com
    Lots of nice helpful overclocking features and SLI RAM, or something like that. Supposed to open the way for massive system improvements via tweaking.

15. MrJelle

MrJelle New Member

GPU:
    MSI X1300 PRO 256MB
    If you decide to go for a S939, I did the same, I have a motherboard I've yet to have a single complaint about, the ASUS A8N-E (also exists in a SLI version) (Specs) which, so I've heard, is good / great for overclocking.

16. guardz

guardz Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX GTS250 1G OC
    Well the first parts bullocks ^, the second part.. for future proofing isnt so much bullocks. ;)
    But.. on saying that, AM2 is the way AMD are gonna go in the future, theres no hiding it, but as of NOW AM2 just anit cutting it compared to X2 64 or 64 939/40 sockets! Fact! I dont care what the money hungry media world say, as theyre only scratching each others backs, AM2 and the newer NF500 isn't up to what X2/64 and the now NF4 is! Don't get sucked in! Wait, see how it pans out and how AMD fine tune this AM2/NF500 series cause our testing here of these just isnt cutting the mustard.
    You want a good rock solid combo now and until your next upgrade, go X2 64 939/940 or 64 939 socket. Trust me.
    Saying that..we are in interesting times.

17. brewskee78

brewskee78 Member Guru

GPU:
    Msi 7600GT 256MB w/ ViVo
    well a simple way around that is to get a IDE controller card... fits into your pci slot and bam... a simple solution until you can get a sata drive. prices go from 12-50+ usd... dependin on the brand and features and what not...

18. rpg711

rpg711 Guest

well... if ur getting an ide controller... try getting one with raid functionality too... ull benefit from it if u get two hdds.. and when u do... trash the ide... its just sitting there... slowing down

19. JackEmoCore

GPU:
    XFX 7600GT XXX
    i just finally ordered the 939 option... and thinking ill make my next big ugrade when the am3 comes out.. is this a good idea?

20. brewskee78

brewskee78 Member Guru

GPU:
    Msi 7600GT 256MB w/ ViVo
    Me too should be in by morning...