91.31 Glitches with 7800GT SLI

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by MisterBenn, Jul 17, 2006.

1. MisterBenn

MisterBenn New Member

GPU:
    XFX ATI Radeon 6950
    Hi all,

Hopefully you chaps can shed some light on my problem. I am running 2x7800GT in an SLI configuration. Stock speeds, and was running happily with one of the later 8x.xx drivers. Since upgrading to version 91.31, I have two issues:

1) I have green speckles corrupting my image quality. Where they appear depends upon what is being shown... but I generally have a scattering of them over the whole screen, and they flicker lighter and darker green at high speed! It seems to mainly affect textures - for example the entire floor in Titan Quest can become speckly (and some areas of the game are worse than others) and even just 2d items such as the "Stage Complete" message in Stepmania have the same green dots scattered around its edges. Very strange!

2) Performance seems to be more "stuttery" than before. I am talking mainly from my experience of Titan Quest after upgrading drivers - although this specific game suffers from (video) bugs anyway so the game could well have some specific issue that is not related to the drivers. However these troubles were not present with my 8x driver before.

I definitely followed the "clean driver installation" procedures that you guys have on the site (safe mode / driver cleaner etc) and more than once without altering this situation.

Also: I am running in SLI mode, and use the nHancer utility to maintain my program specific profiles. I generally run in "AFR2" mode for the extra performance (it made a big difference for me with my old drivers) but have disabling that to no avail.

So do you guys have experience of the specific problem? I am attracted to upgrading since so many people seem to be getting performance out of them! I could revert to my old drivers but I'm going to need to upgrade at some point to stay current!

Please let me know if I am doing something wrong - failing that anything to point me in the right direction would be great!

2. Copey

Copey Ancient Guru

GPU:
    960 2GB
    i have problems with my set-up when using the 91.31 drivers, to you have oblivion if so have a look in the windows , you see a trend??? supposedlt the 91.33's fix a few SLI issues , but i aint tried them yet

3. S_Kinton

S_Kinton Ancient Guru

GPU:
    512mb 8800GT & 22" Samsung LCD
    Im running an identical sli configuration - 2x 7800GTs and I have not had a single problem with either the 91.31 or 91.33 drivers, both worth without a single glitch!

You seem to be doing everything right with regards to driver uninstall/install so it seems strange that you are getting this

4. Cycloid

Cycloid Master Guru

GPU:
    2x256MB Geforce 7800GTs in SLi
    I have similar problems... only I get green and red dots in games Movies, as in BINK/SMACKER/MPEG type... not the engine versions.

I did however notice that running games that do not natively support AA one gets this border around them which changes colour based on the scene. The border runs from top left to right and top left to bottom.

Must however mention I am on x64 versions of the drivers to my OS being XP x64!

5. MisterBenn

MisterBenn New Member

GPU:
    XFX ATI Radeon 6950
    Hmmm. Thanks for the comments - I have a few things to go on now. I'm particularly interested, S_Kinton, that you get by happily with a similar setup to mine. It makes me think that there's still something on my side causing this.

I figure I need to do some more testing. I'm going to uninstall my nVidia utilities as well as drivers (e.g. nHancer, which attempts to launch even in safe mode, prompts for restoring of profiles as soon as the installation is complete, etc) and make sure there's nothing lying around which might get in the way of completely removing the drivers. Also I'll try 91.31, 91.33 and also my old 84.43 just to make sure reverting to a series 80 driver removes the problem.

I'm sure I'll get to the bottom of it!

6. Shug

Shug Member

GPU:
    Ati 6870
    Well I have 2x7600 gt in sli i get the same thing green specs.
    With any of the 91. drivers.
    So i stick with 84.56 with no problems at all

7. Copey

Copey Ancient Guru

GPU:
    960 2GB
    do you suffer form any problems in oblivion with the 91.31's , particualary in the windows???

BTW: wot 3dmark05 scores you getting with your set-up???

8. Shug

Shug Member

GPU:
    Ati 6870
  9. MisterBenn

MisterBenn New Member

GPU:
    XFX ATI Radeon 6950
    Hi all,

OK, I have an update!

Firstly - can I say that my setup is dual 7600GTs, and not 7800GTs!!! I don't know what I was thinking yesterday... posting from work with other things on my mind - and maybe a bit of wishful thinking! The rest of my post is valid though...

So I removed the nHancer util and swapped some drivers in and out... and here are the results:

(note that all driver changes were definitely performed via the disconnect from internet / safe mode / cab cleaner / driver cleaner route, following this forum's guide to the letter)

91.31 and also 91.33 - Green (and very occasionally red) speckly corruption around the screen in 3D applications.

84.43 - immediately the problem is fixed!

So I investigate further... and I can tell you that without a doubt that for the 91.33 driver, I can remove the graphical issues by having the SLI mode set as "SLI-Single GPU". As soon as I choose "SLI-Split frame rendering", "SLI-Alternate Frame Rendering" or even "Alternate Frame Rendering - second method" (i.e. AFR2), then the problem instantly reappears! I can even alt-tab from game to control panel, and make the problem come and go by tweaking this option!!!

My nVidia nForce 4 motherboard drivers are up to date, I have every Windows SP2 update going, I reinstalled DirectX 9.0c to be sure, and also have the latest drivers for my Audigy 2 card. I'm not sure what else I could do to improve my chances of getting the series 90 drivers running!

So predictably, I am back on the 84.43 drivers and have AFR2 as my global profile, and all my apps are behaving again and performing as well as they used to. I can run like this for the time being, but presumably I will have problems in future when some unknown game is released and needs a series 90 driver to function properly! I'm sure it's only a matter of time.

So I throw it out to the group again: what do you all think is going on here? It seems to be a fairly major issue to be having, and my setup is pretty standard...

Last edited: Jul 18, 2006
  10. R0B

R0B New Member

GPU:
    Asus8800GTX 652/1584/2012
    I've got exactly the same problems with my two Asus 7800GTX in SLI mode conected to a Samsung 32" TV-LCD. Going back to 80.xx drivers series and all works fine again. Nvidia, What's the matter with you??? ...It's a very irritating situation.I've tried all possible to find a solution and nothing works.:puke2:

Sorry for my poor english and best regards from spain...Rob:)

11. Copey

Copey Ancient Guru

GPU:
    960 2GB

not bad, unfortunatly i cant test 06 properly as my screen only goes up to 1024 x 768(yes i plan on buying a new one) but at that resolution in 06 i got 6,800

it seems that the new drivers (91.XX) have serious issues with 7600GT's in SLI, i have random crashes all-sorts , as soon as i go back to the 84.21's everythings fine, guess we will have to see wot nvidia do with thier next official driver release

12. Shug

Shug Member

GPU:
    Ati 6870
    Yep same here random crashes for no reason

13. Cycloid

Cycloid Master Guru

GPU:
    2x256MB Geforce 7800GTs in SLi

Install a Monitor driver that supports the higher resolution and then after clicking the Run button in 3dmark06 just turn off the screen and go do something else for 10-15mins.

After you turn it back on (given that the tests finished) you should see your score!

14. MisterBenn

MisterBenn New Member

GPU:
    XFX ATI Radeon 6950
    Well - it does seem that my troubles are over. Things are definitely running as they should again now that I have reverted.

So I'll stick with 80.xx unti I hear that this SLI issue has been ironed out. I guess that SLI setups are not nVidia's first concern when they put out drivers... hardly ideal (I don't really think that SLI systems are that rare) but I'm sure it will get fixed soon enough.

Thanks again for all the input.

15. mobius0

mobius0 Active Member

GPU:
    8800 gts 320mb
    Its not just the 7 series this driver affects my 6800LE with the same green and mixed up colors for videos. Also have problems with decoding DVDs on wmp don't know if thats also caused by the driver though. Also the messed up colors are only messed up for wmp. Tried using VLC, realplayer, and media player classic and they all worked fine.