90% Successful Upgrade to Quadro 3700M

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by 3DTraveller, Sep 17, 2017.

1. 3DTraveller

3DTraveller New Member

GPU:
    Nvidia 8800M GTS
    Nine or ten years ago HP produced a unique laptop, the HP HDX Pavilion 9000 series, also known as the Dragon. It has a 20.1 inch HD display that is fully articulated, amazing speakers, and a great keyboard. The only thing that hampered it was the Nvidia 8800M GTS card which is somewhat underpowered, and has a tendency to fail after three years or so, usually due to heat.

After many unsuccessful attempts to upgrade the MXM card, a very capable technician figured out that the LVDS cables were inverted relative to the typical laptop layout. As a result he installed an Nvidia Quadro 3700M into the Dragon, and it works. It processes video as it should, but there is one anomaly… The WUXGA screen, which is an 8-bit screen, appears dimmer, or less intense than it should, giving the screen a dull appearance.

No manipulation of any Nvidia tool seems to have any impact, and the best theory the technician came up with, based on logs, is that the card is outputting to 6-bit rather than 8-bit as the display requires.

There is a laptop guru/modder in South Korea who knows how to change the bit output on this card, but I cannot reach him due to a language barrier related to the forum he is on. (Google Translator is inadequate for the task.) Moreover, this may not be the reason that the display is dimmer with this card. I would appreciate any help from anybody with a real knowledge of Nvidia and these laptops.

Solving this would breathe new life into these machines.

2. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 660gtx sig2
    why are you holding on to 10 year old laptop, even if expensive as google says it is , sticking replacing the gpu in to isnt gona really give much more powered

3. 3DTraveller

3DTraveller New Member

GPU:
    Nvidia 8800M GTS
    If you saw and used this laptop you'd understand. I'm a writer, and the screen is amazing for a portable machine, with the ability to move the screen closer to you or away, tilt, etc. The keyboard is expansive, much bigger than most laptops, and the speakers are amazing. Other users of this machine love theirs and are still using them.

A 3700M is considerably more powerful, and more importantly is a more stable card. So many 8800M GTS cards fail, that it's like waiting for disaster.

I already purchased a 3700M and I would be grateful for some technical help.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2017
  4. airbud7

airbud7 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RX 480 ARMOR 4G OC
    does it look like this one?

[​IMG]

If so then I think it looks cool!

led? probably not and that's why its dim....just a guess though?

5. 3DTraveller

3DTraveller New Member

GPU:
    Nvidia 8800M GTS
    Yes, that's it, and it's even cooler looking in person. Normally, the screen is quite bright, as it is lit with two CCFL lamps rather than one. The problem occurs with the 3700M installed, with the card operating completely normally according to spec, except for this dim screen effect.

6. cryohellinc

cryohellinc Master Guru

GPU:
    1080Ti SeaHawkX@2k+PG348Q
    Perhaps it needs more "juice" in terms of power?

7. Hammie

Hammie Master Guru

GPU:
    760 SMG 28" 1ms 3840x2160
    Time for a new laptop or a tablet... gl

8. 3DTraveller

3DTraveller New Member

GPU:
    Nvidia 8800M GTS
    Nope. It's getting all the juice it needs.

Given the fact that the upgrade is nearly there, I have the card, and I love the machine, I hope someone can figure this out.

I would rather have a portable 20 inch laptop for my writing than a smaller, myopia inducing ultrabook.

9. 3DTraveller

3DTraveller New Member

GPU:
    Nvidia 8800M GTS
    I was hoping, since this is where video/gpu/Nvidia experts hang out that someone would have some ideas...

10. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1080Ti H20
    Is the vbios the latest?

You may try posting on win-raid.com