9.5's Available on ATI's Server

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by flyover, May 15, 2009.

1. CPC_RedDawn

CPC_RedDawn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY RTX4090
    Southbridge drivers? These for one should already be installed on W7 and if not just go to your motherboard manufactuers website and you will be able to download them there. They are chipset drivers and they should install ALL drivers for North and Southbridge chipsets.

other than that you should have a CD that comes with your motherboard simply install the software off that CD.

2. zer0_c0ol

zer0_c0ol Ancient Guru

GPU:
    FuryX cf
    still no drivers on amd website

3. rflair

rflair Don Coleus Staff Member

GPU:
    5700XT
    You have to wonder if it being a holiday in Toronto Canada, where ATI is headquartered that the drivers official release will be delayed till tomorrow or if AMD California is handling it will they come out today.

4. putnick

putnick New Member

GPU:
    ATI 4890
    These drivers can be installed in Ati 4890?

And these are official drivers or not?

thanks

5. rflair

rflair Don Coleus Staff Member

GPU:
    5700XT
  6. enoch

enoch Banned

GPU:
    Powercolor HD4870
    You're right.I'm not flaming.Sorry if you take it that way.

I didn't imply that they are so, not sure why you needed to add that bit?

And how do you know they are designed that way?That's what I'd like to know.People can say the world is flat but, that doesn't make it true.

Either way.If you want to make sure you get the install right the first time, then there's no reason to neglect the add/remove step.Is there?

7. enoch

enoch Banned

GPU:
    Powercolor HD4870
    Look, here's a post from ATI's forum on the correct procedure to update drivers.
    http://forums.amd.com/game/messageview.cfm?catid=279&threadid=112372&enterthread=y

Here's a key quote from the post:
    "Think about how much easier would be if ATi uninstaller was able to delete any ati leftovers from windows OS... and save 1 hour to all of us.

Yesterday i tried 9.3, 9.2 and 9.1 - they all leave ati files in system32\drivers
    i don't want to reinstall my OS just because ATi uninstaller is bad - that's why i returned my ATi card."

Here's ATI/AMD's instructions on updating drivers:
    http://support.amd.com/us/kbarticles/Pages/737-20870HowtoInstallYourATIProduct.aspx

Like I said, I just want people to stop spreading misinformation, with no grounds to back it up.I'm not flaming anyone.

8. RejZoR

RejZoR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire HD4870 Silent
    Weren't 9.5 suppose to be released yesterday (officially)?

@enoch
    There is absolutely no need to uninstall Catalyst drivers before you install new ones.
    Haven't done that for years. I just install over and never had a single issue.
    But i stick to WHQL drivers only. I've always had nothing but trouble with beta Cat's (always some INF missing during install). In fact AMD introduced new feature that doesn't require system reboot after you update graphic drivers. Works like charm.

9. enoch

enoch Banned

GPU:
    Powercolor HD4870
    I think someone said 9.5's postponed till Tuesday.

If there's "absolutely no need to uninstall Catalyst drivers before you install new ones." Then why does ATI and AMD sites contradict that statement?

All I'm asking is someone show proof how they know the design of ATI's installer and backup their statements.Apparently,that's too much to ask.

And only for windows 7 they don't require reboot?

Last edited: May 19, 2009
  10. RejZoR

RejZoR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire HD4870 Silent
    You're not understanding that document correctly.
    It's just stating that you have to "Uninstall any legacy ATI or other display drivers (where applicable)".

This means that you have to first uninstall any legacy drivers (these are the ones that come with Windows or Windows Update) or any other drivers (presumably from other vendors like NVIDIA ForceWare).
    They mostly state that when you install Radeon graphic card into the system for the first time. I see no reason to do that every time new Cat's are released if AMD implemented new feature to make updating faster and easier.
    Would make no sense at all.
    If it worked for me, i'm sure it will work just the same for you.
    Just install the drivers over. Catalyst Installer replaces and updates files that need that.

11. enoch

enoch Banned

GPU:
    Powercolor HD4870
    Ok,I'm not going to argue about it.Just show me some proof to backup what you're saying.Or even an explanation why you feel it's necessary to skip the uninstall step that takes a whole 3-5 minutes.

Or don't bother trying to convince me otherwise.

12. RejZoR

RejZoR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire HD4870 Silent
    Um, isn't at least 24 driver updates with such method without any problems enough of a proof (thats 2 years of Cat updates)? But hey, if you don't want to listen then keep on uninstalling them each month lol.

13. enoch

enoch Banned

GPU:
    Powercolor HD4870
    No,it's not.Which is the whole point of my statements.I'd rather not take the word of anyone on these forums over ATI's/AMD's in regard to this.Unless they can show me solid proof why they neglect the uninstall step or why it's unnecessary.

I will keep doing it the way ATI recommends,thank you.You make it sound like uninstalling them would be a horrible thing to do.I think it comes down to being lazy or ignorant, since noone can give any other explanation.

14. KillerSneak

KillerSneak Banned

GPU:
    2x HD 3870's CrossFireX
    ATi have screwed up major with this CIM **** in fact the really aint no need at all for this program. The INF file handles the files in use overwrite CIM doesn't do anything but cause install / uninstall problems expecially when using the CIM from the package you downloaded (in the driver package) instead of the one in \Program Files\ ATi is stupid enough to have CIM placed there but it doesn't get updated untill you select to install it from the CIM that ships with the driver.

The CIM is all but a big hoax / bloat ware / advertisement program it just shows the LACK of skills @ ATi's sit to come with a normal simple installer (nVidia)

15. KillerSneak

KillerSneak Banned

GPU:
    2x HD 3870's CrossFireX
    You should always Uninstall before installing:

1. - Registry get's cleaned the right way a good example is the 8.612 beta that had no version string, people installed it and the CCC showed Catalyst 9.4 or 9.3 because the string didn't get deleted and they installed ontop of 9.4 / 9.3

2. - CIM another major screw up from ATi. CIM can still cause problems as you will have 2 versions on your system. 1 in the driver package you download / 1 version @ Program Files\ATi
    * Activating uninstall from the package will not use the CIM in program Files
    * Drivers should always be uninstall from Programs and features as this will use the correct CIM version

16. RejZoR

RejZoR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire HD4870 Silent
    All i can say is lol. Then why are you asking if you're not willing to listen to anything else? Go bother AMD then lol.

@KillerSneak, WHQL is one thing, beta is another. And ppl should be aware that beta means you're installing it on your own risk.

17. WhiteLightning

WhiteLightning Don Illuminati Staff Member

GPU:
    Inno3d RTX4070
    i guess the myth has been busted

[​IMG]

18. enoch

enoch Banned

GPU:
    Powercolor HD4870
    You're right.I'm not willing to listen to anyone who can't backup what they say.

I've shown evidence to support what I'm saying other than my word on it.If you can't do the same then don't bother.

When someone has a problem with catalyst drivers not working correctly, do they just install them again over the top or do they uninstall first?

19. KillerSneak

KillerSneak Banned

GPU:
    2x HD 3870's CrossFireX
    So is keeping this ontopic not? Who's talking about WHQL non WHQL here? I was just giving/sharing my toughts/knowledge about the Install / Uninstall procedures.

And stated that CIM is a piece of usless bloatware. The drivers can be install with the MSI files with no problems at all with some modding. If ATi would care about it's customers / consumers they would get rid of CIM or enabled the automatic update function (not talking about the Install / Uninstall buttons but a true update button with online update function)

20. Rich_Guy

Rich_Guy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2070S X-Trio
    All i do now is go to Add/Remove, run the Cat. ATi Install Manager, and select uninstall everything, then after it restarts, i install the latest drivers, never had a prob.

I used to do the whole remove driver, remove CCC, reboot and run Driver Sweeper in safe-mode, then install the latest, but i realised no point doing all that when the above method works fine.