9.3's are up

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by m.3ck, Mar 18, 2009.

1. bart5986

bart5986 Member Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 290x OC
    yes:banana::banana::banana:

2. MadGizmo

MadGizmo Guest

GPU:
    MSI R9 290X 8GB 2560*1440
    I have a bunch of profiles too. I just install the new drivers on top of the old ones and that won't delete your old profiles. Works for me.

After the install you have to enable the overdrive in CCC and your profiles will work again.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2009
  3. giangy11

giangy11 New Member

GPU:
    hd3650
    in win7 ati powerXpress doesn't work again with 9.3
    i've amd puma platform on my laptop, with hd3200 and hd3650
    with powerXpress i can switch from one card to another, hd3200 when on battery and hd3650 for maximize performance

in Vista it works well also with 9.3 drivers, but in win7 it doesn't work:bang:
    After driver installation hd3650 disappear on device manager and if i click on powerXpress button nothing change

as you can see on this pic, on vista device manager shows both vga and powerXpress works fine, in win7 not.
    [​IMG]

4. capunk

capunk New Member

GPU:
    Gigabyte ATI 4870 1GB
    Hello guys, I'm new here.

Just want to report my findings about this driver.
    1. After clean re-install from 9.2 (uninstall then safe mode, then driver sweeper),
    9.3 installer got problems detecting my graphic cards, so I end up re-download the new driver from amd.com - yet the problem persist.

2. After force shutdown my system, and restarting back... the driver now continue as normal... until "You don't have sufficient disc storage left" message pop up, then I click "continue" - installation complete with Failure log.

3. Everything fine now, I can access CCC and seems everything fine.

So I was wondering, what happen?

oh forgot to mention my rig: Vista X64, ATI 4870 1GB...

5. MadGizmo

MadGizmo Guest

GPU:
    Why did you use DriverSweeper to uninstall your last drivers first? Installing it on top of the old ones should work fine.

6. capunk

capunk New Member

GPU:
    Gigabyte ATI 4870 1GB
    I don't know, I thought a clean uninstall is necessary when installing new driver?

7. Fightback

Fightback Member

GPU:
    Ati Saphire 4870 512ddr5
    same performance as in 9.2 in crysis warhead.

only thing that i found out WARHEAD blank screen fix. disable another screen..

8. MadGizmo

MadGizmo Guest

GPU:
    I tried that too. But it turns out that often it causes more trouble than it's worth. Nowadays I just install on top of the old ones. I have less problems with that. I think DriverSweeper is fine if you are changing cards, though.

9. Bluedog

Bluedog Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI N680GTX TF 2GD5/OC
    So far since release these drivers have proven to be good on my setup. Fixing the Call of Duty World at War flickering water is a big plus. The only issue that I've seen and with previous drivers is that the Catalyst A.I. still has to be Disabled for Crysis Warhead 64 bit DX10 to load the levels.

10. j2.Nocturne

j2.Nocturne Member

GPU:
    eVGA 780TI Classified
    ive been noticing with ai...i have 2 4870x2's for no reason. no games work with it on windows 7 x64.

11. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    Since you obviously don't do a lot of reading on this message board. People in the nVidia section have very similar complaints. If you'd do as has been recommended several hundred times throughout the life of this message board, you wouldn't be having problems. DO NOT uninstall the previous drivers. Install the new drivers overtop of the old drivers. I've been doing this since I got my 4850 (except in cases where my wife visits the wrong website and forces me to reinstall Windows) and I have yet to have the first issue (aside from 9.2 completely destroying my framerates in WoW). Only drivers that it is recommended that you uninstall, is nVidia's....and that process can cause problems on it's own as nVidia's installer doesn't really remove anything.

12. Gucci

Gucci Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 1080Ti
    Word bro, i havent had any troubles at all with all my ATI cards ive had, ive had some nvidia too and they worked cool as well...

I think that the ppl that actually start picking "sides" are the ones loosing the most. I just use this formula: performance plus money equals personal winner...

And right now its HD4870. 9.3 works wonderful for me under Windows 7. I had some troubles with Last Remnant and 9.2 on Windows 7, it constantly game me 10sec freezez :p

But now with the real Windows 7 9.3 driver it doesnt happen any more, plus all my games run better... So im happy... As i almost always are with any graphics card...

What sometimes pisses me of are little kids that have built a PC with their limited knowledge and then **** up something, either in the bios or choosing the wrong RAM for the wrong moterboard and then go ranting about how crappy drivers are. AND the funniest part is that those havving major troubles with their "cards" are the ones that have overclocked their machines a la NOOB style :p

I think that 90% of all users out there having troubles with their "graphics card" actually just have missed something.

Anyways, i recommend 9.3. But i think ppl just need to make up their own mind :p

13. lolabean

lolabean Banned

GPU:

What happened with 9.2 and WoW for you?

I have a 4850 and have updated with each revision from 8.6 or so and play WoW.

I havn't noticed any significant performance difference from one driver to the next. Perhaps that is my error, and I would happily change drivers. But you are saying completely destroying, i would have thought I would have noticed that.

I play at 1920*1200*1 or 2 AA, AF medium to high. With Vsync on, and I rarely see it drop below 60fps(the refresh of my flatscreen). with all the driver revisions, and I do ctrl-r to check quite often.

In a way i would like a benchmark of all the drivers with regards to WoW to know which one will maintain the best performance when things get busy, perhaps I should do it myself, but I am curious as to why you had a significant drop with a driver that didn't seem any better or worst than 8.11/12, 9.1/2/3.

14. giangy11

giangy11 New Member

GPU:
    hd3650
    no one with powerXpress?

15. Hyvry1

Hyvry1 Maha Guru

GPU:
    AMD 7900XTX
    No issue with 9.3. Tested with UT3 so far. Good performance.

16. ares71

ares71 Member

GPU:
    Sapphire HD 4870 512 MB
    You obviously dont do a lot of reading too...
    I wrote: I did absolutely everything; also tried to install the new driver overtop of the old drivers. But without any success.
    And ....my PC is not overclocked...

Last edited: Mar 21, 2009
  17. ares71

ares71 Member

GPU:
    Sapphire HD 4870 512 MB
    NOOB? Maybe. Look, I am not PC guru, I just want my PC to work.
    Like I said before - there is no OC issue.
    It is something with ATI (AMD official) drivers or gaphic card.
    DNA and Xtreme drivers works fine.....

18. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    3DMark06 works good for judging performance in WoW as they're both processor bound applications. I went from getting 120-160fps (8.12hf1, maxed graphics settings) in ALL areas to getting 30-40fps (default graphics settings) with the 9.2 Cats. I'm currently getting 70-100fps (9.3cats, everything but shadows maxed; shadows 1/2) depending on the area population. The only change that was made, was updating to the 9.2 cats. I'm actually looking at replacing my DG31PR with an ATX P45 board and getting an Antec P180 case. Figure with WoW being CPU bound, if I can overclock towards 3.2-3.4ghz, that should help a bit. Also, my SATA controller lacks any real performance...even though it supports SATA3.0gb/s drives, it's performance is no better than with the original SATA harddrives.

This is the case I'm getting....saving $10 and buying it locally...newegg is priced higher than my local supplier for once.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811129154

19. JaxMacFL

JaxMacFL Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Strix 4090 OC
    I tried that 'install the new drivers (9.3) over the old drivers (9.2)' this time. Install went fine and all, but FO3 and GTA4 frame rates were very jerky. Ended up uninstalling the whole works and doing it like I'd always been doing it with driver sweeper. Everything runnin' smooth as butter.

20. blitze

blitze Member Guru

GPU:
    Power Color 4870 1GB PCS+
    Funny thing is I think it has been Windows holding back the power of these cards. Given my experience with Vista and Win 7 with the 4870, I think that we are starting to see how capable this hardware is when the underlying OS gets out of the way.

Performance @ 1920 x 1200 on Windows 7 x64 has been phenominal compared to Vista and this with games that when released would have brought the same system half a year/year ago to it's knees at that res with high quality settings.

I shudder to think of the capabilities our current hardware could bring us if more OS level optimisation was brought to the party but then I remember a decade back a little OS that could do amazing things with media on pre 2000 standard PC hardware that made every other OS blush. It's descendent is still being worked on and it's name has to do with a Japanese Poetry form.

I look forward to seeing what MS can do in the meantime with further Win 7 optimisations and I think the raod ahead for PC gaming is going to be brighter as a result.