1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

8GB RAM with NO PAGEFILE CLUB or TOPIC (lol)

Discussion in 'Operating Systems' started by Mr.Bigtime, Apr 20, 2009.

1. dsbig

dsbig Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 2070
    why does directx say there is still page file usage around 2-3gb same as msi afterburner.

I disabled pagefile and swapfile in windows 8.1

by reading some of your guys conversations about msi burner showing pagefile usage, is it the same reason for directx showing it?

edit:

process explorer shows the usage as commit charge.

the forum I was reading was actually in the afterburner forums.

but come on. this is confusing as hell. like I said directx is showing pagefile usage when its actually the commit charge

process explorer shows 0 usage on pagefile, which is what I want.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2015
  2. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    Pagefile graph in AB is actually the Commit Charge.

I suggested he Unwinder change the Page File label to the proper description ages ago, but he kept the PF title because he assumed average users would not know what the Commit Charge is or what it means.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2015
  3. dsbig

dsbig Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 2070
    nevermind

decided to erase my comments about how well my system ran without the pagefile.

edit:

well guess I need to have pagefile enabled because I was testing crysis 3 at 4k resolution(which by the way was running really great) and trying different AA settings and then windows popped up with warning about memory running out. and game crashed and brought down some windows services with it, because my wallpaper is blue now, and a help box telling what I should do to restart programs.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2015
  4. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    That's because of DX11.2 unified memory adressing support and Tiled Resources.
    Games running in W8.1 can reserve system RAM for GPU paging, the amount reserved (seems?) to directly relate to how much VRAM is available.
    The more VRAM you have the more system memory is reserved.

With 2x 4GB cards 16GB RAM is the min you'd need particularly at 4K. Throw in another 8GB and you should be OK, (or use just one GPU). :)

Edit:
    I thought your GPU had 8GB VRAM not 6GB, so u shouldn't be running out of memory, nor should explorer be affected.
    I see your RAM is overclocked tho, is all of it showing up in Windows? If not then maybe it's going bad.....check and see.

Also is write cache buffer flushing disabled on the system drive?

Last edited: Feb 11, 2015

5. bishi

bishi Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080 SLI
    Hyper-v crashes without a page file unfortunately :(

6. dsbig

dsbig Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 2070

commit charge was maxing out at my system memory

with pagefile enabled the commit charge was able to go higher

Last edited: Jan 27, 2015
  7. TimmyP

TimmyP Master Guru

GPU:
    NV GTX 970 Titan Cooler
    Dying Light is the first game I have ever had to turn on a pagefile for (8gb RAM). I get out of memory errors if I have firefox open at the same time. Oh well, 16gb here I come.

8. Mr.Bigtime

Mr.Bigtime Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 1080TI
    go pls. u wont regret

9. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus RX580 XTR 8GB
    I have it disabled for quite a while now, no problems.

Dying Light ram usage is over 9000mb... :D

10. dsbig

dsbig Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 2070
    16gb isnt enough without pagefile with dying light.

the commit charge hits 16gb for me when playing dying light with total system memory usage at 10gb

I upgraded my system to 32gb with no pagefile and the game runs great.

11. CrazY_Milojko

CrazY_Milojko Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX760 270X GTX970

Jeez! It's just unbeliavle that these days some game can eats so much RAM. I don't have Dying Light but thank God for 24GB RAM I have in this rig for more than 3 years (mostly used for video editing), no pagefile since then and not a single problem with OS, apps and games so far.

12. Dch48

Dch48 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Nitro+ RX 470 4g
    I think you should always keep a small pagefile, even with 8gb of RAM. 512mb-1gb would be sufficient and would avoid any potential problems. I have tried running without a page file before and had issues.

13. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    You might if you had 4x 4GB GPU's.

DX11 can reserve system memory and map it into GPU address space, as mentioned earlier.

14. brunopita

brunopita Banned

GPU:
    MSI Gaming R9 270X 2GB
    I have 8GB and no pagefile. Dying Light runs so well, no crashes, 4 hours of smooth gameplay.

15. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    Damn 9GB that's pretty crazy.

So with 16GB commit charge - 10GB system load we can approximate that 6GB is reserved for GPU addressing, which sounds about right with 6GB total VRAM.

I don't know 100% that system address space reserved for GPU depends on total VRAM, but everything I have seen so far would suggest it.

16. brunopita

brunopita Banned

GPU:
    MSI Gaming R9 270X 2GB
    The amount of shared memory isn't the one Windows shows?

[​IMG]

17. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    Yeah that's what's been available to the GPU since XP at least: dedicated VRAM + half system memory.
    Made sense because neither CPU or GPU could access the other's address space so data had to be copied from RAM to VRAM).

What I'm wondering is if that holds true for DX11.2, if so then it seems drivers are inefficient as GPU can r/w directly to RAM.

Using dsbig as an example, WMM slices off 6GB of system memory for the GPU resulting in 12GB total GPU memory /2 (SLI) = 6GB GPU address space.

^^What this says is unless the driver specifies otherwise, WMM will reserve the maximum space allowed in system memory for the GPU even if the GPU doesn't require it while a game is running.

This is what I'm referring to, admittedly the above could be out-of-date but I'd love to get some clarity on the subject. from someone with more knowledge on D3D and drivers.

18. brunopita

brunopita Banned

GPU:
    MSI Gaming R9 270X 2GB
    I don't know about how drivers work, so I can't help.

The maximum usage for Dying Light here was 6GB RAM + ~2GB VRAM (everything it could fill). But that was a 2 hour run, yesterday I played for 4 hours, discovered much more terrain, don't know if it used more RAM.

19. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    Just thinking out loud really. But I'm going to find out the answer....:)

20. TimmyP

TimmyP Master Guru

GPU:
    NV GTX 970 Titan Cooler
    FYI: Confirmed memory leak with 8gb RAM (even with "system managed" pagefile) for Dying Light. I dont know about 16gb RAM or anything else, but there is a major memory leak.