8GB Memory has any use?

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by ArCElM, May 8, 2012.

1. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    Maximum recommended voltage for DDR3 is 1.57v according to JEDEC.

That's not what the guy is saying.
    He means there is no voltage limitation on ram modules due to the CPU/NB like on Intel CPU's. The ram still has to be able to handle high volts.
    I don't know of any Kingston modules that are spec'd for over 1.65v, only Corsair comes to mind.

There's absolutely no need to run much higher than 1.5v, even 1.65v is unnecessary.

Last edited: May 11, 2012
  2. tweakpower

tweakpower Banned

GPU:
    MSI HD 6770
    Yeah, i know what he says ;). The problem is, some older DDR3 modules are capable (and made for) running at 2.0V. I just wonder, if heat is not a issue (sticks are cold as ice, at 24c ambient temp), is it possible they used old modules and just changed voltage to 1.5V? Because i find it odd for RAM module to be cool at 1.9V (default 1.5V) when i saw modules have problems with heat even at default?

Also, from wiki, about DDR3: "In addition, JEDEC states that memory modules must withstand up to 1.975 volts before incurring permanent damage, although they are not required to function correctly at that level."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DDR3_SDRAM , so maybe it is old type of memory downvolted?

It's way more stable at 1.9V, i still have to dare to run it at 2.0V (BIOS set it red above 1.9V), that's the reason why i do this.

3. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    Well it seems you're going to do what you want, but don't come back complaining when your PC starts blue screening left right and centre...

4. tweakpower

tweakpower Banned

GPU:
    MSI HD 6770
    hahaha :) you are right. Anyway one module i have price = 10 euros, no big deal if they broke. But can you exclude possibility that those modules are made for 2.0V and after Intel's SB they put it at 1.5V (not very stable, prime/mem test stable) and that's the reason why they are so cheap?

I think that is the case, is it possible? What you think?

5. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    What's the part number?

6. tweakpower

tweakpower Banned

GPU:
    MSI HD 6770
    How can i see that, on module (stick)? In CPU-z is "Part Number: E30106A" for both sticks (they are same).

CPU-z SS: http://postimage.org/image/mkl4qq5ox/

7. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    It's some budget brand called Exceleram which I've never heard of, and it's operating voltage is 1.5v.

8. tweakpower

tweakpower Banned

GPU:
    MSI HD 6770
    Yeah, i didn't even know the name of brand, and yeah they say it's 1.5V, but what i find odd is other modules i tested on another rig (including Kingston) have similar thing (ok Kingston is way more stable).

I will test Kingston on my rig in next few hours, and, maybe you or someone should do some tut. about memory, timings etc. for different platforms, it would be nice to have it, based on user expirience. I would be more then happy to do that, but my eng. is very limited, but i can share all information i have (know) if someone wants to do that. Thanks for your time and help, i will go to 2.0V after testing Kingston modules, and will edit this post with results. Cheers.

Edit:Ok, after some testing, even at 2.0V is not perfect stable (667Mhz). Also tested on Phenom II 960T Kingston HyperX 1600Mhz, same thing. It seems that's problem with NB on Athlon II/Phenom II architecture. It is way overclocked or something is wrong with it, I'm quite interested if that is the case on Intel CPU's, can't test it at the moment (don't have any).

Edit1: I blamed AMD for nothing, is looks like it's AMD thin, but problem was nVidia GPU (on all machines), and their stupid tricks with drivers. If there is no such a good support for custom resolutions etc, i would never buy nVidia GPU :)

Last edited: May 12, 2012
  9. TechFreaK

TechFreaK Banned

GPU:
    GeForce GTX570 Custom OC
    DDR2 is rated to 2.4v (1066mhz), my Kingston HyperX is 2.3v (1066mhz) or 1.9v (800mhz), but i could undervolt it to 2.15v (1066mhz), im at 2.25v (1092mhz) atm. :)

Ontopic:

Imo 8Gb is the best ratio for next 1-2years, i couldn't fill more then 5-6gb except in something like photoshop.
    Also made 570mb ramdisk for Firefox cache and its the best thing i ever did :)

[​IMG]