8800GTX - lockups but no indication of the problem

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by Ray Proudfoot, May 25, 2008.

1. Ray Proudfoot

Ray Proudfoot Active Member

GPU:
    Asus Extreme 8800GTX
    I wonder if this is significant. I've checked what voltage should be set for my Ballistix PC8500 RAM. Looking at a few sites 2.2 is mentioned but I have it set to 2.1.

Would that cause these lockup problems despite me not overclocking? I'm currently running with a single stick (the one MemTest reported having 1 error) and after 2 passes it's not reporting any errors even with 2.1 set.

I'll put the other (possibly defective) stick back in and run MemTest with 2.2v set. More later...

2. Ray Proudfoot

GPU:
    Asus Extreme 8800GTX
    Bad news. I increased the voltage to 2.2 and put both stick in and ran MemTest. It reported 31 errors on 1 stick and 6 on the other but more memory was tested than earlier.

I've check the Crucial site and my mobo and memory are definitely compatible. How likely is it that both modules are definitely faulty? I'll reduce the RAM speed in the BIOS to 800 from 1066 and see what difference it makes in MemTest.

3. Performer

Performer Member

GPU:
    260GTX 216 55nm
    Your card is overclocked and thats the reason why she is more sensitive to high temperatures. A card @stock speed should work fine even with temps over 100.
    If your card cant handle temps over 76 even @stock, theres definitely a problem with the Card.

Last edited: May 26, 2008
  4. linyanti

linyanti Master Guru

GPU:
    Zotac 1080 GTX Founders C
    Did you try underclocking and lowest graphic settings?

I searched through the above posts and did not see a mention as to whether you got the failure when the graphics were at minimum.

Of course, these settings would just be for testing purposes and not a satisfactory solution. If there is no failure when it is set low then my suggestion is to turn the clocks down.

I found that when I went to sli the system would always crash even though the video card and other settings were at stock. I got the free download Precision Tune from the EVGA website and turned all the gpu clocks down to the minimum. Since then I have had no problems and all my video settings in games are maxed out. The tuning program can only reduce the clock by twenty percent but that is the perfect part of the power band for me. Torque versus RPM.

5. Ray Proudfoot

GPU:
    Asus Extreme 8800GTX
    Linyanti,

I haven't overcloxked the 8800GTX if that was your question. I won't consider o/c until I have a stable system.

Anyway, I've made some progress. Instead of leaving the memory speeds in the BIOS to Auto I changed them to 5-5-5-15 and set voltage to 1.8. I ran MemTest with both modules. It only reported 1 error (at 97%) and none on the one that was showing 30 errors with settings on Auto and voltage on 2.2.

I'm now running MemTest again with voltage at 2.2 but I've just had my first error reported at 23% completed. On the earlier test the error was reported at 97%.

I've now got 4 errors on one stick at 29%. I'm aborting the test and going to set voltage to 1.8 and then try a flight.

I saw elsewhere that the mobo might be increasing the supplied voltage. Might be some truth in that. Any memory experts out there that think it may be a memory issue and not a graphics one?

6. ---TK---

---TK--- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x 980Ti Gaming 1430/7296
    your problem is definanitely your ram. even 1 error indicates a problem. ill help you all i can but i have regular ddr ram. i suggest you make a new thread in general hardware more people will see it

7. Ray Proudfoot

GPU:
    Asus Extreme 8800GTX
    Thanks Tommy, I'll do that once I've established what settings give me the fewest errors. Currently it's 5-5-5-15 1.8v. Crucial state 2.2v!

8. linyanti

linyanti Master Guru

GPU:
    Zotac 1080 GTX Founders C
    My stock video card clocks are too high

Ray, I had to go in and turn the clocks all the way down. For whatever reason (and I do not understand it) the stock clocks were too fast once I went to sli.

When I start up Precision Tune the slider is about one third of the way from the left side. I then move all three clocks to the extreme left (turning them all the way down) click apply and all of my problems vanish.

I also turn the fan all the way up. My temps are usually around 62 and this keeps them at 55. This does not seem to be a factor since the solution for my problem also works with the fan kept at the stock setting.

If you have not done so you may want to clock your gpu at a slower speed than what it camed tuned for. Even with my clocks set as low as they can go the performance is good with everything in the game graphics maxed.

For the first time I see no rational reason to improve my system. I play everything maxed out and the gameplay is fluid. I may have to start playing Crysis so I have some reason to work on this system.

9. Ray Proudfoot

GPU:
    Asus Extreme 8800GTX
    Linyanti,

Sory, what clocks? BIOS? GPU? I'm reasonably certain it's not a graphics card problem but a memory one. I'm not running SLi or overclocking and my temps are all well within limits. The 8800GTX is running at the speeds it shipped at so it should be stable.

Using the logic from MemTest where lower RAM voltage produced far fewer errors I tried a flight with Microsoft Flight Sim X. This 'game' pushes all the hardware to the limit.

With voltage at 1.8v FSX lasted less than 5 minutes before the screen turned light green and everything locked. Okay, so MemTest likes lower voltage but FSX doesn't.

So using a bit of logic I increased voltage to 2.2 (it had been set to 2.1 incorrectly until this morning) and started my flight again.

I'm 3/4hr into it and everything is still fine. I'm flying Manchester - Belgrade and if I can get past Munich that will be better than yesterday.

The fact that the lockup was so different with a lower memory voltage suggests the lockups are related to it. Time I think to close this thread and start another in the Hardware forum but I need to see how far I can get with this flight first.

Cheers.

10. ---TK---

---TK--- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    if you want to take your card to the ABSOLUTE max google furmark and run that program for 10-15 minutes

11. Ray Proudfoot

GPU:
    Asus Extreme 8800GTX
    Thanks, I'll try that. Unfortunately FSX froze 1hour into my flight although I was able to regain control of the PC and close things down in an orderly fashion. The clouds had a lot of tearing in them suggesting a graphics issue but that could just be a consequence of another problem.

I really do need to establish if this is a graphics problem or not so will this test give me the definitive answer? FSX is a DirectX application, not OpenGL but a test is a test I guess.

Once I've established if the graphics card is fine then I can concentrate on these errors in MemTest which seem directly disproportionate to FSX performance.

More later.

12. ---TK---

---TK--- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    furmark takes my card up to 100c it is very intense. when i test my system i run orthos blend priority 3 and ati tool stability test at the same time

13. Ray Proudfoot

GPU:
    Asus Extreme 8800GTX
    I've downloaded furmark but ran another GPU benchmark test first. I've run it twice now and it's caused artifacts and screen freezes on both occasions. GPU temp was 83C - 10C hotter than my lockups in FSX.

I now think I have a faulty graphics card and I'll tell you why. When I built this system 3 months ago I originally had an Asus 3870X2 but that developed a problem and was RMA'd and a replacement sent. Whilst that solved the original problem it was a poor performer in FSX so I sold it and bought the 8800GTX 2 weeks ago. The problems of lockups started a week ago but because I was changing drivers and installing nHancer I didn't initially suspect the card.

But I never had any of these graphics problems with the Asus and if it was memory-related it would have affected that card too.

I'm not going to ignore those MemTest errors but I think it's important to confirm the 8800GTX is faulty so I can return it within 28 days of purchase for a replacement or refund. What would you suggest I do next?

14. ---TK---

---TK--- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ati tool 0.26 scan for artifacts. and dont ignore memory errors either. if you can run ati tool for an hour that card is ok. what are your clocks 575/1800?

15. Ray Proudfoot

GPU:
    Asus Extreme 8800GTX
    I installed Ray Adam's ATI Tray Tools but it won't run as either an ATI card isn't installed or no Catalyst drivers are.

Currently running Furmark. If it locks up in this isn't that sufficient proof of a faulty card?

16. ---TK---

---TK--- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ati tools 0.26 will work. furmark is Very Good as well

17. Ray Proudfoot

GPU:
    Asus Extreme 8800GTX
    7 minutes into the fumark test and the screen has gone bright green. I'll get ATI Tools 0.26.

Keep watching!

18. Ray Proudfoot

GPU:
    Asus Extreme 8800GTX
    Can I have a link to tray tools please? I can only find Ray Adams' version.

19. ---TK---

---TK--- Ancient Guru

GPU:
  20. ---TK---

---TK--- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    do you have fan set to 100%? if not set to 100% these cards run hot