8800GTX core temp too high?

Discussion in 'RivaTuner Advanced Discussion forum' started by fermion, Jan 17, 2008.

1. fermion

fermion New Member

GPU:
    Geforce 8800GTX /768M
    Hi,
    I'm a newbie to Rivatuner so please bear with me.
    I want to create low level fan control so I checked out the guide at comcastnet. I see that it recommends settings for the 8800 series cards of:

Less than 50º C fan = 60% speed.
    Greater than 50º C fan = 80% speed.
    Greater than 60º C fan = 100% speed.
    Between 50° & 60° C = 80% speed.

Now my idle core temp (running nothing but the desktop) is already 62 degrees with the fan speed at 60% so does that mean that it's a bit on the high side?

Thanks

2. rhiridflaidd

rhiridflaidd Member

I have a GT, and my temps were around that level initially. I took the fan appart and re-assembled it with far less thermal paste, and the temps dropped dramatically.

(not for those who can't afford to loose their warranty, afford to break their card and those who aren't used to instaling heatsinks.)

ps. the low level settings closest to what you set out above is

duty cycle min 60%
    duty cycle max 100%
    tmin 48
    TRANGE 20
    Toperating 90
    Tlowlimit0
    Thighlimit 100

(Again mess with low level settings at your own peril.)

I guess the comcast net uses higher level profile settings, rather than propper low level settings as rivatuner allows.

3. James01

James01 Member

GPU:
    MSI 8800GTX @ 621/1566/972Mhz
    Your temps are fine. My 8800GTX is idling at 65C with the fan at 60%. It reaches the low 80's under heavy load. I have it set to go to 100% fan speed at >78C. I also have several incraments inbetween.

Many GTX's reach these temps, or even hotter. That guide must be refering to GTS's or something.

4. jason_20087

jason_20087 Master Guru

GPU:
    460gtx
    some people tape the end vents on the 8800gtx so the air doesnt just bllow around the case it goes out the back could always remount the cooler with some artic silver or buy another cooler for the card or maybe just put an 80mm or 120mm fan to blow air across it, good luck

5. fermion

fermion New Member

GPU:
    Geforce 8800GTX /768M
    Thanks for the reassurance and the tips, guys. Though with
    the paint still wet on my warranty I think I'll leave the fan
    intact for the time being. Speaking of which, before I
    discovered Rivatuner and low level fan control I never, ever
    heard the fan become audible (go up to 70% or more) all by itself
    which maybe explains why some games like Oblivion were freezing up on me. Since I set the fan at 80% when the temp reaches 65 and 100% at 75 this problem is history. Which raises the question at what core temp should it to go up to 80% or more without any outside help?