8800gts overheating?

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by cMw-, Aug 16, 2009.

1. cMw-

cMw- Member

GPU:
    NVIDA 8800GTS
    so recently within the past 2 weeks ive been having terrible fps problems in games where the fps would randomly drop down extremely low and then after a few minutes go back up. well now it starts at extremely low and doesn't go back up at all. for instance in places where i should be getting 100+ fps in tf2 i get 30 or less and it is extremely laggy. same thing for when i open wc3 for dota i get terrible fps and is very choppy.

heres a rivatuner ss from a day or so ago : http://img26.imageshack.us/img26/9214/hardwaremonitoringn.png

card is an eVGA 8800GTS and its been idling at about 68-71c and cpu temp and hdd temp seem to be fine and ive also defragged my hdd and ran multiple virus scans etc etc

think its overheating and should I rma it?

2. Nightcover

Nightcover Active Member

GPU:
    Geforce 8800GT 512mb
    What about running that rivatuner monitor when actually playing?

That might help explaining.

3. DAMAFIA

DAMAFIA Master Guru

GPU:
    7970@1180/1800
    they seem a bit high for idle my G80 GTS idles at 48 50 and hits about 60/65 in game has the weather been hot where u are??

4. Ieldra

Ieldra Banned

GPU:
    GTX 980Ti G1 1500/8000
    71c idle means like 91c load.
    Check the temps while you're playing.

5. V4.SKUNK

V4.SKUNK Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX 8800GTS 640 (G80)
    Get a can of compressed air and give your GPU a good cleaning. You will be suprised at the amount of dust that collects inside the card.
    I clean my GPU(and rest of the rig) every 3-4 months...

6. yoyo69

yoyo69 Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX670 Sli
    If cleaning with compressed air does not work, try a different cooler I use Akasa vortexx neo's on 8800gt & 9800gt and dropped almost 30c under load (folding).

7. cMw-

cMw- Member

GPU:
    NVIDA 8800GTS
  8. itsmikey76

itsmikey76 Master Guru

GPU:
    Powercolor RX5700xt
    You can get compressed air at any computer parts store or if you have a friend with an air compressor that would work too just a bit overkill lol

9. Terrorizor

Terrorizor Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX260 SC
    do the temps stay the same even if you raise fan speed?

ive seen failing or overstressed power supplies make hardware run hotter than normal. not saying that's what it is, just that it might be worth checking into if nothing else pans out for ya.

10. cMw-

cMw- Member

GPU:
    NVIDA 8800GTS
    probably just rma the card since its under lifetime warranty just would rather not have my system down for that long

11. cMw-

cMw- Member

GPU:
    NVIDA 8800GTS
    so im gonna go buy a can of compressed air tomorrow, should i just blow it throug the fan and hope a lot of dust runs out the end of the heatsink?

12. kgb714

kgb714 Member

GPU:
    Galaxy 9600GT 512MB
    Woah I'm having the same problem. Tried turning up the fan with rivatuner but temps wouldn't go down. Idling at 70c and 96-100c under load.

Even with the side panel off with air going into the case directly, the temps were still bad.

I was thinking maybe reapplying the thermal compound to the GPU heatsink ??

13. cMw-

cMw- Member

GPU:
    NVIDA 8800GTS
    was thinking about that but im not sure of how to completely remove the heatsink and i didnt wanna try it and have something **** up which might void the warranty

14. DAMAFIA

DAMAFIA Master Guru

GPU:
    7970@1180/1800
    don't worry bout taking the cooler off its under EVGA warrenty IF you keep all the bits especially the wax pads that go on the ram its ezy to do get sum good tim mx2 or 3 both very good cud recommend either 3s best tho got carbon in almost as good as diamond for heat transfer (well it is carbon as well lol)

http://www.arctic-cooling.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=39_&mID=273

undo ALL the screws on back side ov card and twist the cooler dont pull just twist till the old tim breaks surface tension mine was welded on lol sum blue very thick crap was on it was like glue

Last edited: Aug 19, 2009
  15. cMw-

cMw- Member

GPU:
    NVIDA 8800GTS
    alright well, i just scored a 2894 :cry: on 3dm06 which is pretty terrible

i cleaned the card out with compressed air and the temps dropped by 8-10c, but the fps is still bad

any thoughts? card going bad? possibly psu?