8800GTS 512mb compatibility problems

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by shellshocked, Dec 23, 2007.

1. shellshocked

shellshocked Member

GPU:
    8800GTX @620/2000
    The really frustrating thing is that nobody wants to take responsibility for it. I've contacted MSI and Gigabyte now.

Gigabyte confirmed the 8800GT works with my mobo, but wouldn't give a straight answer on the G92 GTS.

MSI were even less helpful. They just said they don't know anything about compatibility and no issues have been reported anyway (um, what was my report :3eyes: ) so contact the retailer. (In very broken English).

If either one had said it was known issue and there was a fix on the way, I'd have said fair enough and waited. I wouldn't mind if I had an exotic mobo, but it's not like Gigabyte 965's are that rare!

Either way it's very worrying that Nvidia let a product get this far with a bug this serious. I'm hardly the only person suffering from it - it's even been flagged in a couple of reviews! At the very least they should post a list of compatible motherboards as the only official compatibility info we have is a pcie 16x slot with a 400w psu (cos PCIE 2.0 is fully backwards compatible).

I've done a lot of troubleshooting, and the only thing I've learnt is it's not a pure power issue, as you can run the card perfectly using the same psu with a different mobo. I also know it's not a case of insufficient power through the pcie slot, as whacked the voltage up +0.2, with no luck at all. It could be a driver issue, but I've seen a lot of Nvidia drivers in my time, and this would be a first for me :bang: I'd have bought an HD3870xt by now, but it looks like that's a downgrade from my old g80 gts.

2. TheHunter

TheHunter Banned

GPU:
    MSi N570GTX TFIII [OC|PE]
    here is that info i mentioned before its for GT but GTS is the same board, so there is no diff.

3. eynmyn

eynmyn Master Guru

wawawa

thats why i have OCZ 700 exstreame i dont trust corsair for psu they recently jumped into the psu market with their own label.and if you look at newegg theres like over 500 reviews on my ocz psu and not much on any of the corsair psu.

4. shellshocked

shellshocked Member

GPU:
    8800GTX @620/2000
    Can't remember who actually makes the Corsair PSUs, but like OCZ I'm pretty sure they just rebrand them :p I'm actually pretty impressed with mine - it's a single 60a 12v rail, so you're not limited to something silly like 18a per rail :3eyes:

I've done a quick google again and people are running the TX-750w with GTX's. Looks like the problem there was only with the Antec Quattro...

5. SRB

SRB Guest

GPU:
    2x 7800gtx (2x8800 gts 512 ?)
    From what I have found out....

The motherboard seems to have nothing much to do with it. The
    previous posts from antec match the information I got from
    silverstone's tech support. My 1000w power supply generated the
    error message on 2 different motherboards. silverstone acknowledged
    the problem, and said they were working with nvidia to resolve it.
    Some of their power supplys work, some don't.

6. honestjohn

honestjohn Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI Hawk HD 5770 @ 1010C
    This is really a completely different issue than the one this thread is dealing with. The PCI-E 1.x GEN1 / PCI-E 2.0 GEN2 issue is effecting only a handful of motherboards and if you have this issue, you don't get any video signal at all. If you're having this power supply firmware issue, you get a false Low Power Nvidia Sentinel Error Message.

Interesting, thanks for the feedback and it makes sense. Another thing I noticed was that a number of the power supplies experiencing this issue tend to be the high-wattage PSU's.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2007
  7. shellshocked

shellshocked Member

GPU:
    8800GTX @620/2000
    In that case I'm stumped - I've tested my Corsair and Tagan on another mobo and they both worked with the GTS, so I think I can rule out psu firmware. I must be one of the poor sods with genuine mobo issues :(

I could understand my Tagan having a firmware issue as it's older, but the TX750w is more or less fresh on the market, so you'd think they'd have made sure it was compatible...

I thought about the no signal issue, and I wasn't sure if I was affected by it or not (this isn't as n00bish as it sounds). If I turned my monitor on first, I got no signal over DVI. If I let my rig post then turned the monitor on, I got a signal. Not sure if that's related or not (it's either unrelated, or I found the solution to that problem :nerd: )

8. TheHunter

TheHunter Banned

GPU:
    honestjohn, o really so why does shellshocked have exaclly this issue, lol:D and he started the tread, and yes i've checked a bit and it seems that this issue mosty affects P965 chipset...

yes that is also one problem these gpus are facing; nvidia said it was a driver issue and that they fixed it with 169.xx driver... but i don't know since i don't own a GT or the new GTS.

9. honestjohn

honestjohn Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI Hawk HD 5770 @ 1010C
    DigiHunter, he started the thread with the Nvidia Sentinel Low Power Error Message and poor performance which is the issue I was referring to. :bang: Not the PCI-E 2.0 Gen2 issue. Did you read the thread from the beginning or just jump-in from the middle? If you wish to continue pursuing the PCI-E thing, go right ahead and enjoy yourself as I won't continue debating this with you, because if I we do, we'll just end-up trashing the thread.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2007
  10. TheHunter

TheHunter Banned

GPU:
    so why would his old pci-x 1.0 8800gts work fine and this new one, which is also less power hungrry, suddnely have power issues and compability issues and on top of that he's also using this P965 chipset?:bang:

my only suggestion would be to switch mobos with dads, lol he probably won't notice a thing, or buy your self a new mobo or sell current gts and buy a gtx, or go with new ati card and keep current mobo.

11. shellshocked

shellshocked Member

GPU:
    8800GTX @620/2000
    The signal issue isn't be driver related - you don't even see the post screen if you turn the monitor on too soon, so a new driver would make absolutely no difference there.

I'd imagine the solution will boil down to a new bios, but this would mean Nvidia or Gigabyte accepting there's a problem and actually doing something about it. Can't see either of them rushing to sort it, so the new GTS goes back, the old one goes on ebay, and I'll order a GTX.

Thought about a new mobo, but to be honest anything short of an X38 would be a waste of money. I'll get a refund on the new gts, and I've found a GTX for another £20, so this cheaper than blowing £150 on a new mobo on top of the new gfx card.

12. SRB

SRB Guest

GPU:
    2x 7800gtx (2x8800 gts 512 ?)
    Solved at my end....

I was all ready to replace the power supply, and then downloaded a
    bios update from asus for my mainboard (m2n32 sli deluxe). Went
    from 1402 to 1503 versions. Error message went away. When I
    went back to the 1402, the message returned. So for me the fix was
    a mb bios update. Good luck.

13. shellshocked

shellshocked Member

GPU:
    8800GTX @620/2000
    Yeah, I though Gigabyte would say the same thing when I emailed them, but they denied there was a compatibility problem. My guess is they just won't spend money on a bios update for older mobos.

Means a new mobo next time, but sure as hell it won't be a Gigabyte!

14. Lodingi

Lodingi Member

GPU:
    EVGA GTX650ti 1 gig
    Just saw this thread. I am running a BFG 8800GT OC 512 with a Corsair HX620 & I have zero issues. I would like to hear what Corsair says about your problem. I believe the PSU is made by Seasonic.

15. shellshocked

shellshocked Member

GPU:
    8800GTX @620/2000
    Just wanted to say a big thanks for all the help. I ended up returning the GTS and getting a GTX instead. It came today and I'm totally blown away (35fps in Crysis DX10!) :banana:

Cheers guys!

16. yelsewshane

yelsewshane Banned

GPU:
    Sapphire VaporX 290
    Either you have a psu issue or simply you have not installed the drivers properly. I suggest to download all the drivers from microsoft.

17. shellshocked

shellshocked Member

GPU:
    8800GTX @620/2000
    Trust me, I know perfectly well how to install a graphics driver properly. I tried 6 drivers in Vista and XP, and even reinstalled XP. I tired 3 different PSUs with my motherboard.

Unsurprisingly the card works perfectly with pcie 1.1 motherboards, so I think I can safely say it's a compatibility issue with mine.