8800gt wont work, help plz?

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by steel_kelly, Oct 30, 2007.

1. steel_kelly

steel_kelly Active Member

GPU:
    8800gt 512
    just got an 8800gt and 2 sticks of 1 gig ram but i cant get the 880gt to boot my monitor it just spins around at full speed as i hear they do when they are turned on.

i have a 550 wat psu so should be fine with that and i have the asrock 4core dual vsta mobo.

i have connected the 6 pin to molex connecters,
    cleared cmos, tried on both dvi ports, taken out and put back in the card 3 times, i havent tried another dvi to vga adapter yet but will do later on,
    i have also tried to see if in boots up when its connected to my projector but still nothing?

any ideas would be helpfull although i know most will be about my psu as its not a well known one but thanks either way.

2. ginge51

ginge51 Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire HD 7950 OC 3072
    Have you selected pci-e mode in bios?
    Or still does you're motherboard support you're gpu?
    Check there website you might need an updated bios?

3. twtaylor

twtaylor Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060 12gb
    I think the problem here is that your card is not getting enough juice out of that 4x PCIe slot or you may not have enough voltage on the 12 volt rails. I would check your card maker's site and find out if it has to run at full on 16x.

4. ricardonuno1980

ricardonuno1980 Banned

GPU:
    GTX 780Ti Classified :D
    my 8800gts work fine in my motherboard w/ pci-e x4. :)
    my mb is as equal as your.

5. EagleClaw

EagleClaw Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 5870 1GB Vapor-X
    Post us the 12v rails on the side of your PSU

6. steel_kelly

GPU:
    8800gt 512
    as the 12v rails are supposedly 24a then i took my card back to the shop where they tested it on more or less the same board and it didnt output anything on there so he tried it on a much better board and it worked fine so have bought an new board from abit so i will let you lot know if it works.

this does mean though that the 8800gt wont work yet at least with asrock 4core vsta so beware when upgrading people

7. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    24a total? That may not be enough. I think on the gts its around 28min, so the gt is close to that and 24a may not do it.

8. Jelle Mees

Jelle Mees Banned

GPU:
    8800GT 512MB 684Mhz/1836Mhz/2088Mhz
    My previeous had 24 amps, and my GTS worked just fine. Offcourse you never know the difference between 24 amps on one PSU and 24 amps on another.

9. anth_15

anth_15 Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX 4090
    I thinks its your PSU thats causing this problem,Its not getting enough power.

10. Karl 2

Karl 2 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 295
    So, does it work with the new board?

11. Nato.dbnz

Nato.dbnz Ancient Guru

GPU:
    5870 Crossfire
    Have you tried booting with 1 stick of ram? Could easily be a faulty stick causing this.

12. steel_kelly

GPU:
    8800gt 512
    well i installed the new board and everything seams ok!
    but the board has very different power sockets than what my psu had so am thinking i will upgrade my psu next.

i just played crysis at 1280x1024 at full settings and it was silky smooth so am impressed but gutted about paying another £80 on a new board!
    i suppose that will teach me to be cheap for buying an asrock product!

thanks as always for you input

13. Karl 2

Karl 2 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 295
    All is good then :smoke:

14. honestjohn

honestjohn Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI Hawk HD 5770 @ 1010C
    Glad you got it worked out and it looks like you're not alone. Hopefully Asrock comes up with a BIOS Fix as they had to do with ATI 2xxx series of cards .....

http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?p=1031608995&posted=1#post1031608995

15. Wiley

Wiley New Member

GPU:
    eVGA 8800GT
    hi i just received this email from asrock/netherlands support:

Hallo,

laut VGA Support Liste wird die 8800GT leider nicht unterstuetzt.
    Derzeit sind aber meine Kollegen von der Research/Development Abteilung dabei 8800GT Karten zu testen.

Sobald es Neuigkeiten – im Guten wie im Schlechten – gibt, melden wir uns wieder.

MfG
    ASRock Support

wich basically means that their R&D team is aware of that problem and trying to get the 8800GT working.

greetz from germany

Last edited: Nov 2, 2007

16. Octavean

Octavean Guest

GPU:
    GTX960 / GTX670 / GTX760
    Does the “ASRock 4core dual vsta” motherboard have a PCIe 1.1 slot or a PCIe 1.0 slot?

As I understand it, the 8800GT is the first PCIe 2.0 video card and 2.0 video cards are only backwards compatible with PCIe 1.1 not PCIe 1.0. Anyway, if ASUS / ASRock can fix the problem then great. I dont think they can if its a 1.0 slot though,.....

Check the specs on the ASRock 4core dual vsta PCIe port!

17. hasselblad

hasselblad New Member

GPU:
    8800 GT 512 Mo ordered...
    Hi, I'll be soon the owner of a 8800 GT.

My Motherboard is an Asrock Dual Sata 2 with PCI-e 1.0a, Chipset ULI 1695/1567). But it runs really at a x16 speed (i know the problem for the DUal Vsta version for intel's processor).

This problem of PCI-E 2.0 is strange because a friend of mine is able to run the 8800 GT on a Delfy Lan PArty 4 motehrboard with Nforce 4 chipset. And this chipset is a PCI-E 1.0a.

IS the 8800 GT full compatible withe the 1.0a ???

18. androo87

androo87 New Member

GPU:
    8800GT / 6800GT
    Similair problem - I have 775Dual VSTA that works fine with my old 6800GT AGP card. I pre-ordered the first of the 8800GT PCIe cards but it does not boot.

On turning on, fans and lights switch on but never get anything on screen. Have tried removing components for incompatibility, both DVI ports, reseating card in slot, clearing CMOS... but nothing worked.

I doubt its a power thing as 550W with 30A on 12+ should be enough. Also no change with molexs to HDD and DVD removed. I get no mobo failure beeps.

It seems someone at ASrock is aware of a problem and hopefully a fix is a BIOS update away? I doubt its the same problem as previously with the 8800GTS and this mobo as my understanding is that it did not load WinXP whereas now the GT is not even booting to POST?

19. hasselblad

hasselblad New Member

GPU:
  20. hasselblad

hasselblad New Member

GPU: