8800GT Sucks For Me

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by ALilHope, Jan 1, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ALilHope

ALilHope Member

GPU:
    EVGA 8800GT Superclocked Edition
    My PSU has more than enough amps... I just noticed. On the sticker it says:

+12V1 = 14A
    +12V2 = 16A

That is 30 amps! Ahh!!! whats wrong with my fps
    I'm going to EVGA forums for some help also. Maybe I got a bad card?

Last edited: Jan 2, 2008
  2. GenClaymore

GenClaymore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 5700 XT Thic II
    also PC& Cooling and Silverstone are also great psu makers.

3. LedHed

LedHed Banned

GPU:
    BenQ FP241W
    Haha are you kidding me? I play Crysis at all high settings and average 30fps at 1920x1200 on my X2 4200+

The gains with going to C2D in GPU intensive games is minimal if you already have an A64, especially a dual core. If he is playing at lower resolutions he would see a larger gain than I would though. By playing at high resolutions you shift the bottleneck away from the CPU to the GPU and therefore upgrading the CPU won't bring that much gain. Especially considering that would involve a complete system rebuild.

Overclock your X2 4200+, most will hit 2.5ghz.

4. iLovPieNCake

iLovPieNCake Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX GTX 285
    Try one of the new drivers like the 169.21 in XP or 169.25 in Vista. Also do you have a lot of junk on your computer because that also affects performance, sometimes slightly or sometimes significantly. Once I messed up on a partition and I ended up with a 50gb HDD and man. I have seen my best performance in years on my rig with that XP/Version/Update. It is definitely not the CPU, I have seen people with E4400/E2160's run with a 8800GT run better. Possibly a PSU problem and seeing as you only have 14A and 16A I would upgarade that. That reminds me, My TurePower 2.0 550w probably only has 16Aish. Dam, need and upgrade once I get my GTS/GT. Are you running any background programs while playing because that affects to. I usually tun off all programs except for the driver then run the game.

5. DJCyclone

DJCyclone Member Guru

GPU:
    XFX 8800GTX 675/1500/2200 W-Cooled
    I really don't think it's your PSU.

Have you tried a fresh OS install since you installed your gfx card?

Download and install the latest drivers for your mobo and gfx card.

Also, what OS are you using?
    I've found that Vista gets really s**t FPS compared to XP.

I'm running dual boot now with all games on XP. I wish I never bought Vista.

6. metaltoiletry

metaltoiletry Maha Guru

GPU:
    XFX HD5870
    To find the total amount of Amps on the 12 volt rail, you do not add them together. You have to take the total number of watts on the 12v rail and divide by 12.

Your power supply, an Aspire ATX AS420W, has 430watts combined on the +3.3v, +5v, +12v rails, and 200watts on the +3.3v and +5v rails.

so,

3.3v + 5v = 200watts
    3.3v + 5v + 12v = 430watts

430 - 200 = 230watts

230watts / 12 = 19.17 Amps

I tried running an older card (6600GT) with a similar power supply, and my card died on me because of the power supply, so I recommend you get a new power supply as soon as you can. Your system should be eating up CoD2.

You should get a power supply with at least 35 Amps, just to be safe. Before I had the power supply that I have now, I had one that had only 22 amps on the 12v rail and my system was running weird. I now have a power supply with over 50amps on the 12v rail and have no problems.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2008
  7. Anarion

Anarion Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3060 Ti
    Antec NeoHE series rocks, those are really good PSU's. Quiet and powerful. 500W version has triple +12V (17A each, 456W combined and SLI certified). To be honest I think it might not be PSU problem (software more likely).

8. Burnt_Ram

Burnt_Ram Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 1050 Ti
    your cpu is clocked a bit low, but cod2 isnt about the cpu. it's about the gpu.

i have a comp running an 8800GT stock @ 600/900 with an athlon64 "single core" @ 2.7 and i play cod2 in "DX9"@ 1280x1024 16xCSAA 16xAF "max" ingame settings.

i hardly *ever* see it drop below 100fps! and when it does drop it never goes below 75-80fps. i'm using 169.21 WHQL

so you must have another issue. like i said cod2 isnt aboput the cpu ;)

9. Burnt_Ram

Burnt_Ram Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 1050 Ti
    they "say" you need 450 watts for an 8800GT. you have lots of amperage, but might be lacking in the wattage. i forgot to post whats running my 8800GT. its a Antec true Power 480w single rail with 28a 12v.

also you want to avoid dual rail power supplys like yours, with those one rail is dedicated to the cpu and cpu only, and what ever is leftover on the other rail has to run everything else. so for a good single rail, or a nice quad rail and you'll be good to go :)

10. thejamppa

thejamppa Master Guru

GPU:
    eVga GTX 460 768mb SC
    Overclocking aside... Not too many peoples know or like to OC their system. My old 7900GS ran OC'ed and my old X2 3800+ Manchester ran 2,5 Ghz from Original 1,8 Ghz but I lacked ram so I had to change system than buy another matched pair of Corsair DDR 400 (since that came cheaper than buy another 1GB of matched pair )

So yeah, X 4200 OC'ed to 2,5 or 2,7 Ghz is more than enough. Since 5600+ Runs 2,8 Ghz at stock.

11. wiskerbizkit

wiskerbizkit Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 5850
    somethings up cos my little bro is on a 4200 bone stock and he doesn't get slowdown in anything. he doesn't have the ram to do any decent overclocking :(. but he does have my old WC'd 7950gx2.

12. OugaBooga

OugaBooga New Member

GPU:
    GTX 285 SLI'd
    resurrection:p

13. Keitosha

Keitosha Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte Vega56 8GB
    WTF??? Why would you want to bump a 1.5 years old thread?

I didn't notice at first until i saw an old post of mine.
    If you want to spam, go elsewhere. :spam:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.