8800gt rocks lol

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by damien666, Jan 18, 2010.

1. Xenthalon

Xenthalon New Member

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX460 1024MB
    I am still using my 8800gt aswell. Serves me fine all around, and I promised myself that the next GPU will be the Fermi once released. However, since I don't think there will be any games out that support DX11 immediately, maybe I'll stay with my 8800gt a while longer until the refined batch (like the G92 after the G80) is released.

2. MAD-OGRE

MAD-OGRE Ancient Guru

GPU:
    SLI EVGA 780 Classifieds
    I still have one of my 8800GT's ruining in my sons rig and it keeps him playing any thing he wants @1400x900 with out breaking a sweat.

3. Grahf

Grahf Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI N580GTX Lightning
    My evga 8800GT SSC is still my primary desktop/gaming card. Works fairly well with most games @ 1600x1200, but sadly for the first time in the 2+ years that I've owned this card, I've been getting artifacting just within the past two or three days.

Looks like this card might be near the end of its (relatively) long life. :(

I'm just saving money for a completely new system build from scratch.

Agree 100%.

This is single best, most reliable, most overclockable, stable, long-lasting, highest value Nvidia card I've used since the 4xxx series. Probably the most reliable video card I've ever used period.

Only reason it's getting artifacts now is 2+ years of punishing overclocking and probably my own shoddy thermal paste replacement job (I regret that now).

Last edited: Jan 19, 2010
  4. cowie

cowie Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX
    oh man d6 rediscovers his 88gt lol,its still a fun card.

5. GeoD

GeoD Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1070
    i bought one of these the weekend they came out. i drove ~50 miles to the nearest comp usa just to get one. near 8800gtx speed without the cost. if it weren't for STALKER CS's horrible performance "forcing" me to get my 4870 i'd still be rockin it. in the end upgrading to the 4870 seems foolish since CS runs like garbage since its poorly coded, maybe a few FPS faster with the ATI card. other than that game, i was set...

6. UZ7

UZ7 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB Vision 3080 10GB
    I had a 9800GT and I liked it a lot and it ran the games I wanted fine, only reason I got a 4870 was because my bro was looking for an upgrade and the 4870 was on sale and so I sold it to him for about $100 and got the 4870 lol. But yeah it was quiet and cool at idle, wasnt too loud on load and it played games pretty nicely :) .

7. Manu2009

Manu2009 Master Guru

GPU:
    Evga GTX 570 DS HD
    Try poping another one and change the cooler on them ! They run great even OCed.

The only con is the memory. It overclocks pretty bad. The core clock went all the way up to 700mhz (600 base) and the memory only managed 945 (900 base) 24/7.

Still, they are REALLY good cards and I don't plan on upgrading them for a while. Maybe when decent dx11 comes out !

8. Zareph

Zareph Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire NITRO+ RX480 4GB
    I had an 8800GT. It actually has lifetime support, I just cba to waste the money on sending it in.

Anyhow, it's a great card. And I would never have upgraded if it hadn't broken after 2 years.
    On reflection, I probably shouldn't have wasted all that money on this card (which doesn't even work properly - DX11 doesn't work) - I should just have sent my 8800GT in for RMA.

Well, anyway, since DX11 doesn't work on this particular card, I'm RMAing one of these days and getting a refund. It was way overpriced at OCUK anyway. I might just send in my 8800GT for an RMA while I'm at it instead of wasting money on another 5850 or a 5770.

Mine was a BFG 8800GT OC - I wonder if they make 9800GTs? I'm thinking I might get one of those in return if I do RMA?

9. Halli

Halli Member Guru

GPU:
    PNY GTX465 Bios 470
    They will send ya a 250.

10. tehalirigsho

tehalirigsho Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX460 SC
    Sold an EVGA 8800GT on ebay a while back for not much money.
    I should have kept it as a backup... they're still worth holding onto imo for backup or for physx.

11. ---TK---

---TK--- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x 980Ti Gaming 1430/7296
    8800gtx FTW. monster for its time. Think I got a couple laying around still.

12. Eize

Eize Member

GPU:
    Asus Geforce 9800GT 1gb
    i think the best card i haver had was a Ti4200 128MB it was a beast in that time and wasnt top of the line either ( it was Ti 4600 i think) but it was so good at the time

13. sounar

sounar Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080
    oh yea 8800 great card .. i owned the 8800GTX Ultra before my 280..man that thing was a real beast when it came out in 2007, way ahead its time... it swiped punches with the 4870 on benchmarks, and much faster than the 250gts..wish i had never sold it, since i never noticed a performance increase when switched to a 280gtx since it ran everything fine.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2010
  14. W@w@Y

W@w@Y Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080
    yeah my mom says they rock too lol

now I feel bad about my old rig (Conroe e6300 +8800GT) being underused and will forever be (I moved to a different country and the PC is left with my mom and she only uses the PC for internet and word)

I wish she'd try out the games installted there though lol

but seriously, that 8800GT was an impressive card during its time..I got an 8800GT because my friend bought one for me in exchange for my 8800GTS 320 so he could SLI it with his other GTS320 and wow did I see performance improve (probably because the 320mb wasnt enough for the games then? plus a little more grunt from the G92 core I guess)

The only drawback was the loud fan then..Why they made the earlier 8800GTs with smaller fans I dunno but they did seem inadequate

15. dcx_badass

dcx_badass Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Palit GTX 1060 6GB
    I got my 8800GT in September, upgraded from a 7600GT, such a big difference, plays all my games fine now, bargain for £45 used.

16. Hekynn

Hekynn Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 460 1gb MSI HAWK
    Yup they do rock my little bro is using my old 8800gt since his gtx version died on him we even tried the oven trick a no go there lol and he's liking the GT I gave him and fits really nice and runs well with his extreme 2.9ghz core 2 duo setup.

17. studabakahawk

studabakahawk Master Guru

GPU:
    2-SOC GTX 460 768 MB SLI
    I have been trying to get a steady post going for 8800 GT cards for over a year now. I have 2 in SLI and they are totally solid. They play everything at great Fps, and i can use AA and AF levels that make everything beautiful and have no regrets of not buying the 2xx cards Nvidia has been pumping out for the past 2 years.
    Nvidia comes out with new cards every 6 months. they keep the prices way up on older cards as well. I have been looking at GTX 260 and 275 cards as an upgrade path for over a year. the prices have only come down a few dollars even though the new Nvidia cards are already out. Dont expect to see the prices drop anytime soon.
    I have a Asrock SLI AMD M\B but i can use ATI as a single card solution They have very nice and powerful cards for about 50-75 bucks less than Nvidia .
    I try to buy one Nvidia card and the next time i buy i go ATI. it keeps the completion lively and each other in check.
    No sense being a fan boy ,Best card Nvidia ever made was the 8800GT It runs hard on low power and in SLI it keeps up with GTX 275 just fine

18. studabakahawk

studabakahawk Master Guru

GPU:
    2-SOC GTX 460 768 MB SLI
    2 BFG oc running at 725\1825\999 in sli for 2 yrs not a hickup. I swear some nvidia drivers had nasty stuff in them to play Havock with 8800 gt
    I had to be careful about going to new drivers. I read these forums very carefully before trying new drivers where as in the past before the advent of the 2xx cards i could run any driver as it came out. im running 195.62 driver with no problems. but i had only been able to use 182.08 driver previous to that.

19. preach

preach Member

GPU:
    2xnvidia gtx260(2x 896mb)
    i had this card also back when i whas still on school, this card rlly did a great job. i managed to kill it once though cause i OC'ed it to much hehe. think it whas the first card i ever OC'ed :p.

20. allesclar

allesclar Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 1070
    8800gt SLI ftw