1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

8800gt memory can't be overclocked over 950

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by wan_d7, Jul 21, 2008.

1. wan_d7

wan_d7 Member Guru

GPU:
    Asus 450 GTS 900/2000
    my specs:albatron 8800gt 512 mb.
    i got accelero s1 + 120mm fan blow air in to the gc.
    i've modded the volt to 1.1v thru bios mod. when i try 700/1800/1000 in ati tool for few hours there's no artifacts or any problem. so does in game like DMC4,cod4,bioshock. but until one day i play pes2008,when i in a match and exactly after i score a goal,in the cinematic part,suddenly the artifact flying around my screen. i had to reset my pc. the i downclock to 650/17**/1000 but still the artifact is there. only when i down the memory clock to 950,i can play happily ever after.this do happen in Guitar hero 3.
    i don't know what's wrong.
    my gc temp:idle 45 load 52+
    thanks.

2. DSK

DSK Banned

GPU:
    HD5770/BenQ G2220HD
    memory is fryed seems like it

3. wan_d7

wan_d7 Member Guru

GPU:
    Asus 450 GTS 900/2000
    you think so?darn..i didnt overclock memory much before.only from 900 to 950. maybe my volt mod in bios is wrong?cuz i just increase the volt int the extra tabs,not others since i saw a nice flashing tutorial showing that ^^

4. meran

meran Master Guru

GPU:
    sapphire 5850 2gb @850
    do u see artifacts only in this game/? if it is then this game is sensitive to memory clock
    my 8800gt have samsung chips i can clock them up to 1100

5. meran

meran Master Guru

GPU:
    sapphire 5850 2gb @850
    make sure to apply ram sinks if they are cool they overclock better though quimonda chips are not good as samsung ones

6. evilfury

evilfury Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 1070 GTX Gaming X
    I have the same problem. Is there any solution or i have just got bad chip? I have accelero S1 on it.

7. wan_d7

wan_d7 Member Guru

GPU:
    Asus 450 GTS 900/2000
    yeah it's just in this game.(pes 2008) and like i say,when the game played there's no artifact not until the cinematics part(throw in,cards,celebration etc).
    maybe cause of quimonda chips i think// ^^

8. == x86 ==

== x86 == Member Guru

GPU:
    Geforce 8800GT 512MB
    Did you stick the ramsink on the memory IC? I guess there is no problem with the qimonda chip, I'm using Albatron too and using qimonda chip ( but i forget what is the batch...) and I could run it stable with eVGA SSC BIOS which OC to 700/1000 and I could clock the memory to 1050 without any hardmod.

9. evilfury

evilfury Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 1070 GTX Gaming X
    [​IMG]

You mean if i stick on the right side of my card, like its on picture? No i didnt it wasnt necessary if i remember correctly?

10. wan_d7

wan_d7 Member Guru

GPU:
    Asus 450 GTS 900/2000
    i also think i didn't applied. only the heatsink on the ram,not on the ic.

11. vidra

vidra Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX1060 6GB
    8800GT memory chips problems are well known. It's not that they are fried, it's just that they shouldn't have been clocked so high in the first place. Just downclock your vRAM low enough for the artifacts to disappear and you'll be fine. If you want more speed you can do a BIOS volt-mod for your 8800GT (1.05-1.1V) and you'll get roughly 50 more MHz on the GPU which should more than make up for the speed you lost downclocking your VRAM. Be careful though not to screw up your card with a BIOS flash!!!

http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1260590

12. wan_d7

wan_d7 Member Guru

GPU:
    Asus 450 GTS 900/2000
    well,i've done the bios mod at the time i post this thread,and it's still occur. right now i'm holding on 700/1700/950. but i know i can go more that's why i'm looking for any possible solution,other than hard mod. ^_^

13. vidra

vidra Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX1060 6GB
    You misunderstood me. the bios mod allows a higher overcock of the GPU, not the RAM! Try lowering your RAM clocks until the artifact problem disappears.

14. wan_d7

wan_d7 Member Guru

GPU:
    Asus 450 GTS 900/2000
    ohhh...now i understood.thanks vidra..so now my max clock of ram is 955 with core at 700 and shaders 1700. i think the core i can up a bit. i'll try it when i'm home

15. RIP_Greave

RIP_Greave Member Guru

GPU:
    7970m
    If i want to put some heatsinks on my 3d card what glue should i use and can i use any heatsink, Ihave never mod the phisical hardware......

16. vidra

vidra Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX1060 6GB
    Usually the heatsinks you can buy come with the thermal adhesive already applied. You just peel away the plastic protection and carefully stick the heatsink to a previously well cleaned and de-greased RAM chip. Alternatively, you can try
    http://www.arcticsilver.com/arctic_silver_thermal_adhesive.htm
    or some other similar stuff

17. RIP_Greave

RIP_Greave Member Guru

GPU:
    7970m
    Thanx Vidra .......

18. Alexstarfire

Alexstarfire Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce 9800GTX+ @ stock
    With the Qimonda chips they say you may actually achieve better results by UNDERVOLTING the RAM. You'd have to take a look at the giant thread on xtremeSystems to figure out how to do it. That's where I read it. It's going to require a hard mod though, and I'm guessing you don't want to do that.

Either way, if the RAM is OCed, then that's your problem. Nothing is ever gauranteed to operate beyond what the manufacturer sets. Don't be angry or upset just because your RAM doesn't OC as well as someone elses, even if they have the same Qimonda chips that you do.

19. morbias

morbias Don TazeMeBro Staff Member

GPU:
    -
    Also, some vendors use tighter timings on the memory. It could just be that your card has tighter timings and can't run such high clocks, though the overall memory performance might be the same as another brand which uses higher clocks and lower timings.

20. vidra

vidra Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX1060 6GB
    You're welcome, man