8800GT First impressions

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by ebigo, Nov 2, 2007.

1. morfeus02

morfeus02 Maha Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire HD4870 1GB GDDR5
    C:/Program files/electronicarts/crytek/crysisSp demo/bin32/Benchmark_GPU

it starts a gaming loop from a .bat file and gives you the results in that dos window

2. Copey

Copey Ancient Guru

GPU:
    960 2GB
    It just does, and then when you hit a key the benchmark starts

3. Karl 2

Karl 2 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 295
    If noise is a big concern then you'd better use an aftermarket cooler, be it just for that reason. The GT's stock fan is tiny and therefore needs high rpm's to match the cfm capacity of larger coolers. Apart from noise issues, small exposed fans running at high speed tend to gather at lot of dust on their fins quite rapidly which can lead them to fail without warning. Whenever possible, user-serviceable parts that appear to be of dubious quality on low-cost high performance cards should be discarded and replaced with standard quality parts at once. The added cost may have a negative effect on a card's value but it's usually well worth the investment.

4. LedHed

LedHed Banned

GPU:
    eVGA GTX 295 /BenQ FP241W
    I love how Karl 2 is always talking about low quality or budget parts on these cards when they are made at the same quality as the 8800GTS. Not to mention they are backed by a lifetime warranty, so give it up Karl. Your heat problem topic is not existent, your quality of parts argument is thrown out by a lifetime warranty and your argument that the 8800GTS is only a few frames slower is obviously wrong.

Also this card is no where near as loud as the ATI 1900 series.

5. fr33k

fr33k Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS STRIX RTX2080
    ^hes just looking for flaws so he can troll.

6. saif

saif Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire R9 280X DualX OC
    enjoy your video card mate, and make it worth!

I Have 3 years until I can upgrade some part of my rig, though for then I suppose there will be already better cards hehe, i never since child could get a high end pc :D

7. stockwiz

stockwiz Member

GPU:
    560ti

it's about the same loudness as those fans at 60% ... it's only when you get above 65% to around 70% that is starts becoming louder then the fans.. at least in my setup.. I have 4 but they're not running at full blast.. they're actually running at the lowest speed. My CPU fan makes the most noise.

8. Karl 2

Karl 2 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 295
    Are you from a communist background? I thought you were from the Carolinas... Anyway, fortunately for you this site can teach you the basics of sound economics as well as good manners. :)

In a capitalist system most corporations do not spend more money manufacturing a product than the amount they can sell it for unless the corporation is question is operated by a government agency, in which case it will usually perform extremely well at losing money. As far as I know nVidia is not a government corporation therefore it must make profits in order to survive. So how is it possible to produce affordable high-performance products? The most blessed decade of the automobile industry's history provides the answer.

From the mid 1960's to the early 1970's almost anyone could get himself (or herself but that was rare) a monstrously powerful car for a very affordable price. These so-called 'muscle cars' were just that: lots of muscle, very few of anything else. Basically an engine that had more in common with rocketry than terrestrial transportation wrapped in a tin can with four wheels. Except for the engine these cars were built with low-cost parts that were not quite designed to sustain the stress their own power was capable of inflicting upon them unless the owner took the basic precaution of replacing certain factory items with superior quality parts.

A few (very few) oddballs bought those cars and drove them 'as is', owing their survival to the fact that they drove in a sedate style. For example the only big-block V8 Dodge Swinger I ever saw that had never been modded at all was the 1968 model I bought from a Catholic priest in 1983 after it had been garaged for 10 years (the car, not the priest). The good Reverend admitted he was afraid of driving it, which is quite understandable considering it was propelled by a 440ci 4bbl 390hp engine coupled to a 3-speed manual tranny with a downright devilish clutch. It was one of the rare times I ever saw the butt-ugly hubcaps Chrysler had originally shipped those cars with at the time. That very evening I gained 4 large ashtrays for my Performance Auto Lab (well, my Dad's garage).

Needless to say having enough power was not the issue, preventing the car from catching fire or flying off the road was. I did not pay much for the car but I had to invest more to make it at least somewhat manageable (forget tame). This car was extremely powerful for the money, heck it was extremely powerful period. But like all such low-cost yet fast cars it was very delicate and basic precautions had to be taken in order to make it, and its driver, last reasonably long.

So yes, you can buy a fast video card for a song and use it 'as is' if you make a sedate use of it but otherwise it's advisable to mod it by replacing the parts that were obviously chosen for their low cost rather than quality, such as the cooler. If you are too stubborn or immature to even consider this I still have hope that time will make you more reasonable. At least you're not risking your life, only that of a piece of hardware.

People come here seeking advice not only about how this and that performs but also about how to make them last longer and/or more quiet, etc, and whether you like it or not, just because you own something doesn't make it perfect. But it can be made better when one takes the precaution of spotting and correcting whatever the manufacturer chose to sacrifice the quality of for the sake of making it more affordable.

No lifetime warranty ever made a cooler quieter and indeed the 1900 XT/XTX's have a scandalously noisy one but considering they run up to and even beyond 100C that's hardly a surprise. Now you say your card runs cool, that's very fine and dandy but you said yourself somewhere that you trust serious serious reviewers more than forum users -or is that only when said users don't agree with you?- and more than one serious reviewer has reported that the basic 8800GT runs both hot and loud, and I am compelled to believe them. You can post stats from your favorite reviewer but that won't change what others have said, which is that while the card is great it could use some more serious cooling and less noise. And unless you have less than 3 years of experience with computers you can't argue that small exposed fans gather a lot of dust and are more prone to fail than larger encased ones. These are issues that are best dealt with by way of fixing them, not denying them.

If you have any constructive remark to make I'm sure it will be welcome by most here, even by me, but your snide remarks about myself and those who don't agree with you in general or display a lesser level of adoration towards what is after all only a piece of hardware are unwarranted and display an unusual amount of contempt considering the nature of the discussion and the generally agreeable atmosphere of this forum.

9. LedHed

LedHed Banned

GPU:
    What a lengthy off topic post you made, congrats.

Now for my short response:

I never said you can't improve upon the card (I volt mod and buy after market cooling on all my video cards). However heat is simply not an issue with these cards and many users are reporting very low temps. Here is my temperature after completely playing Crysis through (I marked the peak temp)

[​IMG]

I brought up the Lifetime Warranty because you are acting like the 8800GT's are manufactured on a lower quality of production than the 8800GTS. What makes you think this? Provide any links or any proof that shows the 8800GT is manufactured at a different level of quality than your beloved 8800GTS. A single slot cooler does not mean the parts are lower quality, it means the 65nm process is running cooler (see above picture).

The point is IF something would malfunction on the 8800GT it can be sent in immediately free of cost (except shipping in some cases) for another card.

You scream troll on these forums so this is probably the last response you'll get from me.

10. PunishedOne

PunishedOne Member

GPU:
    MSI 4850 w/custom cooler
    I jumped from an eVGA 7900 GT KO to the 8800 GT.

What a world of a difference, especially in Crysis.

Average of 40 FPS (Real world performance, not with the benchmark) with all settings High and 2x AA on 1360x768 in Crysis, in XP and no visual mods. I'm going to go into my .cfg and disable Motion Blur as I find it annoying compared to TF2's subtle motion blur.

World in Conflict's minimum FPS is 20 with everything turned up with 4x AA on the benchmark in-game.

TF2 has no difference, but that's because the Source engine is CPU bound, not GPU.

CoD4 was a HUGE HUGE performance increase. Bigger than Crysis. On my old 7900, I had to tweak settings just to get a somewhat playable experience. Now, everything is turned up with 4x AA and I see an average of 55 real world FPS.

11. ManicOne

ManicOne Maha Guru

GPU:
    HIS 5850 Crossfire
    Ledhed is dead right. My card is maxxing out at about 66C too, (fan at 70%, core 650, shaders 1800, mem 1950). Haven't even finished oc'ing it either, it'll easily go further.

12. Karl 2

Karl 2 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 295
    Sorry but I trust a reputable review site over a random user on the forums :p

13. Karl 2

Karl 2 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 295
    Yet you flame me for recommending a third-party cooler to someone who dared mention he was concerned about noise. :confused:

If you continue your nonsensical ad hominen attacks I may have to resort to extreme measures that could go as far as farting in your general direction. You have been warned.

14. grimsanta

grimsanta Master Guru

GPU:
    8800GTS 640MB @ 575/1750
    Just thought i'd let you know that a majority of products lose money their first year. This includes graphic cards. Including R&D costs, the flagship graphic card series never makes money, only makes up for R&D costs. The reason they do it is because the R&D for is actually used for FUTURE low end products, and once they figure out how to impliment that stuff, they sell it at the high end, and eventually the mainstream, and at last the low end.

Corporations ALWAYS sell at a loss at the begining, only small businesses with limited credit can't afford to do this.

15. Karl 2

Karl 2 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 295
    While this is certainly true for hardware products with a relatively long shelf life (such as mainstream cards) it would be suicidal to sell below cost a high-end product that will only be considered "current" for 6 months or so and then see its sales drop considerably when something faster/fancier comes along. Looking back at the history of video cards we can see that all high-end cards are initially sold at very high prices and for many of them the price never really goes down until the model is discontinued, the reason being that it's simply not possible to maintain the same level of quality at a reduced price. The only high-end card from nVidia other than the 8800GT that was ever launched at a bargain price (comparatively speaking) was the 7900GT, not exactly a stellar reference. It eventually got fixed but by then it was too late. Hardware manufacturers are no different than other industrial sectors, "cheap and fast" will require some corner-cutting and a higher risk that problems will develop along the way, especially if the product is abused, due to narrower tolerances.

16. LedHed

LedHed Banned

GPU:
    The 7900GT's fault lied in its memory manufactures. It was fixed within a month of launch.

17. Octavean

Octavean Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX960 / GTX670 / GTX760
    Well said Karl 2, however, I don’t agree with the car analogy simply because older vintage cars were often built around massive rigid bodes (no crash point) that were essentially designed with little or no consideration for safety,….at least not in the modern sense. That and car analogies are ubiquitous and a little annoying IMO,…. ;)

Your point is well taken though.

I’ll still maintain that if the spec of the 8800GT is observed (600MHz / 1800MHz core / MEM or close to it) then the stock cooling is likely fine (fan included),….at least in the short term. Pushing it further without upgrading the cooling in some way, even factory OCed by the manufacturer,….well you take the cards health into your own hands,….

I will say this though, the 2000MHz memory issue that we have been hearing about gives me some concern but we will see what happens.

18. LedHed

LedHed Banned

GPU:
    the 2000mhz memory thing is just ONE guy's opinion and he doesn't even elaborate on what he says.

19. Octavean

Octavean Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX960 / GTX670 / GTX760
    Is that your honest opinion ;)

20. fr33k

fr33k Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS STRIX RTX2080
    no that would be a fact.