8800GT - Does manufacturer make a difference?

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by deadman@wnc, Jan 1, 2008.

1. deadman@wnc

deadman@wnc Member

GPU:
    7900GT
    I'm about to upgrade my 7900GT to an 8800GT, and there are so many to choose from.
    I have read several comments on here about eVGA being the best support / step up etc, but I live in the UK, so I would be dealing with the USA and I won't be upgrading in less than 90 days so step up is no go.

I was going to get and MSI 8800GT (NX8800GT-T2D512E-OC), does anybody have any experience they would share regarding MSI or in particular this card.

Thanks

2. TheHunter

TheHunter Banned

GPU:
    MSi N570GTX TFIII [OC|PE]
  3. Cold Fussion

Cold Fussion Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 260 gtx (216sp)
    The bfg cards seem to oc the highest.

4. ALilHope

ALilHope Member

GPU:
    EVGA 8800GT Superclocked Edition
    I've been buying EVGA cards for a LONG time. Never disappointed.

5. lillelj

lillelj Maha Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 675M
    Haven't there been some pretty serious problems with the 8800GT of late? Just been reading through some of the 8800GT threads in here. Take a look at some of the threads in this section and see which cards/manufacturers are having issues. And, perhaps avoid those.

Edit:This is what i was reading....http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=247727
    Also been seeing a few, it seems, 'teething' problems with this card floating round the net. But from iffy sources (eg. *cough* inquirer)

Last edited: Jan 2, 2008
  6. compuguy1088

compuguy1088 Member Guru

GPU:
    XFX AMD Radeon 5850
    Yea there has been some issues with bad memory, and I was one of the people who got that issue. The card was unstable at its default 950 Ram clock, and had to be downclocked to stock speeds.

7. UnclePappi

UnclePappi Banned

GPU:
    Asus 680 2gb 1250mhz
    Well thanks you sir I'll have to try mine out then!

8. deadman@wnc

deadman@wnc Member

GPU:
    7900GT
    OK I here what you are saying, thanks...

I have spoken to my usual supplier and they are saying the 8800GT I wanted is now out of stock but they have a "new faster gts" for a similar price.

Can somebody please look and comment.

Original http://www.aria.co.uk/Products/Comp...00GT+512MB+Overclocked+PCI-E+?productId=29171

Alternative http://www.aria.co.uk/SuperSpecials...+GeForce+8800GTS+512MB+PCI-E+?productId=29750

Apart from the two games, which is the better, I'm really confused about GT vs GTS?

9. Threewheels

Threewheels Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 275, 896mb
    well, just make sure that you know that there are OLD GTS cards and the NEW GTS cards. The NEW GTS cards are built on the same smaller 65nm chipset dies as the GT (so they can run faster and use less power than the old cards). And they have more stream processors (128) than the GT (112) and also the OLD GTS cards (96). The new cards also come with 512mb memory now (old ones were 320mb or 768mb).

basically its a new and improved revision of the old GTS, pumped up to be faster and more powerfull. Sometimes they are referred to the 8800 GTS (G92), so make sure you know the differenences when shopping.

btw, the front page has an article on a new GTS card that pretty much explains everything.

Also, I almost forgot. I have that same MSI 8800GT card (runs 660mhz stock), and haven't had any problems with it, other than running a bit warm on UT3 (but not on older games). I used rivatuner to increase the fan speeds when it gets hot though, just for some piece of mind.

10. livesoft

livesoft Member Guru

GPU:
    BFG 8800GT 512MB OC2/Samsung 226BW
    Old GTS < GT < New GTS

eVGA Superclocked = BFG OC
    eVGA KO = BFG OC2
    eVGA SSC is clocked higher than the others but I didn't look at XFX.

I thought one of the manufacturer (either eVGA, XFX or BFG) had a RMA center in UK or in Europe. Consider this when you buy. Also, you only have 10 years of warranty outside USA and Canada.

If you can, buy the new 8800GTS. Its better than the GT and got a better cooling system. If you want to go for the GT, get an eVGA because their warranty is better (covers pretty much everything) and you have a step-up program if you want to get the GeForce 9 series that's coming out in March.

11. deadman@wnc

deadman@wnc Member

GPU:
    7900GT
    What a fantastic reply, thanks a bunch. I would really prefer the MSI GT as it comes with DIRT & LOTR games as a bundle.