8800 Series OC cooling tips

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by KoeiNL, May 17, 2007.

1. MR.BONES

MR.BONES Master Guru

GPU:
    xfx6850
    Has anyone tried covering the open vent slots with tape?
    To block hot air from blowing back into the case? Instead of adding a blower fan.

2. darrenj

darrenj Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 3080
    That sounds very promising. Dare to try it?:ying:

3. MR.BONES

MR.BONES Master Guru

GPU:
    xfx6850
    After giving it some thought it may not bring down core temps,But it might lower case temps by a degree or two?....Hummmm****Runs off looking his roll of tape***:D

4. Jalida

Jalida Member

GPU:
    BFG 8800GTS OC 320mb
    After seeing the gheto ways of how people have made ducts to try to duct out the hotair that escapes out of the vents on the side of the card I had seriously thought about just using a piece of plastic (like an old CD jewelcase) to tape in place and cover the holes.

But somehow I have to think that there must actually be a reason that they are there besides looks. I could only guess that maybe the slots are there because the stock fan isn't capable enough to actually blow all the way through the case to exhaust it all out the back so they had to cut slots to let some of the hot air escape that way. Just my thoughts though without any reference or facts on the matter.

I think I'll let someone else try it first and see if the burn up their card.

If someone tries it, I suppose a piece of tape is okay temporarily but eventually it's going to catch any dust that the gpu fan blows through there to the stickyness of the tape, which at best will just cause a mess and at worse... well who knows this yet.

5. MR.BONES

MR.BONES Master Guru

GPU:
    xfx6850
    Good point,Cant find my tape anyway will pick up some later,Imo it still worth a try,Think about it for a moment The ATI 2900xt has well almost the Identical cooler setup WITHOUT the open slots and runs even hotter than the 8800 series.I agree the jewel case would be a "Cleaner" option to try.
    Welcome to the forums:)

6. Jalida

Jalida Member

GPU:
    BFG 8800GTS OC 320mb
    I'd have to see what speed the 2900xt's fan runs at. I have a feeling that it must run at a higher speed most of the time compared to the 8800 and that by having it run at a faster speed it allows the hot air to get blown out the back of the computer at a fast enough speed to do the cooling.

Since the 8800's fan runs at default of I think 65%, then maybe thats not fast enough to push the air all the way out the back so the slots give it an easy way to get the air out of the cooling tunnel.

Give it a shot and let us know what you find out. Chances are in a setup like mine it wouldnt make any difference since I have two 80mm fans that blow directly into the space under the video card so anything that gets blown back in by the slots in the cooling tunnel is usually swept away by the two 80mm fans so there is probably very little heated air that is sucked back through the video cards cooling fan.

Thanks for the welcome.

7. giorgos th.

giorgos th. Master Guru

GPU:
    eVGA 9800GX2
    didn`t have any positive results on mine..or the case temp...
    but it was worth a try before i put water on it..

8. Da{N}ka

Da{N}ka Master Guru

GPU:
    SLI XFX GTX285 Black Ed.
    Thing is, the backplate holes for that card are way to tight, it should have been left completely open and not having those wave shaped holes.

On another note the air from the ventilation holes on the side of the card, release a lot of air back into the case, otherwise if they wouldn't , the back of the card would be a lot hotter than the GPU portion, hence not good either.

With my case there is a fan that pull out the hot air from the top portion of the case, but also a good idea is a fan on those ventilation holes that pushes air in.

You would have something like this then.

[​IMG]

Of course the fan on the ventilation holes should spin at a lower speed than the default fan, otherwise you would have an opposite force effect between the fans.

... **** I just had a good idea ...

9. darrenj

darrenj Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 3080
    We have "conveniently" lost our collective rolls of masking tape.:pinkbow:

This is my simple solution. Not a mod.
    Note the internal 120mm fan standing just below my 8800GTS. It seems to help.

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 29, 2007
  10. KoeiNL

KoeiNL Active Member

GPU:
    GTX260 ssc
    [​IMG]
    Couldnt fit the 80mm below my card on the back to suck air out because of the network card (onboard card gives troubles connecting to the network here, prob because im spoofing macadres :p). idle temps dropped maybe 2c max orso, havent had the time to check load temps.

11. Jalida

Jalida Member

GPU:
    BFG 8800GTS OC 320mb
    Virtually the same solution as mine: See photo.
    I used the opening in the side of my case that was a passive heat escape that would actually only work if the case was put on it's side to let the hot air escape out of the opening through convection, which doesn't work for me, so I added the two 80mm fans that you see in the photo to blow in cooler room temperature air to move the hot air out of the area beneath the 8800 card.

Even with the case door off the computer I noted that the area beneath the 8800 still built up a good deal of heat compared to the rest of the computer. Adding these two fans has since removed that hot air. I use a cooking thermometer inserted near where the fans are (when the fans were NOT there) to show me the temps in that area of the case, and they were a whole lot higher there then the rest of the case.

[​IMG]
    As a side note: I find it interesting that my camera was able to stop the fans while in motion. Those suckas are spinning fast, but the camera was able to stop them pretty sharply instead of a blur.

Last edited: May 29, 2007
  12. MR.BONES

MR.BONES Master Guru

GPU:
    xfx6850
    Well im sorry to report there no changes in my temps only ambient temps went down a hair not even worth metioning,Looks like ill have to go with case blower:thumbdown Was fun trying something new:cheers:

13. Jalida

Jalida Member

GPU:
    BFG 8800GTS OC 320mb
    What about removing the stock fan from the card and putting in a higher speed (and something that pushes substantially more air) onto the card through the use of a funnel type system. Perhaps using a 120mm fan attached to a funnel that attaches to the opening of where the stock fan sits now, this should increase the volumne of air across the cooling fins and lower the teperatures I would think.

If I had the means to create the funnel out of cardboard (prototype) or plastic, I'd give it a shot to see what it does, however I don't have the skills necessary to produce such a thing.

[​IMG]

14. darrenj

darrenj Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 3080
    Interesting formula, but wouldn't the horizontal fan defeat the approach? A vertical fan can bring a higher mass of cooler air than a horizontal one, or? Can this be then force fed on to the gpu core via a diagonal funnel or some other permutation? :pc1:

15. darrenj

darrenj Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 3080
    Juat ran a test of 3dmarks06 with my system on high profile clock (via rivatuner) my temperature on full load (rivatuner monitors) was a steady 65 to 67. With my standing internal 120mm everflow fan.
    Considering my overclocking of 650/2118, I am pleased with that load temp.

16. Jalida

Jalida Member

GPU:
    BFG 8800GTS OC 320mb
    You've lost me on this one...

The only thing my pea sized brain can see that would improve this would be to make a duct all the way out to the opening in a side case so that it constantly draws in cooler room temperature air (sort of like a ram duct system on a car) instead of drawing in already heated air inside of the case.

The other possibility however would be to increase one side of the funnel so that the angle of the fan is more in line with the line of the card itself so that when the air blows in, it has a somewhat more straight pattern of air flow. The way that it works now I believe is that the stock fan sucks air in, and blows it sideways down the line of the card, whereas using a funnel with a larger fan would blow the air straight into the oppening where it would hit the wall and then have to spread out in all directions possibly causing less efficiency of air flow.

I may have to just try to slap together some kind of cardboard funnel system and use the existing fan and make it so that the stock fan can only get air from outside of the computer case and see if this makes any difference. I would have to imagine that it would since the temperature where my computer is stored is kept about 76-78f all the time, and the air that is already in the case is substantially warmer then that and even though I have two 80mm fans blowing in room temp air to that area where the 8800 is located it's still mixing with the case air which means it's not getting the coldest air possible where a duct work all the way to where it can only use the room temp air should at the very least drop a couple degrees off of the temperature of the card. I WOULD GUESS.

17. G3nerator

G3nerator Member

GPU:
    EVGA 8800GTX @ 650/2000
    i removed plastic cover and got one more cooler on top of heatsink
    it was before i've got thermalright heatsink.
    [​IMG]

18. KoeiNL

KoeiNL Active Member

GPU:
    GTX260 ssc
    Generator, what kind of temp drops did you got from running it like that?

19. chispy

chispy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 4090

Thats great , I have done the same as you and it does helps a lot.:thumbup:

20. G3nerator

G3nerator Member

GPU:
    EVGA 8800GTX @ 650/2000
    around 15 degrees lower if you compare to setup without that fan on top of heatsink....
    as i said i had to remove plastic cover to fit this card in my rig.
    and had no chance to get a temps with cover on. but i compared to temps without cover and without additional fan to temps with that fan on top.
    i came up with idea and it worked better than stock solution ;)
    but now i run thermalright heatsink which works even better :D