8800 gtx or two 8800 GT's ?

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by mp1434, Nov 3, 2007.

1. mp1434

mp1434 Member Guru

GPU:
    Palit GTX 460 Sonic Plat
    I was wondering what would be better performance wise between a 8800 GTX and two 8800 GT's in SLI. Things to consider, i am running windows vista ultimate and i heard SLI doesnt work so good on vista. I want to be able to rung games like crysis on DX10 with a playable frame rate. I hope you guys can help me out because I'm a bit of a n00b when it comes to stuff like this.

2. grimsanta

grimsanta Master Guru

GPU:
    8800GTS 640MB @ 575/1750
    2x8800gt's. They are somewhere between the current gts and the gtx in performance, however, a vanilla overclock to 700mhz core quickly puts them at gtx level performance.

3. mp1434

mp1434 Member Guru

GPU:
    Palit GTX 460 Sonic Plat
    But are there any current problems with vista and sli?

4. Grahf

Grahf Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI N580GTX Lightning
    1x 8800GT has the potential to beat an 800GTX; no need for SLI.

5. Dustpuppy

Dustpuppy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    integrated - fffffffuuuuu
    I wouldn't expect to beat a GTX with a GT, now two on the other hand will outperform by about 20-50% if they're properly configured. (and the application actually works in sli)

That said a GT will beat a GTS at the moment. Expect the GTS to be revised soon.

6. MikeMK

MikeMK Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x RTX 2080Ti SLI
  7. Dustpuppy

Dustpuppy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    integrated - fffffffuuuuu
    Yeah the real question is:

Which is better 2 GTXs or 4 GTs :eek:ver:

8. mp1434

mp1434 Member Guru

GPU:
    Palit GTX 460 Sonic Plat
    Two GT's looking like the way to go atm. One last question. Do you guys think SLI is worth it? Do you think enough games support it to make it useful?

9. Roger_D25

Roger_D25 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Strix GTX980Ti
    I literally just learned of the performance of this 8800GT (before today I just assumed it wasn't anything to get excited about)! I've gone through many reviews and I'm truly amazed at this thing, especially when you have two of them! With that said mp1434 I'm not exaclty sure what the best thing to do is? The only problem with SLI 8800GT's over a single GTX is all the SLI problems with games/Vista. Granted these problems continue to work themselves out but I'm pretty sure SLI still has driver/compatibility issues at the moment (please put me straight if I'm wrong though guys).

The other thing to consider is this, once you have 2x 8800GT in SLI it will probably be faster than a single GTX but there isn't much room for improvment after that (well except for Quad SLI but it's still a bit off in the distance). If you got a single GTX the performance is still very good and you have the option to go SLI with 2x GTX cards which will clearly be much faster than 2x 8800GT's in SLI? Plus I think that the cost of GTX cards will continue to come down. Just my two cents, but again I'm truly amazed at the performance of this card. Certainly the best "bang for the buck" out right now, hands down! Keep us posted on what you do!

10. mp1434

mp1434 Member Guru

GPU:
    Palit GTX 460 Sonic Plat
    You make some very good points I'm now starting to think that I should just get another 8800 GTX and put that in SLI. What do you guys think?

11. MikeMK

MikeMK Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x RTX 2080Ti SLI
    Oh, well yes definatley if u already have one GTX I dont see the point in switching to SLI GT's. SLI GTX's will still be faster!

12. mp1434

mp1434 Member Guru

GPU:
    Palit GTX 460 Sonic Plat
    When buying a second 8800 GTX how exact do the cards need to be to work in SLI?

13. Crossfire

Crossfire Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HIS Radeon HD 4670 1GB
    I don't know much about SLI, but I know that I saw a pic of a SLI rig that had eVGA and BFG 8800GTXs in SLI and they worked fine.

14. Roger_D25

Roger_D25 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Strix GTX980Ti
    Mike can verify this but I think the cards just need to be running the same BIOS? So you could run an eVGA and a XFX as long as you flashed them both to the same BIOS. I guess ideally you would want to run two of the same card (make and model so to speak but it doesn't really matter).

15. MikeMK

MikeMK Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x RTX 2080Ti SLI
    Not any more Roger. U can use any 2 cards together so long as they are both GTX's. Im running a BFG and an MSI with different bioses and have no problems with it.

16. mp1434

mp1434 Member Guru

GPU:
    Palit GTX 460 Sonic Plat
    Thanks for all your help guys I think I'm gonna go with a extra GTX for now. Thanks again :)

17. eynmyn

eynmyn Master Guru

you made a smart decision

since you already have one gtx it makes more sense to buy another anyway cost you less.1 gtx with rebate you can get under 500 but two gt will run you more look at the gt prices cheapest one is like what 289 at newegg.but unless you plan on selling the gtx after you buy the gt and get a good price for it than you would be saving big money.oooooooooooooooooooooh the dilemma

18. eynmyn

eynmyn Master Guru

redo

i wouldnt sell my gtx less than 300 this way you can just fork over just another 300 and have two gt.if you decided to sell less than 300 i dont see a big savings.

19. mp1434

mp1434 Member Guru

GPU:
    Palit GTX 460 Sonic Plat
    That's what i was thinking at first. Sell my GTX for a minimum of £300 and with that money buy two GT's for £350. So i would only be spending another £50 rather than another £400. I just wondering would a 600W PSU be enough to power to GT's?

20. plac

plac Master Guru

GPU:
    (2) BFG 8800 GT 512MB in SLI