8800 GTS XFX Alpha dog will not work on my system!

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by Johnny Blanco, Apr 18, 2008.

1. Johnny Blanco

Johnny Blanco New Member

Ok here's the deal,

I currently have a 8800 GTS 320mb EVGA card in my system right now and the system I have is a E6600 processor, 2gb of ram and a ECS PT890T-A mb. So no problems so far right?

Well my roommate got a new computer and he wanted to sell the old one but he would let me take out the XFX 8800GTS 512mb Alpha Dog edition and put it in my machine.. right? Sounds pretty good don't it?

It's not.

I plug it in and I get NO monitor signal whatsoever.. but here's the kicker.. I though the card was damaged.. nope.. plug it back into his HP A1450N unit.. and it boots right up! What the hell! Is something not set right in the bios that won't let me use THAT card or does my MB just NOT support that card even tho it is backwards compatible?

Help me out here please I am :bang: thanks

2. morbias

morbias Don TazeMeBro Staff Member

GPU:
    -
  3. Zooze

Zooze Master Guru

GPU:
    Palit GTX465 1Gb Dual Fan
    First thing I would do is go to the ECS website and get the latest bios for your machine.

4. proFits

proFits Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080
    I agree with above

Don't forget to make sure your PSU can cope with the load (pretty sure it can)
    Verify the PCI-e connector works and is correctly plugged in (try another one maybe)
    And update the bios of your Mobo

if this fails give us a call back

5. Johnny Blanco

Johnny Blanco New Member

That's just it.. I tried to update the bios thru ECS.. and when I flash it .. it says..Error file rom ID incorrect.

HOWEVER.. I just ran PC wizard and I noticed something.

It says the chipset is VIA P4M890 I don't think that's the right type.. and NOW I know why I can't flash to that version. So what do I do here folks? the damn bios that's on this board is from 2006.. we need to get that updated.. pronto.

6. Zooze

Zooze Master Guru

GPU:
    Palit GTX465 1Gb Dual Fan
    Can you get the complete name and vendor of the board along with the bios version your currently running. You should be able to get this information from the POST screen (if the POST screen goes by too quickly then set in the bios to NOT do a quick POST).

7. jimmor

jimmor Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA8800GTS 512Mb
    Just like what happened with 8800gt 512Mb cards, your 8800gts "no-boot" problem probably exists simply because you have a mobo with a "VIA" PCI-E generation 1 chipset!

And just like for the 8800gt 512Mb card, your solution lies with flashing your 8800gts 512Mb with one of the newer properly "upgraded" bioses (eg, Ver 62.92.25.xx.xx series) ---> which hopefully you can find at the XFX website?

Or failing that, the next best thing is to probably flash your XFX 8800gts with something like the EVGA 8800gts Version 62.92.25.00.02 bios, which can be got from the link below ?

http://www.mvktech.net/component/op...id,2456/chk,a9a85bb18b51fb84e060058f40900677/

;)

Last edited: Apr 18, 2008
  8. Johnny Blanco

Johnny Blanco New Member

AMIBIOS 2005
    ECS PT890T-A Release Date 11/22/06

From system information about the bios
    American Megatrends Inc 080013 11/22/06

SMBios 2.3

9. Johnny Blanco

Johnny Blanco New Member

How do i flash the bios on it tho? please help.. I have no idea what I am supposed to do.. I got the file but there's nothing in it other than a bios file and such..

10. TurboPenguin

TurboPenguin Member

GPU:
    EVGA GTX480 SC
    Johnny,

I think the best solution for you is to contact tech support with the vendor of the graphics card in question and troubleshoot with them. Because if you flash your BIOS improperly you can destroy your card... So don't flash your bios, call the vendor and have them walk you through the process to fix this problem.

11. Johnny Blanco

Johnny Blanco New Member

The vendor so far has been of NO help.. XFX is a f-ing lousy company..

12. jimmor

jimmor Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA8800GTS 512Mb
    Maybe, get a roommate to flash it in their computer ?

Flash the bios in DOS using nvflash.exe v5.57 (or v5.63), using following procedure,

nvflash -r (removes any protection)

nvflash -b ORIGBIOS.ROM (saves original bios as a backup)

nvflash -i0 -4 -5 -6 BIOSNAME.ROM (flash new bios file)

Because of DOS filenaming restrictions, the filenames you decide to use for "ORIGBIOS.ROM" and "BIOSNAME.ROM" must have no more than 8 char's in first part of filename and no more than 3 char's in extender part, otherwise DOS will not recognise the command !

:)

Last edited: Apr 19, 2008