8800 GTS works in one machine but not another???

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by Kingotnw, Aug 21, 2009.

1. Kingotnw

Kingotnw Active Member

GPU:
    VisionTek Radeon HD 5850
    Hi everyone. As the title says, my GTS 8800 works in one machine but not another. It has been running fine for quite some time. The other day I noticed some flicker, but since it stopped I let it go. This morning I go to turn on my machine and the monitor is getting no signal. I disconnect all power and try to turn it on again but still no signal. I am not hearing the intro windows music either so its obviously not booting up.

I then take a card out of one of my other machines and put it in and presto, signal and functioning computer. Ok... For fun I stuck the card I took out of the first machine into the second to see what would happen and it booted up... Signal and all... I switched them back and forth three times and it keeps happening. I have no idea what could cause this as I have never even heard of it.

The only difference in in connection between the machines is that the first on has a true DVI cord, while the second one (the one the card works in) is a VGA cord with a DVI adapter at the end.

Anyone have any suggestions???

Windows Vista 32 (actually going to update to WIn7 RC in about 5 minutes)
    Intel Core 2 Duo @ 2.40
    Nvidia 8800GTS
    2 gig Mushkin DDR2 800 (PC2-6400) @ 400 MHz
    Intel D975XBX2 MoBo

Last edited: Aug 21, 2009
  2. dukedave5200

dukedave5200 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    BFG GTX 285 OCX - SLI
    As a pure guess, some of the lanes on that slot are fried? Have a different pcie slot on that computer?

3. Kingotnw

Kingotnw Active Member

GPU:
    VisionTek Radeon HD 5850
    No, just the one. But even if that were the case, why would one card work in the slot and not another?

4. dukedave5200

dukedave5200 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    BFG GTX 285 OCX - SLI
    what the other card a 8800? If it's an older card maybe it's using less lanes? Does the other card require the same power connections?

I don't profess to know how that works... Just a guess... But it still sounds like a motherboard issue... Possibly power related but not sure what you have going on there.

5. Kingotnw

Kingotnw Active Member

GPU:
    VisionTek Radeon HD 5850
    The card I have in here now is a PNY 8800GT. A little less of a clock speed and a little less RAM. PSU is an NZXT 500W PSU. As far as I know the architecture of the card itself should be identical, just less power.

p.s. Did the windows 7 install and its considerably better than Vista.