8800 GT 'outperforming' GTX 260?

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by m4rcus, Apr 13, 2010.

1. traft

traft Member Guru

GPU:
    Asus Strix RTX 3080
    While it's not hard evidence given you would have to have a tool to directly read you watts being used. But if you go to nvidia's site under products>geforce you can choose GTX 260 and that will bring up a page, on that page under specifications tab scroll to the bottom it states the recommended watts should be 500. As for life span of a PSU guess that would depend on the maker, mines is from Antec and I've had it for about 4-5 years and it's still going strong.

2. demm

demm Master Guru

GPU:
    8600GTS
    Like said before, depends on the manufacturer.

Getting a more powerful PSU will ensure, that it will stay stay up to the task even with a lot of wear and tear. Someone before also mentioned capacitor degeneration and that's the thing. No point in buying a psu, that just fits the recommended requirements, it's better to go a bit higher with the psu, to ensure future proofness.

So, as many said, you should defo borrow from someone a more powerful psu and try that with your card, if it's still giving bad performance, then it's the card I guess...

Also:

3. Shadowdane

Shadowdane Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 3080 Suprim
    Actually I wouldn't be surprised if the card is down-clocking itself. When my Antec 500W power supply started to give out under my new GTX260, my card would drop to Low Power 3D clocks when it was stressed. I'd guess the card does this when it detects its not getting enough juice to run at the faster clockspeed?

The difference in performance from Low Power 3D to Full Power 3D clocks is pretty big!

You could run RivaTuner to monitor the clock speeds while running a game to see what it is doing. Or use EVGA Percision if you have an Evga card as it can display all that on the OSD.

4. m4rcus

m4rcus Active Member

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 460
    Your card did? Thats what i hoped for, ppl with experience with this frack. Thanks. Now you said it, i didnt monitor it in the games with problems, just with furmark... and that seemed very well.
    Guess ill test it with games that suck performance wise.

btw could anyone suggest a nice psu? im stuck in between

Enermax PRO82+ II 525W
    Cooler Master Silent Pro M600, 600W
    or the be quiet Straight Power 580W

all those three are around 80€ here, wont pay any more.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2010

5. demm

demm Master Guru

GPU:
    8600GTS
    Yeah, I've had experience with card down clocking itself, when it's not receiving enough power, but usually you get a message that say's that cards running on lower clocks because of not enough oomph! But that was because I accidently forgot to plug in the 6 pin power plug on my old card.

Could you give us the link from where you looked at those psu's, so we could maybe suggest another psu, that's good for the money and is in your budget range...

6. m4rcus

m4rcus Active Member

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 460
  7. gold_heart007

gold_heart007 Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX N560Ti TwinFrozr2
    Go with CoolerMaster SilentPro series. Its comparatively more silent, boasts better Rail distributions and along with 80 plus certification.
    If possible, do search for these :
    1. Corsair HX Series
    2. ThermalTake ToughPower Series

8. demm

demm Master Guru

GPU:
    8600GTS
    Last edited: Apr 13, 2010
  9. m4rcus

m4rcus Active Member

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 460
    Any idea why i get like 2000points more with a slightly newer driver in Furmark?
    Or let me say, 2000points less with a slightly older one, because it seems the higher score is normal for my setup and those drivers arent out THAT long.

Screenshots: 196.21 - 197.25

although i get like more frame drops with the 196.21. My problem here is that it seems to be the last driver i can set my fan at 25% on a driver level.

10. tanner2

tanner2 New Member

GPU:
    bfg gtx 260 512k
    I just got a bfg gtx 260 2 days ago. It took a day of searching to find out it has a power saving feature and down clocks to 300/100/i don't remember but i went in and changed physx gpu to disabled and it now stays at rated speed. I have a 500w ocz psu, the card is rated for 38a on 12v but that is using a quad core at 135w and card won't use for watts until full load.

oh i use it to foldd with gpu2 and everyday surfing no problem

11. m4rcus

m4rcus Active Member

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 460
    You lost me at 'changed physX'.

12. tanner2

tanner2 New Member

GPU:
    bfg gtx 260 512k
    I type slooow so, I found it was called a few things depending on manufacturer, my card came with nvidea control panel and when it opens ther is a 3d setting on the left click on set physx and next window shows disable or enable. it was frustrating because googling it found nothing to speak of on it

13. tanner2

tanner2 New Member

GPU:
    bfg gtx 260 512k
    then i have gpu-z that made sure that it had gone from 300/100 to 590/999/1296. I also came from a 8800gt 256k

14. TheHunter

TheHunter Banned

GPU:
    MSi N570GTX TFIII [OC|PE]
    he meant that here in the pic,
    [​IMG]
    but i doubt it.. just get new psu like everyone else suggested and you're good to go.

15. m4rcus

m4rcus Active Member

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 460
    Ah, you mean for a Performance boost.. i just didnt get your point.
    Nah that doesnt change anything but thanks.

I am going to buy a new one, im just not yet sure which one.
    If its here i keep you posted if it changed my problem.

16. TheHunter

TheHunter Banned

GPU:
    i would chose one of these 3,.. all 3 are good for what they offer

Gigabyte SuperB 720W ATX 2.3 (GE-P610A-C2)
    http://geizhals.at/deutschland/a354723.html

LC-Power LC8850 Metatron Arkangel 850W ATX 2.2
    http://geizhals.at/deutschland/a227424.html

be quiet Straight Power 600W ATX 2.3 (E7-600W/BN117)
    http://geizhals.at/deutschland/a467107.html

17. m4rcus

m4rcus Active Member

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 460
    Yeah i just ordered the

be quiet Straight Power 580W ATX 2.3 (E7-CM-580W/BN122)
    AND
    Cooler Master Silent Pro M600, 600W ATX 2.3 (RS-600-AMBA)

Reading different userposts blaming them for beeing not that silent or pieping, or what do i know for sounds. Now you posted the be quiet Straight Power 600W ATX 2.3 (E7-600W/BN117), is there any difference between the two be quit's aside from the 20W and the cablemanagement? I just read tests about the 580W one, no idea about the 600W.. and i cant get **** out of german forums because their attention span is like one of one-day-flys.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2010
  18. TheHunter

TheHunter Banned

GPU:
    why ordered 2?

if you must them go with be quiet 600w, anything lower isnt worth it and with at least 3 12v rails of total 50-60a or its not worth it either..

19. m4rcus

m4rcus Active Member

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 460
    Because i wanna test them myself. I can return one of them in the first 14days withouth even paying on Amazon. Its harder to get a hand full of usefull forumreplys in german boards than dodging rain in a blizzard.

I hoped for ppl who actually had experience with those PSU's so i can choose the better (more silent) one. Now ill do it on my own ^^.

20. m4rcus

m4rcus Active Member

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 460
    Wow, it seems it really IS the PSU.
    I just played Assassins Creed2 a little and guess what, screen turned black, the GPU fan went like 100% and the pc turned off. From the looks of my GPU-Z logs the temps seem okay, this was the first time this ever happened to my system.
    This is the first time ive played that long with my gtx260 as well as my 8800gt kept getting better minimum fps and a smoother gameplay.

[​IMG]

what catched my eye is that at exactly 70°C GPU temp the sensors keep missing out at random points, what i think is pretty much strange because i could stresstest the hell out of the gpu with furmark all day long and ive already passed those 70°.
    I came to blv that it happened because not only my gpu was stressed out but my cpu as well, at least i hope thats why. thats all i can do and guess for now, tomorrow ill know more with the new psu.

Edit: aaand another thing cought my attantion just now:

[​IMG]

the numbers on the left side are from wikipedia, the ones in the middle from CPUID hardware monitor and the right ones from everest. Like i said as for now i cant compare those numbers to another psu but i would like to know if thats normal.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2010