8800 GT 'outperforming' GTX 260?

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by m4rcus, Apr 13, 2010.

1. m4rcus

m4rcus Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 460
    Hi Gurus.

As my 8800GT gets to its borders i have gotten myself a 'new' GTX 260 and with that one some problems.
    After i put in the 260 GTX and did the usual driver reinstall i started benchmarking.
    3dMark06 and Vantage seems to be alright with what i can find on the net.

But there are benchmarks and there are games. so i ran through some games and tested them afterwards even with FRAPS to proof my feeling.

Just Cause 2 is the only game that feels right with this new piece of hardware as it goot a nice boost overall.

Assassins Creed 2 shows another face, here the gtx 260 performs even worse than the 8800 gt even in average FPS.

Bad Company 2 as my most played game at the moment, and i would even say the reason i bought this card as i wanted to play in DX10 because DX10 eats up alot more performance. With my 8800GT and my BC2 Settings.ini the game hardly drops under 70fps in a 32player online game.
    with my gtx 260 i get like 40% higher maxfps but on the downside it drops in the 30's too.

Furmark 1.8 started with some problems first as my 8800gt did like 2700points and my gtx260 just got 2800'ish but that seemed to be driver related and is fixes so now im at 4700~ points. I can stability test my rig all day long in xteme burning mode, so no problems there with my PSU.

I tryed different driver versions like 197.25, 196.21 and 197.13 with no change but in furmark scores.
    i did disable the energysaving setting i the driver and set it to go always all out in 3d apps.
    And of course i watched my GPU usage, it goes up to 95% in nearly every game.

At first i thought it is my old PSU bottlenecking but i was taught that it shouldnt be possible as my pc would shut down, freeze or just anything other than performing slow. (Please proof me wrong as it is my only hope at the moment for this card.. i really dont know where to look else)

my specs:

PSU: Enermax EG465AX-VE...450W (it hasnt any 6pin connector so im using 2 adapters with separated cable strings.
    GPU Asus 8800GT @666/1600/925 || Palit GTX 260² Sonic stock @625/1242/1100 (i did overclock if, with no difference in my problem)
    Board: MSI 790FX-GD70
    Memory: 2x 2GB OCZ Reaper @1333Mhz

All parts are as free from dust as they could be, all themperatures are okay, my cpu never goes beyond 50° both GPUs wont even touch like 70° and the rest is okay too.

'So whats your problem? Everything looks god, the gtx 260 isnt that much faster as the 8800gt and your futurmark scores look okey!' get lost! ;<<
    My problem is that it cant be that the gtx is dropping way below the minimum fps i get with my 8800gt in nearly every game though i get more average fps.
    Performing even worse in Assassins creed 2 and cant handle bad company 2 with settings higher as i have them at the moment with my 8800gt

If there is information missing to help you help me just tell me and i will get you that.
    Im really looking forward to your help here.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2010
  2. demm

demm Master Guru

GPU:
    8600GTS
    Umm... You need at least a 500/550W psu for GTX260. And your psu not having any 6 pin connector doesn't help one bit... But it's all about the amperage on psu's.

How old is your psu? As I can see you've got your cpu oc'd as well. Right now, I'm thinking, that the psu is the issue here.

3. mrmonsoon

mrmonsoon Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus 7870+2509M+2511X
    +1

I also think your initial issue is power.

You need a bigger power supply and need to put the extra power plugs on the card it self.

4. TheHunter

TheHunter Banned

GPU:
    MSi N570GTX TFIII [OC|PE]
    im betting on psu too, it looks to weak..

5. m4rcus

m4rcus Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 460

It must have a couple of years on it. It has 33A on 12v, ive read on another thread here that it should more than enough. but like i said, give me some kind of proof and i head out, buy a new psu and i will test it. but i wont buy a new one just because i think it should be the psu because its "old".. nah better, because someone (no offense, really) on the internet tells me its to old. where i live there wont grow any money on the trees. ^^
    thanks for the quick answar.

Edit: as i saw the second one telling me its the psu too, is it even possible? i wont doubt your word its just im told many things, and the majority is saying if it was the psu the pc would crash/freeze/shutdown. Are there tests for something like this? x_X

Last edited: Apr 13, 2010
  6. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    Well considering my 192SP GTX260, says on the box 500W and 36A on the 12v, then i don't know why someone told you that 33A was more than enough, when it clearly isn't enough.

Have you tryed Furmark to stress test it?

7. m4rcus

m4rcus Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 460
    yep, i did.

8. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    Ah, sorry, missed that, even though it was bolded:bang:

It just doesn't look the PSU is powerful enough, but the only way to know would be test it, is there no one you could borrow a more powerful PSU from?

I went from an 8800GT to a GTX260 and it was a quite noticeable difference in all games, you could try older drivers like the 180 series, or even a new Windows install, but if there is no change after that, then it is either the PSU or a duff card.

9. m4rcus

m4rcus Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 460
    No problem.
    I thought about bying one at our internet shops where i got my 14days right of withdrawal but im not able until the first of the upcoming month so i got enough much time to test this card. But a fresh install is the last thing im going to do because my 8800gt is just running fine with the rest of the system and im a "driver cleaner" type on driverchanges.. there really shouldnt be the problem, i guess.
    Hope the card itself isnt broken, that would be pretty much troublesome. :eek:

10. Iggyblack

Iggyblack Guest

GPU:
    PNY GTX 960 1330/1790
    same here, went from an 8800GT to a gtx 260 and performance boost was very noticeable.

11. m4rcus

m4rcus Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 460
    if its really the PSU wouldnt it be wiser to buy a fracking radeon 5830 for 200€ with less consumption than now getting a psu for like 80€ plus the gtx 260 i could easily sell for like 130€ on ebay.. i mean wtf my psu works WELL with my 8800gt...
    why are new psu's so damn pricey..

12. avivoni

avivoni Ancient Guru

GPU:
    560ti 448 classified
    new gpus need more juice thats just the way things are(with great power comes great energy requirements). if you had done your homework before buying you would have known and probably had gotten that 5830 u mention. then u come and ask for support and say you wont do what is recomended by several people trying to help you because you need proof? there is no proof but only numbers. and clearly your psu is below the recomended specs on the GPU box. now this might be the issue or it might not, but if you dont eliminate it from the possibilities you will never know, and then what would be the point of asking if your not willing to listen.

13. m4rcus

m4rcus Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 460
    wooooow, did somebody see the hate-train? phew.

First off, my psu has always done a great job. The gtx 260 doesnt even take THAT much more power as my oc'ed 8800gt. Plus, i never wanted to spend that much money to begin with and i dont even know if the idea with the 5830 would work, it was just another question. my system should use like 350watts under 3D performance.. and i got like.. lemme look at my first post.. 450W! If you always buy what companys put on something they sell you end up on the streets you know.

Ah and for the record, i didnt say im not going to try a new psu? If im not mistaken i even wrote the opposite. So why dont you hop in your hate-train and get out of here?

14. gehtfuct

gehtfuct Member Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX260 756/1512/1161
    Your PSU probably has enough watts but not enough of dem amps

15. avivoni

avivoni Ancient Guru

GPU:
    560ti 448 classified
    its your issue m8. do as you wish.

16. GhostXL

GhostXL Guest

GPU:
    PNY EPIC-X RTX 4090
    Not dissing your PSU M4rcus, but just because the card may meet he minimum power requirements of your PSU in wattage, it does not mean its getting the juice.

You have to look at amps on the 12 volt lines etc.

I'm 110% sure you should look into a new PSU, or if you really want, try another card that requires less juice.

But just so you know, you can't just look at wattage and say its going to work.

You must must must...take in mind the 12v amps.

17. SolidBladez

SolidBladez Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti OC
    What resolution are you running at?

18. m4rcus

m4rcus Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 460
    1680x1050.

Thanks for your answer GhostXL, i think i thought 33A would be enough on my 12V but seems new PSU's have like more than one 12v line. I somewhere read even if they say like 20A per line its not 20+20 but they share from one pool.
    Figured that article was a little old. Im just hoping someone shows up whos experienced kinda the same problem and tells me the all helping solution.. ^^

19. JEskandari

JEskandari Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3060 (95w)
    I jumped from a 8800 GTS 640 to a GTC260 216sp I can assure you the increase in performance was noticeable .
    and about PSU I had to change the PSU because after installing the new card just entering the 3d mode made the PSU fan go high speed because of the heat produced
    in PSU while providing enough Power.

another thing you must consider is that you said your PSU is several year old. the problem with old PSU is that their Capacitors begin to degenerate (in some case sooner in some case later) and the result would be producing lesser power than whats stated on the label.

20. m4rcus

m4rcus Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 460
    Now that is a point, thanks for the answer. Next question to that is, how long is the average lifespawn of a PSU? :\ *googles*