8800 GT driver bug?

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by terrypin, Dec 26, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. terrypin

terrypin New Member

GPU:
    Geoforce/8800GT/512MB
    Hi, first post for some years.

My XP (SP3) PC uses an 8800 GT with 512 MB. The driver version I have been using for several years is 306.3. I've recently started getting a BSOD when using my video editor to export an MP4.

[Link would be here for a trusted poster.]

I'm apparently not allowed to post links or images until I've posted 5 posts! Not an intelligent constraint IMO. OK, I'll repeat the post later after trying to score a few more brownie points. Meanwhile it won't make much sense.

As you see, it points to nv4_disp.dll as the probable culprit. Presumably something has changed, but I can't fathom what. However, I have had several hard crashes apart from the BSOD, mainly when using my video editor (Movie Edit Pro 2014) so maybe that's another possible cause.

After much research I found this article about the BSOD and followed its instructions to download a replacement nv4_disp.dll file.

[Link would be here for a trusted poster.]

That seems to have allowed me to succeed with the export on the one occasion I've tried. But I'm left with some questions which I hope the experts here can answer please:

1. How can a DLL be replaced by one less than half the size?

2. This screenshot was taken shortly after the successful export, yet the file has somehow become the original again!

3. Has this bug (if that's what it is) been fixed in more recent versions of the driver?

4. Which version is recommended for a user like me, no games but some intensive video editing/rendering?

5. Why are there so many apparent duplicates of this file, and at least two sizes?

6. Can I expect another similar export to work, or have I got to replace the DLL with the small substitute again? (This is typically a 3 hour run, so not keen to repeat lightly without being confident it won't cause a BSOD again.)

Any advice would be warmly appreciated please.

Terry, East Grinstead, UK

2. Glidefan

Glidefan Don Booze Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX 1070 | 8600M GS
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.