8800 GT Cover removal

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by northo, Dec 14, 2010.

1. northo

northo Member Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTS 450
    Hey guys, haven't been on for a long time.
    I'm trying to clean dust out of the 8800gt card, but I seem to have trouble removing the cover. This picture shows what card I have.

Even though I found these some kind of small lines on the sides, I tried to see if they could remove the cover but it doesn't seem like it. :nerd:

There are a lot of dust in the cover, but I can't take it off.

Thanks.

2. Um...TE

Um...TE Member

GPU:
    Nvidia 8800 GT
    I tried to remove that cover this morning, to no avail. I pried like hell at it. I did remove the entire heat sink, cover and all, and cleaned up the thermal pads and re-greased the GPU (it was a god awful mess).

The best I could do was blow compressed air up the slots (near the monitor connectors) and pick the bust bunnies out of the fan.

That cover is snapped into the heat sink plate pretty darn well. I don't think it's mechanically connected any other way, though.

3. H83

H83 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX Black 6950XT
    Let´s see if i remember how i removed the stock cooler to replace it for a custom one right so i can be of some help to you Northo.

First, you have to unscrew all the small screws under the PCB with a small screw driver. Then you have to remove 2 screws on the backplate, if i remember correctly and then you have to loosen some silver "gramps" (don´t know the correct word) on the side of the plastic cover, you have them highlighted on the second picture. And lastly pull the cover firmly to remove the cooler. Don´t use too much force to make sure you don´t brake anything.

I think that´s how you remove the cooler.

Hope this helps.