8770K max turbo boost question

Discussion in 'Processors and motherboards Intel' started by wsarahan, Feb 26, 2018.

1. wsarahan

wsarahan Master Guru

GPU:
    Evga Titan X SLI
    Hi guys how are you?

I`m planning to buy a 8770k , today i have a 4770k running at 4.6

To use the 8770k at the 4.7 that is the max turbo boost all the time do i need to change anything? Or i just need to set the mult to 47 and do not touch anything else?

Thanks everyone

2. sverek

sverek Guest

GPU:
    NOVIDIA -0.5GB
    I'd recommend just to set performance mode in UEFI and see if it enough for you. That should enable turbo mode and other performance features that motherboard provide.
    Keep in mind that turbo mode @ 4.7 is only affecting 1 core. See wiki for turbo speed details:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coffee_Lake#Desktop_processors

Just to be sure, you not forgetting motherboard and DDR4 RAM, right?

wsarahan likes this.
  3. wsarahan

wsarahan Master Guru

GPU:
    Evga Titan X SLI
    I didn`t know that i was only i core that was set to 4.7

Do you think worth a chanmge from my current 4770k @ 4.6 and 1080TI @ 2050 to a 8770k? I use for gaming 90% of the time

4. sverek

sverek Guest

GPU:
    NOVIDIA -0.5GB
    If you gaming on 144hz panel, and your CPU can't reach 144fps, yes it might be worth to change.

Otherwise, I don't think it would be worth it.

5. MaCk0y

MaCk0y Maha Guru

GPU:
    4090 ICHILL BLACK
    Motherboard vendors provide a 'multi-core enhancement' setting in the BIOS which basically sets the single core 4.7GHz turbo frequency on all cores instead, effectively an automatic overclock (although I would watch out for the vcore voltage the BIOS sets). On some motherboards it might be enabled by default which caused some controversy for the 8700K reviews.

6. Kolt

Kolt Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 OC
    Be careful with the Asus multi-core enhancement setting (if it's Asus), as it greatly increased my vcore and gave me temp issues until I manually overclocked my system and set the voltages myself. The multi-core enhancement takes the standard Intel Turbo Boost function but applies it to all cores, problem is when the motherboard manufacturer overshoots the voltage requirements on auto. This is probably not just a problem with Asus.. so I would just recommend you keep an eye out on your temps and go from there. Manually overclock if you can and want to get more out of your system, and then just completely disable the multi-core enhancement would be optimal.

7. Guru01

Guru01 Master Guru

GPU:
    nVIDIA RTX 2080
    If you want to keep your i7 8700k at 4.7GHz, you need to set the multi to 47 and disable c-state. That's done in the bios, then boot up and go into the os and put the power plan to max performance.