8700K OC temp opinion

Discussion in 'Die-hard Overclocking & Case Modifications' started by nosirrahx, Feb 26, 2018.

1. nosirrahx

nosirrahx Master Guru

GPU:
    HD7700
    So I took the plunge and delidded a 8700K. Looking around the various forums I am getting a lot of inconsistent opinions about acceptable temps so I figured I would ask here to see what you guys think.

The setup is a Z370 Taichi, 8700K delid with liquid metal and a H115i for cooling.

Bios is 1.30, OC is 4.8 on all 6 cores and only voltage change is core/cache -> offset 120 mV.

Under load I get between 60C and 65C on the individual cores using CPUZ stress (if there is a better tool let me know).

I have seen opinions online ranging from 60C being high to 70C being 100% fine so I would love a 2nd opinion.

2. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 FE H20
    Yes 60-70c is fine in benchmark/stress.

Under gaming loads temps will be much less than that.

Dragam1337 and nosirrahx like this.
  3. nosirrahx

nosirrahx Master Guru

GPU:
    HD7700
    Figured as much, thanks.

4. Lex Luthor

Lex Luthor Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060
    About to build a rig myself and curious why the Intel spec Tj max of 100C isn't considered? I've always ran (bench load) about 10C under that max. And have fun with that nice CPU :)

5. nosirrahx

nosirrahx Master Guru

GPU:
    HD7700
    What I don't understand is why Intel does not release another tier above 8700K (call it the 8750K or whatever) where they bin the CPUs and solder the IHS.

Look at what the silicon lottery site charges for more or less the same service. Intel is handing profit off to a 3rd party in exchange for reviewers criticizing their CPUs for running hot.

Dragam1337 likes this.
  6. ocsystem

ocsystem Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD 6600xt
    By the way what stress test did you use for stability??
    most of the time the OC is not 100% stable...

7. nosirrahx

nosirrahx Master Guru

GPU:
    HD7700
    Just let CPUZ run for 20 minutes, until temps leveled out for quite some time. So far I have not had any signs of stability issues but I guess I could throw prime95 at it or something similar.

People have gotten 5.2 and 5.3 stable on this CPU so 4.8 should be fine especially with liquid metal TIM and AIO cooling.

8. DAW40

DAW40 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1060 6GB
    That chip can go to 90c and still work, but 100c it will shut down comp. So 60c or 70c is great and in no way will it shorten life of CPU. What are your idle temps btw ?

9. jura11

jura11 Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3090 NvLink
    Hi there

Try Asus Realbench stress test or OCCT 4.4.2, these two I use most of the time for stress testing OC

CPU-Z is not best stress test, it won't punish CPU like other applications or games, you can try Watch Dogs 2 or Witcher 3 and few other games which do punish or use more cores than 2-4 as max

Regarding the temperatures they're not bad but I would try as above these SW or games and check temperatures again there

Hope this helps

Thanks, Jura

10. DAW40

DAW40 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1060 6GB
    You shall get a 5Ghz OC, however you must really up the voltage. I see you have a AIO so no worries I think you can pull it off. good job enjoy the CPU ; even when not OCed it screams and its fast and you won't tell a difference in games or other stuff too much, cuz its already super fast stock. OCing is more for benchmarking. Its not like your net will be fast or web pages will load faster. Or programs will open faster or restarting PC will be faster and what not. It's more for bragging rights.
    I have used my CPU @ 3.4Ghz and 4.6Ghz and I can't tell a difference if you didn't tell me.